PDA

View Full Version : Capm Far West

ted1
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Slept in and went to CFW with David Lee this morning. Kick trolled for bass for a few hours, split up and worked different sides of a cove. I ended up with a 2lber, then David caught this 4lb carp....the pic was taken 250 yds away, wish I could do it more justice. The carp were spawning everywhere, but the bass were few and far between. Ended the day with a 2.5/3lber. Water is still pretty chilly. Sunny, ~5mph wind. Small clousers and buggers did the trick.

Scott V
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
That carp is big enough in the picture to see it, nice job David. Nice bass Ted.

Hairstacker
04-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Pretty bass. And that carp must have been a hoot. David, tell us more please! :D

David Lee
04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Friggity COLD out there !!

Ted wanted to go get 'em , I suggested we try CFW , since this is the time of year for that stuff . I thought the water would be a little warmer by now .....

I talked it up pretty good . Felt a bit lame when we were NOT into fish , Ted is a good sport about things , however ..... and we hunted hard anyways . I saw quite a few Goldfish thrashin' around so I started to throw at them (4 hours between bites will make you throw at dead ones on the bank) using a #4 Brown Bugger on the point and a #6 Olive Bugger on the top dropper . Damned if I didn't hook one !! Got a good look when he went past and saw a fly inside his mouth , figured I'd better get out for the landing so I wouldn't wind-up punctured . Ted was waaaaay out there and I didn't know he got the shot - it was quite a suprise !! Goldfish # 2 on a fly !!

I dropped one Spotty on the jump , and blew two other hits . Give it a few more weeks -

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I heard there use to be Stripers in there too???

David Lee
04-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I heard there use to be Stripers in there too???

It used to be stocked w/ Stripes up to the early-90's . I landed quite a few before I got started w/ the fly gear .

I wouldn't be suprised if there were a few Stripers left , since they can reach ages of 20+ years . I doubt they would be a viable flyrod target , though ......

David

P.S. - I landed the a huge Crappie at CFW back in 1990 - right around 17 inches .

Hairstacker
04-10-2010, 11:56 AM
4 hours between bites will make you throw at dead ones on the bank

:lol: Funny David. On the other hand, it's fellas like yourself who don't give up trying to crack the code or are willing to switch things up who end up smelling like fish. :D Sounds like it was pretty darn tough though.

Wow, 17" crappie -- now that's a fish! =D> I don't think I've ever landed one over 14" so I can really appreciate how big that one was.