PDA

View Full Version : Soft hackles

Charlie Gonzales
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I have had a few request for my CDC soft hackles so heres a pupa pattern. The abdomen can be anything, I also like a soft hackle hares ears, birds nest, pt's. Besides these I fish the traditional stuff too...partridge/orange, partridge/yellow, etc. I had an unusual day last shad season where we found ourselves swinging soft hackle pmd's to rising males.

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr262/BigValleyGuide/sh_pupa003.jpg

Hairstacker
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Very nice Charlie, thanks for sharing! I like soft hackles a lot too -- I find them relaxing to tie and I love the way they look. :cool:

Darian
04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
A not so secret, secret. :smirk: I've found soft hackle flies are really very effective in high elevation lakes and streams. Nothing like an Orange Fish Hawk (small sized), partridge and peacock, etc. Sized accordingly, they can cross over into Coastal Cutthroat territory.... :D

Tiger
04-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Charlie, is that a tungsten? You fishin those with a floater or sink tip? Thanks...

Scott V
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I have always felt that one of the reasons that soft hackle is so good is because it causes more disturbance in the water and helps to get the fishes attention. Plus it can hold air bubbles which in turn cause an iridescent sparkle. Nice looking flies Charlie.

Jay Murakoshi
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Charlie,
Not to change the subject... have you spotted any shad. Maybe I can/will squeeze in one day on the American. Gotta get my taste of shad fishing this year. Being in baja during the season, I always miss the good runs

Jay

SteveP
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Good looking softy there, I really like tie touch dubbed soft hackles, I think the extra little buggyness helps a bit.

Steve