PDA

View Full Version : Kayaking For Stripers

Eric M
04-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Has anyone ever used a kayak to fish the lower Yuba or Feather for stripers? I've had good luck in the delta over the last few years, just wondering if its doable.

CapitalFishr
04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I've never tried the Yuba or Feather... but I fly fish for stripers on the American with my sit-on-top ocean kayak all the time. The Feather should be fine... there might be a few sections of the Yuba that are a little rough... but I plan on trying very soon.

golfish
04-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I would like to try this too, I mostly just take my kayak out on the ocean for occasional rockfishing. I only fly fish for trout and spey for steelhead so I dont know what a good setup is for striper fishing in the delta/rivers.

Any suggestions on rod/reel/line systems? Maybe I can use one of my spey reels and just get a rod and line setup.

Eric M
04-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I like to use my 9wt for stripers. T-14 with a floating running line. I use a loop to loop connection ie. shooting head system, for versatility. It works for me(old school steelhead 1970s). Straight leader 12-15lb 4 to 6 foot, clouser or synthetic bait.

Mr. Striper
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Never tried it on the river. Cought plenty of them on mine in the ocean.

BFalk
04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Do you anchor or drift in the river? I wondered about trying it but wasn't sure if drifting and fishing was do-able.

CapitalFishr
04-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Never have tried anchoring... drifting works for me. You can usually find a slower section of the river to cast from. You do get moved around quite a bit on some sections... its not perfect... takes work sometimes to paddle upstream to refish hole, hard to take pictures, etc. Unitl I get a Lowe with a jet outbaord... its the best I can do right now lol. Plus its a good workout if you go alone and paddle upstream first and drift back down. On that note, I would be interested in finding someone with a truck so that we would have a takein and downstream takeout point.