PDA

View Full Version : Got sharks?

GreggH
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I just got these pics from Darren who ties commercialy and is a local here in Sonoma County. I asked him to tie up some shark candy for the SF Bay and Tamales. These turned out killer and I can't frigg'n wait to get into a 4 foot Lepeard on my 9wt. If any of you would like some of these PM me for his contact info. Also, PM me if you would like to join me as my guest. FYI- these are tube flys and hopefully they will slide up the line during the fight. #1 is a spun deer hair & #4 has a foam head for some up top action!!! "HOLLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT" : )

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/519.jpg

David Lee
04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Try a 1/0 Chart/White Clouser - they work pretty good .

D.~

Hairstacker
04-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey, nice one David! Bet you had fun with that one. :D

Loren E
04-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Gregg, it sounds like you might be a bit misinformed about leopard sharks. Those flies would probably do a serious number on blue sharks or small makos in the blue water, but leopards are a totally different story. They cruise the bottom and are mostly a scavenger. They will sometimes chase down a baitfish imitation like David's smallish 1/0 clouser, but have small eyes so do a lot of feeding by smell and scavenging rather than chasing anything down, especially near the surface. Their mouths aren't too big, and they're on the bottom of the head to eat off the bottom. You'd be a lot better off with 1/0-2 weighted clousers and shrimp patterns, fished along the bottom. Hope this helps quicken the learning curve a bit -Loren

PaulC
04-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I'd second what Loren said.
I've honestly only caught 4 of these guys fair in the mouth over the years.
Plenty more fouled while blind casting for perch, etc.
Granted, opportunity isn't consistent and the beaches aren't exactly crawling with them.

Getting one fair on the fly or any artificial is quite the accomplishment.
They just don't seem to aggressively charge the fly like a mako or a blue offshore.
The one I got sight casting had more of a leisurely stroll like swim up to the fly, and only lit up when it was stung on the strip set.

They are great fighters when it works out.
Especially one of the size David is holding. Nice fish!

The guys down here that do really well are usually pinning perch or using other bait.

-Paul

Tony Buzolich
04-17-2010, 08:23 AM
My daughter lives in Mill Valley and says she sees them often when she's jogging around Bayfront Park or Richardson Bay. She said they always seem to be cruising or rooting around rocks in the shallows looking for food.

Loren, you're right on about the type of fly to use. Adding a drop or two Pro-Cure will really help as well.

GreggH
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Great stuff you guy's. Thanks for the heads up. Last year we ran into piles of big Leopards out in Tamales live bait'n halibut. I just figured the standard shark fly would work for those sharks. The Richardson Bay sight casting to them sounds great, I grew up near there and have fished it for years. I used to wade the point near the Farrari dealer and fan cast for stripers during the summer. Thanks again for the info, well done. FYI- Anybody want to fish the bay PM me and I'll fish ya as my guest. I have all the gear. Just bring the good mojo. We lost a pig yesterday!!!! :)

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC01482.jpg

Loren E
04-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Healthy looking schoolie Gregg. I'd definitely take you up on your offer to get out and cast for bass if I weren't stuck in WA at school until June.

Keep the reports coming though -Loren