PDA

View Full Version : Mono County in August

YEM
04-17-2010, 09:33 AM
My cousins from Germany are visiting us in August. They want to see Yosemite and also go fishing with me. They don't know how to fish (they tell me it isn't easy to get a fishing license in Germany, you must pass a test!) so I think maybe we should spend a few days in the Eastern Sierra -- maybe June Lake or Mammoth -- before we go into Yosemite.

Can anyone suggest a place to stay? There will be five of us (2 couples and a child) and the ideal situation would be a little cabin. A condo, lodge, or motel would work too. Camping isn't an option (that is what I normally do when I visit this area).

Larry S
04-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Yem:
Mammoth does have a Motel 6. And a number of other chains. For condo rentals, check out

http://www.visitmammoth.com/hotels/

A number of condo rentals are available; you can view many of them on the link
above.
Lake Crowley should be hitting its peak in August; high temperatures, winds, weed beds,
and algae blooms are all factors. The lake has boat rentals including pontoon boats for
larger groups. No bait fishing is allowed in the lake after August 1. Midge/indicator
fishing is very popular. Lots of other fishy lakes and streams nearby.
PM me for more info if interested.
Larry S

Hibbygibi
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
If your family is looking for a Alpine experience this should fill the bill. It is located about three miles from the eastern entrance to the park on hwy120

http://www.tiogapassresort.com/summeraccom.shtml

My cousins from Germany are visiting us in August. They want to see Yosemite and also go fishing with me. They don't know how to fish (they tell me it isn't easy to get a fishing license in Germany, you must pass a test!) so I think maybe we should spend a few days in the Eastern Sierra -- maybe June Lake or Mammoth -- before we go into Yosemite.

Can anyone suggest a place to stay? There will be five of us (2 couples and a child) and the ideal situation would be a little cabin. A condo, lodge, or motel would work too. Camping isn't an option (that is what I normally do when I visit this area).

YEM
04-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. There are a lot of options and the links you've given me will help sort them out. Sure am looking forward to this trip!

Dave Neal
04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
It's been already mentioned, there are tons of places that fit your bill around here. June Lake area has the Double Eagle Resort and several hotels. The Tioga Pass Resort is a good tip. And in Mammoth there are tons and tons of options from condos, hotels, and forest service cabins for rent. Check out Tamarack Lodge at Twin Lakes (Mammoth Twin Lks) and Convict Lake Resort.

One thing to consider: August is prime time tourist season around here. Many of the nicer, quaint resorts and cabins may be booked far in advance, so if you find one you like... jump on it.

As for fishing? There are just as many fishing options as lodging options... feel free to shoot me an email as you get closer to your dates and I'll make some suggestions as where you might wanna take your cousins fishing.

You will have a great time.

Ned Morris
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
A couple personal favorites of mine:

Lundy Lake Resort Cabins

Virginia Lakes Cabins

Tuolumne Meadows Lodge (need to book at least 1 year in advance)

If ever on the west entrance of Yosemite/Hwy. 120 my personal favorite in the Evergreen Lodge

YEM
04-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I've camped and fished at Virginia Lakes and up in the back country many times. I thought about the cabins, but their website says a one-week minimum stay. And I've read mixed reviews about the condition/cleanliness of the cabins. I'm not too picky about that, but this is a family situation.

Booked a condo on the slope at Mammoth thru the site Larry referred. It should suit our needs for a "family vacation" although it wouldn't be my first choice for a serious fishing trip. Thanks to everyone who offered advice -- and please feel free to post or PM additional suggestions about fishing around Mammoth.

Dave

Larry S
04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
YEM:
I would take Dave Neal up on his offer of email advice just before your trip.
He's a very respected guide in the Mammoth area and you won't get better
info.
Larry S

YEM
08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Just returned from our vacation. Thanks to all who suggested places to stay and fish, especially Dave Neal for local fishing info.

On Thursday and Friday, I fished at Mamie and George Lakes with three of my German cousins. They have little or no experience, so I had to do practically everything. "We" caught fish with night crawlers and power bait, but bait dunking with four rods isn't my idea of fun. At least we got something for the frying pan. I did a little bit of sight fishing with my fly rod (and actually caught a fish on my first cast) but it would have been a lot better with a tube or boat.

On Saturday, I fished the San Joaquin above Soda Springs campground from around 3 to 6 p.m. One of my cousins came along and learned something about fly fishing. We used dry flies most of the time. In three hours I caught and released two fish, a 6-7" brookie and a chunky 16" rainbow. Too bad I didn't bring my camera. It was one of the most beautiful rainbows I ever caught. The red stripe! I'd like to have another look at that fish. My cousin didn't hook up but was excited to have a few rises. Both of us had a great time. How can you not enjoy being in that canyon? It was my first time on that stream. I'm pretty sure it won't be my last.

Woodman
08-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I actually kind of like the taking a test to get a fishing license idea in the original post. Could really reduce the crowds.
;)

YEM
08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
My relatives tell me it is difficult to get a fishing license in Germany. You must study and pass a complicated test to get a license, and furthermore, there are different classes of licenses for different species of fish. I wonder what happens if you have, say, a trout license... and you catch a catfish? Is this punishable by prison or just a fine?

All kidding aside, I think there are pros and cons to the German system. Stricter licensing may result in more knowledgeable anglers who are better stewards of nature. I assume that is the Germans' rationale. But if getting a license is so hard that ordinary folks are discouraged from even trying, that's a shame. I don't think fishing should be reserved for the elites. I guess the ideal system would strike a balance between education and access. I suspect Germany may be too far on the education side, the USA too far on the access side.