PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Ponderings

SHigSpeed
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Well, my first Pyramid adventure was a success.

First off, I drove. Bryan (Blueracer) rode shotgun. We didn't suffer any mechanical difficulties, we didn't drive through any gates or fences. We didn't get stuck in the sand. We did get turned around in Sparks, but we managed to get to the 'res okay.

Musings on:

Ladder fishing - I always thought this was curious. I love to float, and Bryan was skeptical and was leaning towards floating, but all of the gale force winds and tsunami warnings I've seen in the past had me convinced that it was safer to do as the Romans do, at least for the first trip out. Well, it was dead calm. Floating would've been perfectly safe, but I'm convinced that I wouldn't have done as well. The calves are a bit sore today, and the knees were a bit stiff last night, but I made it 10 hours on the blasted thing without falling off (definition: Didn't get water over my waders, though I did have to execute an unscheduled "dismount" once after the ladder started settling into the sand unevenly). A bit of water in the stripping basket and I was launching my full line (8 wt type 6 full sink) with a cast of NO MORE THAN TWO flies with relative ease. Need some pegs for my basket for next time. The Rio Mainstream full sink is only 82 feet though, which is a bit odd. I would have liked to have the full 90 or 100 because I didn't feel like shooting backing. I was overhead casting my 10'8" switch to great effect.

Weather - Like I mentioned, it was GORGEOUS! Pretty much only a "fishin ripple" on the water all day, went to glass at sunset. Stepped out of the car and never donned a jacket all day. I was worried since I'd heard that calm bluebird weather was not the best fishing weather...

Water - Gin clear, though the chemistry of it left ugly water spots on all of my gear. Temp went from 52 to 56 through the day. There were loads of fish in pods swimming through the ladders all day. It was amazing to see them jetting around behind the ladders in the shallow like bones in Bermuda! Some real toad in there too, though those tended to be more solitary.

Fishing - Not bad. I had a report from Saturday of 8 fish for 3 rods so I didn't go in with high expectations. It took a while to crack the code, which is even more frustrating when you see the roving pods all around. They wanted nothing to do with midges/nymphs. I had multiple pods run straight through my multi-fly booby-traps and I would tense up and hang on expecting the 'mabobber to shoot under with a trail of following bubbles, but NOTHING! Tried beetles, wooly worms, soft hackles, assorted nymphs, but I ended up getting all of my fish on olive or black buggers - small ones, size 8/10. All fish on the strip, and though I was zinging 90 feet, most takes were with a huge pile in the basket, necessitating some creative line management. Only needed the reel a couple of times. I'm guessing some days the ballistic cast is required, this day I could have made do with half of that. Steady catching all day that would come and go based on the pods coming through. Between Bryan and I we got over 20 fish to the net. He did better than me, and I'm blaming that on my stubborn insistence on not moving my ladder. Truth is the same fish most likely did laps and he just managed to cash in better than I did. Next time Gadget!! My biggest was 23", his just over that. No giants, but I'm thinking that's for the best. If I had nailed a 15 pounder this trip, the subsequent trips would be ruined out of expectation of similar results.

Miscellany:
- Not as crowded as I'd feared. Even though multiple groups were having "fests" this weekend, we managed to score a nice stretch of beach with a hundred feet or so between us.
- One guy who was with a Chico group managed to launch a fly THROUGH his eyeball across his pupil. Wind and darkness in the morning + no safety glasses = <shudder>! The doctors cut the eyeball across the two puncture wounds and pulled the fly out. Apparently the fly was barbed (oops!) so they couldn't simply pull it back, and they were afraid to put the cutters on it.
- Didn't see any giant fish caught, most were in the same range as we were getting (15"-24")
- Bryan and I were well ahead of average where we were fishing, though there were a couple obvious veterans who were clearly dialed in. Can't complain at all for rank newbies.
- My caster's/tennis elbow survived the full day of bomber casting. The lower grip on the switch rod is to be credited for this. I had it tucked against my elbow for the back cast relieving my wrist and forearm from the brunt of the work of hauling so much junk in the air and off of the water. That spot in the crook of my arm was tender by the end of the day, but no bruising, and the elbow lives to fight another day. Great tool that switch rod.

