PDA

View Full Version : One handed spey casting

JohnS
04-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I was watching a FF show on TV the other night that had someone talking about and demonstrating single handed spey casting. He was talking about a special triangular line used for it.

Did anyone on this board see that show and can you tell me where I might get more information about it?

Thanks

Larry S
04-11-2010, 04:07 PM
You need to check out Jeff Putnam and his videos, etc. Find him at Kiene's.
Larry S

Fats
04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
The only triangular line I know if is the Wulff Triangle Taper line. It may have been that. (I didn't see the show in question) I know it is easy to do the spey casts with a single handed rod. I just realized that for the last 8 years or so I've been doing a modified double spey when I've been fishing my indicator rig for trout. Same line motions, just a shorter rod!

Charlie Gonzales
04-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Most any WF line will allow you to duplicate the cast. The rio nymph(indicator?) line has a nice front taper and is overlined out of the box so it works nice, and I have found my Rio Outbound Shorties do double duty.

Also, I find when spey fishing with a single hander, that I still use a single haul on my forward cast.

JohnS
04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
My bad.... I realized that it wasn't a tv program but a video from YouTube. There are several there. And it was the Wulff triangular taper spey line for single handed rods.

Fats
04-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Well, at least you figured out what line they were using. I like any of the good aggressive WF lines (steelhead taper, Rio Indicator etc) for those styles of casting but most of my trout fishing is now throwing indicators and nymphs.

It takes a really good hatch for me to topside these days.