PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing 8wt

pit
04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Looking for a new steelhead rod- 8wt 9.5-10' to use with shooting head. My 7wt just isn't cutting it for big flies. My price range is 300-650, i also need a reel and intermediet line to match; price range 300-400. Lets here about your favorite combo...any info would be nice. Anyone fish a redington? I've herd they fish as good as rods twice the price. Thanks for responding. -Pit:fish:

Darrin.Deel
04-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I threw the Scott S4S with a 8wt GPX at the Sacramento show, and I was really impressed. I am going to pick one up before I go to Ascension in December.

What are you using the rod for?

pit
04-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Steehhead - shooting head - swinging - limited nymphing with floating line

Larry S
04-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Pit:
If you're near Kiene's shop, you should stop in and see what they have to offer. If not,
any fly shop worth its salt will string up some rods and let you cast them. You might
be surprised with some of the rods at the lower $ end. Its possible to get a great rod,reel,
and line and still stay below that $650 figure.
Bill Kiene was pitching a Scott switch rod (demo) that would make a great steelhead
rod - see classifieds.
Best of luck in your search.
Larry S
San Diego

Pound
04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
What 7wt are you throwing now?

Currently I have a 10’ z-axis 7wt in which I paired that with an 8wt Atlantic salmon / steelhead line, which can handle bigger flies or heavy weights remarkably well. I have also bought some shooting heads for it, but I haven’t really tried them out yet in actual fishing situations. So I am sure an 8wt would handle that much more, but it is a tad out of the price range you gave.

However, I also really like my 9’ Redington CPS 9wt, which I primarily use for my shooting head set up for stripers. It has a solid backbone and can chuck the heavies out there without collapsing, unless I overpower my stroke, which has been known to happen. The CPS has been replaced by the CPX and is well within your price range. I would definitely give that a shot. I have a friend who was borrowing a cpx switch rod and loved it.

And I do give thumbs up for my Galvan reels.

Pound

ted1
04-20-2010, 11:02 AM
The Beulah guide series is a good one too, I've got a 9ft 8wt. I can throw up to maybe a 4/0 clouser comfortably w/shooting head. I've got an albright GPR 9/10 whith it, I really like this reel, and they are inexpensive if you can find them.

Pimpinmeat
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I would check out the Redington line-up as well. I bought a CPS 8wt as a back-up and it's turned out to be a fantastic rod. I have a Z-Axis and XP that are my main rods but use the CPS quite often. Also a big fan of Galvan's, I own 6 and have been very pleased and use them for everything. Great customer service to go along with a great reel.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Interestingly enough sales of 9'6" and 10' #8 weights are way down at our shop in Sacramento?

We sell lots of 9'6" rods in #4 through 7 weight though.

We sell some 10' rods in #4 through 7 weight too.

Maybe for single hand casting a 10' #8 is too much for most peoples wrists? If you are buying a 10' rod it better be in the highest modulus materials so it is light.

People usually use 9' to 9'6" for throwing shooting heads.

10' is usually more for full line with lots of mending or nymphing.

Most fish 9' rods from boats, especially in the saltwater.

That use to be the go to serious Steelhead rod in Nor Cal, OR, WA and BC some years back.

We are guessing that so many indicator nymph for Steelhead now with a 9'6" #7 rod or they have moved to Spey rods?

Naturally we sell tons of 9' #8 rods for Stripers, Bonefish, etc.........

PS: From $300 to $650 there are way too many rods to choose from.

590Mike
04-23-2010, 01:45 PM
You might look at Grays streamflex series or the Hardy rods also. I cast the 5wt Marksman at Kienes and it on the "next " rod list. As for reels my personal choice has been Galvan since Bill started carrying them years ago. Bill is dead on about the 10' single handers, I took one to Alaska in a Scott 7wt and towards the end of the day the rod tends to be a touch heavy when throwing big bunny leeches or zonkers.
Geez its tough with all those rods and reels to look at, you poor guy,its a tough job but someone has to do it I guess.hahha

flyfishinwoman
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
is an Orvis Hydros, tip flex and a Galvan Torque T 8. (love the Galvan, and want to use it with an 8 - 10 wt.) It can hurl anything I've tried to hurl. Tried it at the Kiene Show (thanks again Bill, it was a blast!) and fell in love with it on the second cast (made sure the first one wasn't a fluke!). Hit the hula hoop two times in a row...as Darth Vader said, "Impressive!" I still like Wonderline and Cortland 444...but that's just me. Heck...go see Bill & the gang and cast 'em all. Let us know what you choose...;)

pit
04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the info and ideas. Now thanks to Bill I'm leaning toward
9'-9.5' 8wt single hand and possibly a two handed 12.5-13.5 7wt. Let me ask one more question to all of you, if you could have any steelhead rod regardless of price or stature what would it be? -Pit