Oh yeah, gratuitous hero shot:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4535016930_e8c5781cca.jpg

I'll definitely be back out. This upcoming weekend is fried, but I may make a game-day call to play hooky one day during the week - who knows... It definitely seems like a nice place to camp though. The day trip is an exhausting undertaking, and it may take a couple/few days to laser into the zone and into the big 'uns. That or I need to build up a network of lake-saavy spies so we can compare notes to stay dialed.

Good times, new water no-skunk success is hard to beat.

_SHig

Scott V
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Nothing like a godd safe trip with the smell of fish to boot. Good job Shig, Pyramid is on onoe of my to-do lists.

leicafish
04-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Well, my first Pyramid adventure was a success.

All fish on the strip, and though I was zinging 90 feet, most takes were with a huge pile in the basket, necessitating some creative line management. Only needed the reel a couple of times. I'm guessing some days the ballistic cast is required, this day I could have made do with half of that.

_SHig

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and noticed the same thing. All the fish I caught were using a shooting head, buggers and beetles. I haven't quite figured out the nymphing thing there. I can't get myself to sit ontop of a ladder and watch my indicator. All the grabs I got were within the shooting head part of the retrieve which is about 27 feet. Some were still following the fly as I started my roll cast. Just wondering if anyone has an idea why the grabs are close in? Are they following for a ways without grabbing? Mixing up the retrieve didn't seem to matter much although I thought maybe I was retrieving faster at the end of the retrieve which was bring on a grab.

DonCooksey
04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Nice report. My caster's/tennis elbow has been acting up lately also, so that is why I stuck mostly with nymphs when I was there Thursday-Saturday. I used a slow retrieve of the indicator (about a foot), let it sit for a few seconds, then retrieved a little more, etc. So it was not quite as boring as indicator nymphing can be. Most of my takes were close to the edge of the drop-offs, within 15-30 feet of my ladder. The one fish I caught on a wooly worm took it only about 10 feet in front of me while wading near the Pelican boat ramp. That was the fish that a pelican grabbed and took off with, along with my flies!

Chris Evison
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Glad you had a good time 1st time out. Watch out though- you are not allowed more than 2 flies on the line.

Most hook-ups come in close as these guys a followers. They will follow in from 90ft out and eat the fly with only 6ft of leader past rod tip. Make sure you use a strip set- do not lift rod to set the hook when stripping flies.

I've had fish start hitting the fly 45-60ft out and not really eat it until it is on top of you. May have something to do with the fly starting to go up the drop we are normally set-up on and then lifting off the bottom. I tell clients to treat these fish like you would a pike/musky in close. If you see followers you may have to tease them right at the end!

When the fishing is really on (7-10 fish per hour) these fish will eat your flies on the drop before you start your retrieve. I have even caught fish by just letting the flies sit on the bottom with no movement.

SHigSpeed
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Glad you had a good time 1st time out. Watch out though- you are not allowed more than 2 flies on the line.

Most hook-ups come in close as these guys a followers. They will follow in from 90ft out and eat the fly with only 6ft of leader past rod tip. Make sure you use a strip set- do not lift rod to set the hook when stripping flies.

I've had fish start hitting the fly 45-60ft out and not really eat it until it is on top of you. May have something to do with the fly starting to go up the drop we are normally set-up on and then lifting off the bottom. I tell clients to treat these fish like you would a pike/musky in close. If you see followers you may have to tease them right at the end!

When the fishing is really on (7-10 fish per hour) these fish will eat your flies on the drop before you start your retrieve. I have even caught fish by just letting the flies sit on the bottom with no movement.

Did I say three flies? I thought I said two... What did I say? ;)

Bryan got his biggest fish on the drop. About freaked him out! I tried the tease trick and actually got one to go for it, but I wasn't ready for it and missed.

Can't wait to find time to go back and hone the special skill set. Also going to the drawing board to come up with a nice compact platform that'll fold up to fit in the trunk of my car.

