PDA

View Full Version : Driving the Beaches at Pyramid

SHigSpeed
04-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Do I need 4WD? Or are they packed enough to take the family truckster van?

Thanks!

_SHig

Darian
04-15-2010, 08:58 AM
There're parts of the shoreline at Pyramid that're packed and would support a 2 wheel drive vehicle (the nets and Tamaracs, etc.) The trick in many of places is ground clearance. Some of the dirt roads are full of ruts or the tracks are so deep I suppose you could get high centered But I've seen small trailers on the beach at the nets (remember, the nets are closed to fishing until later in the year).

Having said that, there're some beaches that are close to parking places along the roads. So a 2 wheel drive car is doable. Most of the popular areas are packed. If you go over to the east, south east side of the lake (Dago Bay) to avoid the crowds, the sand is a bit less packed and it's easy to get into some trouble there.

You might consider taking a small shovel and maybe a couple of strips of outdoor carpeting along to help dig yourself out if you do get stuck....

If you pick up your fishing permit on the "res", pick up a map from the tribe, too. It's a very good map and shows the regs on the back.

Good luck.... :D :D

SHigSpeed
04-15-2010, 09:45 AM
There're parts of the shoreline at Pyramid that're packed and would support a 2 wheel drive vehicle (the nets and Tamaracs, etc.) The trick in many of places is ground clearance. Some of the dirt roads are full of ruts or the tracks are so deep I suppose you could get high centered But I've seen small trailers on the beach at the nets (remember, the nets are closed to fishing until later in the year).

Having said that, there're some beaches that are close to parking places along the roads. So a 2 wheel drive car is doable. Most of the popular areas are packed. If you go over to the east, south east side of the lake (Dago Bay) to avoid the crowds, the sand is a bit less packed and it's easy to get into some trouble there.

You might consider taking a small shovel and maybe a couple of strips of outdoor carpeting along to help dig yourself out if you do get stuck....

If you pick up your fishing permit on the "res", pick up a map from the tribe, too. It's a very good map and shows the regs on the back.

Good luck.... :D :D

Cool, I'll stick to the crowded areas then! Be plenty of help if I do go dumb. Planning to hit it Sunday if anyone has some recon they'd care to share. :)

First timer so be gentle... ;)

_SHig

Reno Flytyer
04-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey Shig...gotta be careful if'n you are stuck...getting anyone other than the tribe's authorized tow services will cost you plenty!
RFT

SHigSpeed
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey Shig...gotta be careful if'n you are stuck...getting anyone other than the tribe's authorized tow services will cost you plenty!
RFT

What? The tribe charges a "corkage fee" for a good Samaritan to help pull you out?

Hmm...

_SHig

Reno Flytyer
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Big time. From the war stories I've heard, you'll want no part of that!! They still have to catch you though!
RFT

1flyfisher
04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
You can have anyone pull you out, a friend or anyone at the lake.

RFT

1flyfisher
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
NO that is not true.

What? The tribe charges a "corkage fee" for a good Samaritan to help pull you out?

Hmm...

_SHig

SHigSpeed
04-15-2010, 05:20 PM
NO that is not true.

Mind if I call you if I get stuck? :)

_SHig

1flyfisher
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Sure I just got a new 4wd. I will be getting a recovery strap and D-ring soon.

Mind if I call you if I get stuck? :)

_SHig

gene goss
04-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Most cell phones will not work at Pyramid Lake......so don't get stuck....you might check out the points. between the bays.

Chris Evison
04-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Be very careful driving without 4WD. You can be on what looks like solid ground and then up to axles in the soft clay that looks dry on top.

Verizon cell users now get good reception at the lake and AT&T users get sporadic coverage. A buddy of mine with Verizon now gets 5 bars at the lake. Verizon has apparently added or upgraded their tower.

In 1996 a friend of mine got a $120 ticket for helping get somebody out of the sand (after we told the people not to drive off the road). When they got stuck we told them we could only take them back to Suttcliffe to call the tribal towers. They couldn't believe that we wouldn't tow them out. After much begging we relented and the good deed got my friend the ticket. Luckily the English couple gave him the money for the ticket.

SHigSpeed
04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Be very careful driving without 4WD. You can be on what looks like solid ground and then up to axles in the soft clay that looks dry on top.

Verizon cell users now get good reception at the lake and AT&T users get sporadic coverage. A buddy of mine with Verizon now gets 5 bars at the lake. Verizon has apparently added or upgraded their tower.

