PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead in the Classroom

IronMtn
04-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Never was there a fisherman so passionate about their sport than a steelheader. And thanks be to those fishermen, for if it weren't for them, we may never again have a good run of chrome giants in our home waters. If only our youngest generations knew that these fish now exist on a delicate thread held by those that strive to protect it above a vast expanse of those without concern, and without their help, after we're nothing more than a memory, this fish's existence may be lost entirely.

Without an outreach to our future leaders, many of the resources that we as fisherman love so much, and have worked so hard to protect, may be lost once we're gone. It's this message that Trout Unlimited is striving to instill in our children.

A grassroots project, the Trout and Steelhead in the Classroom project has begun to take hold locally thanks to several grade school teachers. Scott Lyons, a junior high teacher from Gold Trail School, successfully hatched and raised baby steelhead in his classroom with the help of his 8th grade class throughout the last few months.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/jjplank/Steelhead%20In%20The%20Classroom/IMG_3703.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/jjplank/Steelhead%20In%20The%20Classroom/IMG_3737.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be part of the release of these fry steelhead into the American River last week.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/jjplank/Steelhead%20In%20The%20Classroom/IMG_3704.jpg

It was amazing to see these students so engaged in the existence of these fish, some even having given the fish names.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/jjplank/Steelhead%20In%20The%20Classroom/IMG_3748.jpg

As the fish were released, students watched as their hard work had come to fruition.

Clearly, a connection had been made with these students, and it's these connections that will help our future generations understand exactly what an important part these fish play in our world, and what we may need to do to help protect them now and in the future.

For more information about Trout and Steelhead in the Classroom, please go to: http://www.sac-sierratu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63:trout-in-the-classroom&catid=37:programs&Itemid=188

Mrs.Finsallaround
04-21-2010, 01:36 PM
We have an Eggs In The Classroom program as well. We have over 40 tanks of steelhead in classrooms now. We hope we will soon have salmon eggs again, but only time will tell.

http://www.gbflycasters.org/conservation/conservation.htm

Dave Neal
04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for sharing your story and good work by Mr. Scott Lyons. This is a wonderful program for kids.

Grateful Trout
04-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks Iron Mt. for all your help with the project. The kids really enjoyed their flyfishing lessons. I just wanted to share the little press blurb I sent in to the Mt. Democrat. Yes, it selfishly feels good to see the recognition for the hard work, but more importantly, I share this to encourage other classroom teachers, at ALL grade levels, that the Trout/Salmon/Steelhead in the Classroom projects offer an endless bounty of opportunity for meaningful activities, discussions, and experiences for their students.

Here's the blurb:
Last week, 8th grade students from Gold Trail School were able to witness the culmination of a month-long project in their science class when they released 22 Steelhead Trout fry into the American River. The release of the fish was an emotional and rewarding experience for both teacher and students. Along with hatchery personnel, three members of the Sac-Sierra Trout Unlimited conservation group were on hand to witness the release of the Steelhead Trout which had been raised from eggs inside the students’ classroom at Gold Trail School. After the release, the students got a tour of the fish hatchery and were able to actually hand-feed many of the thousands of trout being raised at the hatchery. Following the hatchery tour, Trout Unlimited members gave the students fly fishing lessons.

I was extremely interested in bringing this project into my classroom. Here was a chance to connect students to their local environment and their local watershed. We studied California geography. We used topographic maps to follow the route our fish will need to navigate from their release site back down the rivers to the Pacific Ocean and, hopefully, back again. We examined water issues, habitat issues, recreational issues, and had some wonderful discussions about why we should care about fish and the environment. We researched what trout and salmon need in order to survive. We studied the lifecycle of trout and salmon. To have the students take a personal interest in the well-being of our fish guests while in our classroom was a wonderful thing to behold. There is no way this type of learning could take place without actually raising and releasing these fish. I hope to continue raising trout in the classroom for many years. I would like to thank the California Department of Fish & Game for the trainings, permits, and, of course, the eggs. I would like to thank my student Nick Kowalczyk and his parents for picking the eggs up from the hatchery. I would also like to thank the members of the Sac-Sierra Chapter of Trout Unlimited for their financial support of this project. Not only did they provide the equipment for this project, several members gave freely of their time to show their support of the students by giving fly fishing lessons and, more importantly, showing appreciation for the learning demonstrated by the students themselves.

Steelhead Trout are native to the American River watershed and once swam freely from the Pacific Ocean to upstream of Kyburz on the South Fork. Many of the students in the class live near the banks of the South Fork of the American and were interested to learn about what used to swim in our local waters. Presently, anadromous (fresh-to-salt water migrating) fish are blocked from their historical habitat by dams and other diversions. Researchers from UC Davis estimate that 80 – 95% of Steelhead habitat has been lost. It is not a coincidence that the California Department of Fish & Game estimates an approximate decrease of 90% in one Central Valley Steelhead population study.
As a part of the classroom project, students learned about the various species of trout and salmon living in California. I showed them slideshows about California’s Heritage Trout species. They were disappointed to hear that one species has already disappeared from California’s waters (Bull Trout from the McCloud River) and that 20 of the remaining 31 species of trout and salmon are in danger of extinction if present trends continue. While 22 Steelhead Trout are not going to be much of a supplement to the overall population, a greater impact for the future of California’s trout and salmon can be made by participating in this project.

Ismael Garcia said “One of the sad things was letting my fish go, but I hope that my fish goes to the ocean safe.”

Kaleb Thomas said “What I loved most about the fish hatchery was when we fed the fish.

Luka Bogdanovich said “We had a fun time fly fishing.”

Because many of the students showed an interest in fly fishing and learning more about aquatic insects, it is likely that Trout Unlimited members will be invited back into the classroom to teach fly tying lessons. For more information about this wonderful classroom project contact Scott Lyons at Gold Trail School or go to the Trout Unlimited website at www.sacsierratu.org.

Mr. Striper
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I hope my 2 boys get to do that when they get to the 8th grade.

Ned Morris
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
You are helping the cause by teaching future generations about the History/Ecology/and Conservation of our streams and fisheries. We should all follow your lead! Shoot me an email sometime to discuss summer trip.

wjorg
04-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Bravo!!

They are trying to start some schools up in the Russian River area as well...

Dustin Revel
04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
the kid holding the bag sure looks proud of his steelhead!
Good Work!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
http://www.troutintheclassroom.org/home

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/caep/

Colusa, CA school teacher and guide David Armocido is the person who found out that Diane Higgins had done this for her master thesis.

David got it started into the giant program world wide that it its today.

David received the Lee Wulff Memorial Conservation Award for his dedication to this wonderful teaching system.

http://www.diablovalleyflyfish.org/troutintheclassroom.html

STEELIES/26c3
05-03-2010, 12:59 AM
I spent a third of my life working with kids towards conservation of our natural resources. It's powerful stuff.

I'm happy to see it happening locally in a way which benefits something near and dear to my heart.

The AR and its fisheries...

Thanks for making a difference

><;))>M<;((><

BillB
05-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Great work! In our area, no steelhead here, we're all Trout in the Classroom. Great projects for kids!

I am preparing to rewrite the invertebrate curriculum and would appreciate any clever and innovative ideas. I only have about 30 minutes in the classroom and 20 minutes stream side. I like to cover what constitutes an insect to the most important of food sources. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Grateful Trout
05-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Hi,
I showed Ralph Cutter's Bugs of the Underworld in class. The kids were fascinated. I also showed portions of a Yellowstone Fly Fishing DVD I have. It really discussed the naturals (with footage) before going into appropriate patterns for imitating them. Both sources did an excellent job covering the main "groups" of "important" insects for trout. We did not go to the genus and species level but rather stayed at midge, mayfly, stonefly, caddis, and terrestrial level. I think one important thing that is so easily overlooked is that what we see over water is but one part of the lifecycle. Kids all get the caterpillar to butterfly thing, but my guys were blown away that some of the above mentioned insects spend (up to) years, or at least months, underwater in a totally different phase before becoming the flying insect we see. Obviously, collecting actual nymphs and adults from a local source and keying them out would be cool. You could also collect husks for ID. Are there any regs for collecting nymphs???

BillB
05-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks, I'll look into those videos. We do a keying activity where the kids, I deal with fourth graders, draw a picture from some overlays. Following their sketching activity they trade their drawing with another student and try to key what another student drew. One of the biggest problems I have is relating size. It does not really impress them until we get to the field. We use several encased, in epoxy, samples of large stone flys, caddis pupa etc., but actually seeing the real critters in motion is indispensable. Wouldn't it be nice to spend more time in the field? Multiple days would be great!