_SHig

jbird
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey SHig. Way to go man! Nothing more rewarding than doing a bunch of homework before fishing a new spot and dialing it in on the first try.

Looks like you hit it just right. Great lookin fish ya got there!

SHigSpeed
04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Figured I'd post up a pic of what the place looked like most of the day... Like I said, gorgeous day for fishing!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/4537998938_5549c6d522.jpg

_SHig

Blueracer
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
[I added it to Ponderings originally but I don't many will be reading through it once again]

SHig covered much of the detail in his report but its high time I add mine too it.

To save time reading for everyone and posting for me I will just complement SHig and not repeat points or details he has already stated.

Gear: We both used the same line, my rod was an 11' 6wt switch and I feel it performed very nicely. I started out with not a lot of seperation between my flies but I did not like them as close together as they were so I lengthened up the leader. Fish came on three different standard flies so I just stuck with them all day and didn't really bother with the specials I'd tied up. I got nothing on the white beetle and soon changed it for black. Between it and some different buggers the fish were pretty consistent.

Chris Evison's comments are right on in my opinion. I use as much water as possible to expose the fly to as many fish as possible even if most fish would hit the fly pretty close I believe they are most likely following from a ways. I did hook into three pretty far out and one of those was with the fly dropping or just sitting still and startled me like crazy when my reel just started zinging! I also hooked one after getting the leader back to me and noticing a fish to my left so I changed the direction of my strip to try to bring the presentation near it and immediately got hit. When I looked back at my fly only about 15 feet in front of me, the fish had hit just as I changed direction. So changing it up as they follow may be useful. I also found that many takes would occur as the flies were getting closer to the surface about two rod lengths out. Perhaps the fish feel the fly is attempting to escape after they have followed it.

SHig and I getting 2 doubles during the day was a highlight. I failed to capitalize in both cases unfortunately. Also failed to land the last and biggest fish I had all day. It would not make its way toward me and was just steadily swimming back and forth. I was hoping to at least see it but it was not to be. Both are things to look forward to accomplishing on other trips. Getting 13 with two being 24 and one 23, 4 LDR's and seeing at least three followers that wouldn't take made a really enjoyable first trip to Pyramid Lake.

A side: I didn't bring stripping gloves. I left with minor skin cuts on my right index finger and a sharper close to blood red quarter inch cut on the bottom of the first joint of the same finger. My left middle finger was swollen until this morning and the nuckle of my left index finger bruised all from stripping mostly from the fish being on and gripping tight with my left hand, tight enough not to loose the hook set with the fish. Clearly I need gloves on both hands in the future and maybe need to be more aware of how my fingers are pressing on one another while stripping.

- Something that helped me out: I lost three straight fish at one point and decided maybe this fly/hook isn't so sharp anymore. After changing it out I no longer had the issue. Change those hooks and it might turn things around.

Thanks to SHig for doing all the driving, he knows how to handle a car. He's a darn good fisherman too. Though he did break a jinx rule on this outing..saying out loud the thoughts we have when that fish is on. "You better not loose that fish you better land em, at least get em to the suface to see em." It's okay Scott, I forgive you. ;)

Sorry about the late addition. Here are few photos to go along.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_xX-FJgNK6DU/S81Wn-ctVZI/AAAAAAAAAmQ/PRrfmSnrzfk/s912/Pyramid%20April%202010%20155.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xX-FJgNK6DU/S81O5yGgv1I/AAAAAAAAAig/Cdd6pvQKGwo/s800/Pyramid%20April%202010%20190.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xX-FJgNK6DU/S81OseIw4UI/AAAAAAAAAh4/ob6PBBIhvLw/s800/Pyramid%20April%202010%20167.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xX-FJgNK6DU/S81OnR_avBI/AAAAAAAAAho/ilAgq_7NeJg/s800/Pyramid%20April%202010%20163.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xX-FJgNK6DU/S81OmEzdBII/AAAAAAAAAhk/XgAo7lTpcME/s800/Pyramid%20April%202010%20162.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xX-FJgNK6DU/S81SrxX8FSI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/rzIcd3hC2ns/s800/Pyramid%20April%202010%20177.JPG