PDA

View Full Version : NF Feather???

DFrink
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
So after a few of the places that I had planned to fish became unavailable due to the recent weather I am thinking about the NF of the Feather in two weeks (5-1). I’ve never fished this area, done some reading and have an idea of where to start and what fly’s to use. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the river should be holding up with the recent (and future) rain that we have received? It’s just over a two hour drive so I really don’t want to waste a full day of fishing if the river is in bad shape. Any information would be appreciated, as always PM’s are welcome.

Dan

Troutstalker55B
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
The NFFR is a great place to fish in spring due to the "Stairway of Power" Dams that control the flow of the river. It will not be too high, that's for sure. I've been fishing it since 72 and the best place to start is a mile below Tobin up to the bridge. Golden Stones, BH hare's ear, and if you see fish rising - a #14 creamy crane fly pattern will do great. Best of luck!

Jon.

DFrink
04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks John, that's the encouragement I needed! I started looking at the driving time and was getting nervous about wasting my 1st whole day of nothing but fishing since my son was born last May, can't wait.

Troutstalker55B
04-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I wish you the best, and if your not catching them - Move.
Tight lines!

Jon.

PS - be careful on those big polished boulders - I have ate shit more than once and scars to prove it!

DFrink
04-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks Jon. Those slippery boulders will get you. I was fishing in BFE a few years ago on the upper American, trying to reach some pocket water. I was leaning out further than I should have, slipped and fell down to my knees. As luck would have it there was a 3" diameter stump that had been broken off by high flows right below me. It got me in the bottom of the chin, nasty cut, bleeding all over my vest, still had a good time:nod:. The wife wasn't to happy when I came home and told her what had happened. "That sounds dangerous!" Since I have a kid to think about now I take it a little easier, but sometimes my courage of "youth" still gets me:cool:

wineslob
04-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I just fished the section mentioned above, right at the Tobin cabins. The water is a little high but not too bad. Golden Stones about 3' below a strike indicator worked the best, catching some nice fat Bows anywhere from 8" to 14". I missed a few bigger fish, but they seemed to be "slapping" at the fly, and woulden't just "take" it. The fish seemed to be concentrated in side riffles, and not in the deep water yet.
Below this section (down past Bucks PH/Rock Creek) the water is too high, PG&E is running the crap out of all the PH's. However, below Poe power dam the water flow is just about "normal". This is my favorite section to fish, but you need to be in pretty good shape to fish it. I need to put a few trips under my belt before I tackle that section of canyon.

*edit*

I almost forgot F&G has made the section from Cresta PH to Belden catch and release/barbless.

DFrink
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
If someone is willing to tell me how to access the stretch below the Poe Power Dam I would be willing to give it a shot. I don't know how "in shape" I need to be, but I run 5 miles a day so hopefully that will qualify? I love getting into places that take a little work to get to, keeps 99% of other people out.:nod: