PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Ladder prototype...

SHigSpeed
04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
If I end up going more, I'm sure I'll modify this or get another that's more compact to fit in a normal car...

For now, stripping basket (finger pegs for next time), rod holder, net holder, and gear bag. I added a lean pad to keep the shins happy.

Enjoy!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4529100134_8aae435752_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4529099266_be8a39b202_b.jpg

_SHig

michaeln
04-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Where's the grenade launcher?

Darian
04-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey!!! How come there's no fish finder on it :question: Seems to me you could apply a bit of IT knowledge here. Computers come with satellites (notebooks) that can be docked or removed for mobility. SOOoooo,.... How about mounting a pontoon or tube on top, conduct launching and recovery activities from the ladder :question:

Seriously tho, is the foam knee pad thick enough to cause the ladder to float loose from the bottom :question: If so, it could drift while you're not standing on it.... Just a thought.... :confused:

SHigSpeed
04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey!!! How come there's no fish finder on it :question: Seems to me you could apply a bit of IT knowledge here. Computers come with satellites (notebooks) that can be docked or removed for mobility. SOOoooo,.... How about mounting a pontoon or tube on top, conduct launching and recovery activities from the ladder :question:

Seriously tho, is the foam knee pad thick enough to cause the ladder to float loose from the bottom :question: If so, it could drift while you're not standing on it.... Just a thought.... :confused:

I HAD considered putting my fishfinder on it, and I thought the buoyancy of the foam would float it, but I figured it'd be a benefit. True floating away would suck... By "law" I'm not supposed to leave the ladder unattended though, so if I play by the rules, it won't happen...

BTW, this only becomes a problem if the ladder falls over. Under normal use the waterline is WAY below the foam unless I plan to swim out to plant the ladder! :)

_SHig

Dean Y.
04-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Interesting rig. What factors did you consider with the rod and net holders being placed in the horizontal PVC? Freedom of movement? Have you considered putting the rod and net holder inline with the legs of the ladder? Perhaps, you could strap them to the front legs instead of the horizontal PVC.

SHigSpeed
04-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I chose to mount the rod holder outboard because it's for a spare rod. With it close it'd get in the way. The net? Well the pipe was that long. ;^)

Though I can get well out of the water with this, I'm a bit concerned about calf fatigue from the narrow rung vs a painter's platform ladder.

I'll let you know after tomorrow!

_SHig

Mike Churchill
04-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Shig,

Nice looking ladder, but I think you are in for big time calf fatigue standing on that narrow step.

I fished Pyramid a couple of times a few years back using a painter's ladder. No calf fatigue but I had to get out of the water every hour or so to get the circulation back in my toes--lack of movement = lack of blood flow down there in the cold water.

Second point: what have you done for "feet" to keep it from sinking in the mud? I used PVC pipes a few feet long duct taped across the legs just above the narrow feet my ladder came with.

Third point: you might want to tie a small plastic bottle (like an empty water bottle) to the lower part of one leg with about four feet of line. That way, if you accidentally knock if over, you can pull it up with the line instead of having to stick your arm down in that cold water, but the bottle stays close to the ladder and doesn't get in the way.

Good luck.

Mike

SHigSpeed
04-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Shig,

Nice looking ladder, but I think you are in for big time calf fatigue standing on that narrow step.

I fished Pyramid a couple of times a few years back using a painter's ladder. No calf fatigue but I had to get out of the water every hour or so to get the circulation back in my toes--lack of movement = lack of blood flow down there in the cold water.

Second point: what have you done for "feet" to keep it from sinking in the mud? I used PVC pipes a few feet long duct taped across the legs just above the narrow feet my ladder came with.

Third point: you might want to tie a small plastic bottle (like an empty water bottle) to the lower part of one leg with about four feet of line. That way, if you accidentally knock if over, you can pull it up with the line instead of having to stick your arm down in that cold water, but the bottle stays close to the ladder and doesn't get in the way.

Good luck.

Mike

I was concerned about the feet. I'll try to make landing pads tonight!

Hopefully I won't have cold feet as I should be dry. As for floats, good call!

_SHig

jayclarkflyfishing
04-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Simplify your rig.No need for the lean foam as you should be standing on the ladder not leaning.Attach your spare rod to the ladder itself.Ditch the PVC as it will be a pain in the butt in the big waves and may cause you lots of problems.You are over thinking the ladder thing.KISS is the rule of thumb.
Also, there is no need for a fish finder as they will be easy enough to see swimming around your ladder.Also a ladder that light is going to get pummeled in the big waves and WILL get knocked down(with you on it).Attach an empty plastic water bottle with 6' of small rope directly to the ladder so you can find your ladder when it gets knocked downand pull it up without getting too wet.
Not trying to be a buzzkill,but I have years of experience fishing Pyramid and what you are planning on fishing from is overkill.

Jay

Scott V
04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
My float tube rack holds more rods than that thing, make it bigger Shig. I see room for the satellite dish on the side.

JD
04-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Do yourself a favor and leave the ladder at home. You can catch plenty of fish without them.

jbird
04-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I say add a lawn chair and an umbrella to the very top. You know, the top step that says 'not a step' ;-)

Hairstacker
04-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Whoa there. For a moment, I thought you were building one of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Huts_Over_Water_3.jpg

Just foolin'. :p Hope you nail 'em SHig! :D

SHigSpeed
04-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Whoa there. For a moment, I thought you were building one of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Huts_Over_Water_3.jpg

Just foolin'. :p Hope you nail 'em SHig! :D

Oooh, bonefish ladder! :^)

Got a report from today - big crowds and 8 fish for 3 rods. Meh...

It can only get better, right?!?

_SHig

DFrink
04-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Shig,

You build some pretty cool lookin gear (I've seen your tube rod holders, etc.), thanks for sharing.

Hairstacker
04-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Shig,

You build some pretty cool lookin gear (I've seen your tube rod holders, etc.), thanks for sharing.

I second that! I always think of fishing in terms of fly fishing and fly tying . . . SHig makes you seriously consider a 3rd area -- gear building. Very cool. 8)

SHigSpeed
04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
I second that! I always think of fishing in terms of fly fishing and fly tying . . . SHig makes you seriously consider a 3rd area -- gear building. Very cool. 8)

Add rod building to that as well! :) If I can make it, I do!

_SHig

bigfly
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Long ago, I was fishing Pyramid a lot, (Week long blocks of time, for months on end, for years).
I found that being way-high on a shiny 6 ft ladder can spook them as they come in close, (which they do).
Just about the time I could see them, they saw me.
Got a Werner three step utility ladder, painted it green. Instantly more hook ups.
It folds flat, is lighter and more mobile too.
My feet are in the water (and cold), but the "steps" are bigger, and I have padded the waist high lean bar, with a stripping basket sorta like yours. Even with the your extra height, wading past every one else in the line will garner you a hairy eyeball, (The locals like a straight line.). Besides, when the waves come up (which they will) you cannot get off it without going over your waders. Let alone, rescuing the ladder.
Along with the crates from the old days, when they were legal, there must be hundreds of ladders on the bottom of the lake. Be careful out there, recently, several guys needed to be flown out after falling from their ladders, (cold water shock/drowning). One of my my motos was born out there. "Have fun, be careful, try to do both at the same time."

Jim

Hairstacker
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Add rod building to that as well! :) If I can make it, I do!

_SHig

Good point, I don't know how I forgot about rod building given the tools, supplies, blanks and components I have laying around here waiting for attention. :oops:

SHigSpeed
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Long ago, I was fishing Pyramid a lot, (Week long blocks of time, for months on end, for years).
I found that being way-high on a shiny 6 ft ladder can spook them as they come in close, (which they do).
Just about the time I could see them, they saw me.
Got a Werner three step utility ladder, painted it green. Instantly more hook ups.
It folds flat, is lighter and more mobile too.
My feet are in the water (and cold), but the "steps" are bigger, and I have padded the waist high lean bar, with a stripping basket sorta like yours. Even with the your extra height, wading past every one else in the line will garner you a hairy eyeball, (The locals like a straight line.). Besides, when the waves come up (which they will) you cannot get off it without going over your waders. Let alone, rescuing the ladder.
Along with the crates from the old days, when they were legal, there must be hundreds of ladders on the bottom of the lake. Be careful out there, recently, several guys needed to be flown out after falling from their ladders, (cold water shock/drowning). One of my my motos was born out there. "Have fun, be careful, try to do both at the same time."

Jim

For sure the fish would come cruising my way and exit stage left as soon as they were within a few feet. Spooky buggers these fish. Plop a flyline over them and they scamper.

At one point I pulled my ladder BACK because it was useless trying to effectively fish less than a rod length away anyway.

I'm going to start a new thread on my musings from yesterday as well... Seeya on the flip side...

_SHig

DonCooksey
04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I just returned from Pyramid yesterday and had good luck with a ladder I borrowed from a friend that looked like the one below. I wished that I had a rod holder on it, however, like SHig has done. I was switching between nymphing and stripping but had to run back to the car to do so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/d4b49c37-278f-424f-828d-a6df2b7f5d9.jpg

It is just a Werner utility ladder with a platform you can stand on and lean against the top rail if necessary. My friend modified his with large flat plastic feet to keep it from sinking into the sand, but mine without the feet did not sink too badly, depending on the beach.

Here was one of my best fish - caught on a red nymph with a 7-wt bamboo rod.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/IMGP1730c.jpg

Landed 8 fish, mostly on red nymphs. One 18-incher got away when a pelican ate it and my flies just before I could land it.

SHigSpeed
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Wow, I had red nymphs in all shapes and sizes in front of fish and couldn't get a take. What's your secret? :)

Under in indi?

_SHig

DonCooksey
04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I stuck with a #10 red Copper John (with bead head) and a #10 red Maholo (no bead) dropper the whole time. The Copper John was about 7-8' under the indicator at places like Pelican and Warrior but 10-11' under the indicator at Wino, where I had the most luck. On Thursday and Friday, the few fish I caught hit the Copper John. On Saturday morning, they were only hitting the Maholo. I'm sure the key was my old bamboo rod and Hardy reel; the fish must have just been curious. There was a lot of noise from the old reel when that 23-incher took off against virtually no drag (just a click check system) and my seemingly undergunned 7-wt Battenkill.

bigfly
04-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Yep, that's my ladder, (painted green w/PVC cross braces for legs, and pipe insulation on the lean bar). Had one a little like that, but steel frame, bad bad.
Been thinking of adding a gimbaled beer holder. Might come in handy.
I like a home made rod holder, unattached to my ladder, (in case I do a hasty dismount), and staked out on my left (I'm a righty).
My personal tips:
1. I have a designated streamer jacket, with hood, for Pyramid, the back is full of holes from hooks, but still cuts the wind.
Don't ruin a good one! Take clothes for tropical thru arctic conditions (and in case of swim).
2. The little magnets to hold rod against the truck are a good thing to have.
3. Do not leave anything laying out unattended. The wind threw my 150 lb pram into the lake. Now it is pulled on shore, and tied to the truck.
4. Lady bug beetles will make a few rise about now (Sierra windfall), luckily, I had my tying kit with me, and red foam.
5. Take tying kit.
6. The dragon fly nymph migration, will start soon. My favorite!
7. Camp a few days, let the quiet seep in, and attack at dawn, instead of driving then. Go easy on caffeine before fishing, or many trips to shore will result (and less fishing) (and a citation if not using a potty).
8. Wash the gear in fresh water afterwards.
Enjoy a great fishery!

Jim

Blueracer
04-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Jim, thanks for the great info. Very interesting. Some great pointers and advice there.

medfly
04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
needs beer holder

Scott V
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
needs beer holder

Just use one of those 2 beer holder helmets so you can keep on fishing and get sun shade at the same time. And everyone thought those were only good for football games and NASCAR races.

mark
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
GOT to have a beer holder. Nothing like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA to warm the soul when the fishing slows down.

bigfly
04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Actually, I hear the product is called a Beer Belly. You google it.
Mark, did you look in my cooler?
Another thought, a Great Basin growler. Icky me. Good reason to camp as well.
Stop to chat if you see my white truck. I don't "give" advice, (and I don't have a permit to guide there anyway) but I will share experience, and maybe a beer too.

Jim