PDA

View Full Version : Rod or line?

drkgroth
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I attended a local fishing expo this weekend. While there I tried several rods. The Scott rep was great. I was very impressed with the Scott g2, 4wt, 9ft. It cast like rocket, with great feel and loaded well. It really outperformed my Sage ZXL with Rio Gold. The line on the Scott was the old Airflo Platinum. How do these rods really compare? Do you think it was just the differnce in the line? Before I go through the trouble of trying to acquire the Airflo or a demo G2, I would like anyone's opinion on this. Thanks. Doc

Darian
04-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Seems to me like you answered your own question. The Scott out performed the Sage. :nod: Why make it any more complicated.... :confused:

GreggH
04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I bet you would notice a string difference more then rods of the same wt. My 2

Scott V
04-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Doesn't matter how good the rod is, if you do not have the correct weight line to match it it won't be worth squat. The rod is good, but the correct weight line to match the rod is more important. Just my 2 cents.

Jet
04-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Just to add a little fuel to the fire. The Sage is a Medium Fast rod but it does not require the Rio Gold line which is 1/2 wt heavier than a standard line. The Scott G2 action is faster than the G series but I think it's in the medium action range and should cast a standard weight line. Overlining the Sage by half a line weight should not have made much of a difference but may have slowed it down some. The G2's are pretty sweet and the changes they made shoud attract more anglers that are not into the fast tip action rods.

Good Luck,

Jet