PDA

View Full Version : Pit and Lower Sac Report

stevenj24k
04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
headed up to the pit on Friday with good friend and guide bryan balog from the fly shop. beautiful day. we poked around a bunch of spots on pit 5 and 4. water levels were a little higher than we would have liked which limited some spots. first few spots were only good for 1-3 fish per spot. definitely not the usual pit magic where the trout pounce on the fly the second it hits the pocket. Then we did a little exploratory requiring a hike down this very steep hill loaded with slippery pine needles. then crossed one small side channel to get to another side channel. it just looked like one of those dream spots. A spot neither of us (if anyone) had ever fished before. I’d tell you where it was, but then I’d have to kill you. Although you’d probably kill yourself getting to it. Anyway, we worked our way to the "honey" looking spot and KABOOM – somewhere between 12 and 15 fish on maybe 20 casts. Was kind of insane. cast after cast, fish after fish, including my biggest pit fish ever – easily 19”, probably 20”. Ate the micro may dropper behind the rubber legs. all the fish were good and hot and all between 14 and 16, one around 17-18 and that one big boy. killer spot. We finally left, hiked out (easier than coming in) and moved on. next few spots were back to the way it was in the AM. 1-3 fish per spot. all in all an average/slow Pit day turned into an amazing day by one hour in one great spot. gotta love it. Good bugs included rubber legs, micro may, prince, PT.

saturday we floated the lower sac from anderson to balls - weather and fishing started out great – a dozen plus fish in the first 2 hours or so. same bugs as day before on pit. fishing slowed a little, we took a lunch break, then KABOOM, 30-40 mile an hour winds! not gusts, just blowing non stop. winds were supposed to hit around 5ish, but came early. it was insane. Bryan rowing his butt off while the boat was being pushed upstream. Felt lucky that I was able to stick a few more fish in the few moments of peace in between wind. By the luck of some deity, one of the other guides with a motor on the back of his drift boat (dennis) came down stream to us and kindly tossed us a rope. He towed us the last few miles through the long flats above balls. ocean-like swells - water flying overboard, white caps, crazy. First time I (and bryan) ever got towed off. Saved us hours of rowing against the wind. There was a group of 3 privates above us who thankfully (and questionably) turned down the tow. Oops. Word was another guide further downstream between the barge hole and jelly's had to get towed out as well. Fun stuff – quite an adventure.

lynnwhite44
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Did you make it into Pit #3 or is the road blocked off?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
If you can only go once this summer try to hit the Pit River, lower McCloud River and/or Upper Sacramento River in June for 3 or more days.

I would hire a good local fly fishing guide for the at least the first day and you should have very good results.

Fall is good too.

PM, email or call me if you need any help setting up a good trip for trout this summer.

billkiene@kiene.com

Darrin.Deel
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
I believe the road to pit 3 is accesable from clark creek road almost all times. last week the road to pit 4 was in really bad shape, 4WD definatley required. pit 5 was pretty accessable. the road to pit 4 should be fine now.