PDA

View Full Version : South fork of the Stan mid May?

mike borba
04-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I will be travelling through the central valley in mid May. I'm thinking about fishing either the South Fork of the Stanislaus river or Beaver Creek (North fork trib) then. I've never fished them, but have read they are good early season streams. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks Mike Borba

fj40
04-10-2010, 06:18 AM
The South Fork can and usually does run high in the spring. Dont know how to check releases out of Pinecrest. It runs high enough that it is not fishable though. Beaver Creek is fun little stream. Lots of vegatation, tight fishing but eager little fish. I have not fished Beaver in many years so things may have changed. Have Fun!

Dan L
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Mike,

Lots of snow in here in the Sierras, Beaver Creek may be to high to do much with. Give the local sporting goods store, Ebbetts Pass Sports, a call for the latest conditions on the waters along HWY 4. 209 795 1686. Your best shot may be the Middle Fork of the Stan, below Beardsley, IF the reservoir is not spilling. Good luck.

Dan

troutbm
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I wouldnt count on it being fishable mid may. Runoff heavy this year. Theres options in the area. Unless your going to hump it in away from easy access I wouldn't expect much on the south stan.