In 1996 a friend of mine got a $120 ticket for helping get somebody out of the sand (after we told the people not to drive off the road). When they got stuck we told them we could only take them back to Suttcliffe to call the tribal towers. They couldn't believe that we wouldn't tow them out. After much begging we relented and the good deed got my friend the ticket. Luckily the English couple gave him the money for the ticket.

So was the ticket for driving off the road then? Or for hijacking their racket?

Interesting...

I'll make sure to keep in the wheel tracks of the big motorhomes that make it to the beach!

_SHig

michaeln
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
The more I hear about Pyramid, the less I want to go there.

1flyfisher
04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
I have heard people say that you can'tn tow someone out that you will be ticketed. I called the ranger station and asked and you can pull someone out that is stuck. If you need a tow truck it has to be a tribal tow truck or you will be ticketed. If you get stuck and need a tow truck it has to be a tribal tow co and same if you break down and need a tow, you can't use AAA or a reno tow co. But the ranger station says you can get yourself unstuck and you can use recovery straps etc and anyone can help you push the vehicle out or pull it out with their 4wd vehicle.
Air down to 12 pounds if you get stuck.
You should have a shovel and be prepared to deal with getting stuck.
There is a lot of sand, stay on the road.

1flyfisher
04-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Just exercise caution and some common sense and don't risk any questionable areas and you will be fine with 2wd. The sand is pretty firm overall at pyramid compared to sugar sand on the east coast.
Most people when they begin to get stuck tend to gun it. If you do this in soft sand you will bury it to the axle and then you will need a tow truck.
If you begin to get stuck and the wheels are spinning, stop. Get out of the vehicle and air down to 12 pounds. In the least You should carry a tire gauge, recovery strap, shovel, jack, spare. A tire inflator is nice. I have one and it is nice to have. I maintain my tire pressure for maximum life and when I go close to the water in the sand I can air down and reinflate easily. There is Air at the store next to the ranger station next to the gas pumps.

Interesting...

I'll make sure to keep in the wheel tracks of the big motorhomes that make it to the beach!

_SHig

leicafish
04-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Interesting...

_SHig

4WD is no guarantee of not getting stuck. I was up there last week and drove onto the beach near Popcorn rock. There was a guy in a 4wd Durango stuck in the sand to his axles. I offered to call someone but he said he had a friend coming. Along comes his friend in a 4WD F250 and he promptly got stuck in the sand too. Made me think of lemmings or the tar pits or something. I ended up calling for a tow for them and can confirm that the ATT coverage is weak.

A few years ago I was driving along the beach with 4WD at Warrior Point and following someones tracks and got stuck to my axles in mud. I was able to get the tribal guy to come out on Easter as it was getting dark and he pulled me out after much difficulty. He could have charged me anything but ended up charging me something like $120. It would have been a lot more if someone from Reno had come out.

In fairness to the tribe, it is their land and we are guests there. Historically, we have done plenty to mess up their lake... like make the lahontans go extinct.

michaeln
04-17-2010, 09:07 AM
4WD is no guarantee of not getting stuck.

I have owned many 4WD vehicles over the years, and I have become convinced that 4WD mostly allows you to get stuck in places where nobody can help you.

So, I carried a Hi-Lift jack, carpeting, shovels and had a big ass Warn winch on the bumper along with tow straps and shackles and you name it.

4WD can definitely give you a false sense of security.

Motofish
04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I'll to your list about the warn winch, add a good danforth (sp?) type boat anchor the type with big flat blades to use in the sand..... as there are no trees at pyramid! Victor

Digger38
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Im glad this post was started because I have been fishing Pyramid and I have been kind of afraid to hit some of the beaches because I only have a little 2wd Ranger Pick up. Do you guys think it's safe to drive my 2wd to Pelican? I really dont want to take a chance on getting stuck.

SHigSpeed
04-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Pelican will be no problem. I drove on it with my FWD minivan.

_SHig

Motofish
04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Digger, most areas from Sutcliff to Warriors pt. (going north) is pretty solid, just stay on the main dirt roads. going south from Sutcliff towards Nixon the paths are not traveled as much and is not as flat like the north area of the lake, 4wd is a must there or just stay high on the cliffs and walk in. Just remember it's very easy to drive in and as long as your moving it may seem fine but as soon as you stop.... you may think your fine but if you try and move again you'll sink in the sand. Victor