PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Report

Chris Evison
04-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Guided a father/son team yesterday afternoon. Temp was 44 degrees and falling with scattered snow showers. Went to rocks at Pelican Bay and much to my surprise there was nobody fishing. The weather had emptied the place, though the beach was packed. We hopped in at a little after 2pm. Had them using single fly under an indicator.

By 5:30 the indicators had gone down 20+ times and they landed 6 fish. Nicholas (11yrs old) landed his biggest fish yet- a nice 24-25" male.

Peter Bauer (he used to own the Angler's Edge in Gardnerville, Nv.) and friends moved in just to our right and the 4 of them were also into fish for 3hrs.

Kevin and Nicholas left at 5:45. I decided to go fish for a little bit before the 2hr drive home. Joined another guy (Mar from Sacramento who had read some of my previous posts on this message board) on the rocks and at 6:15 I landed I landed a fish that went over 11lbs on the boga. It ate a sz 10 snowcone midge with red body. Thanks to Mar for being a witness and I hope to fish with you again soon (I will take you up on the striper offer).

The water is almost 50 degrees. The fish seem to be more on the chew and the fishing is steadily improving. The usual flies worked under the indicator. Sz 10 midges in assorted color combos though red or black body snowcones and red mahalo nymphs seemed most consistent.

I have been fishing Pyramid since 1995, by no means do I consider myself an old-timer out there. Crowding has always been an issue and will continue to be one. When I first started fishing the lake it was not uncommon to have only 15-20ft of space between fishermen. Sometimes closer when fishing with friends. Back then we all used shooting heads and we were comortable fishing that close. Tight loops don't require much casting space.

With the increase in the popularity of indicator fishing came floating lines and casting with a more open loop. This means we can't be as close to other people without the threat of our flies impaling someone. So beware when of space when setting up!

Crowded beaches are usually beaches with active fish so more people show-up leading to crowding problems. If you want to avoid the crowds stay away from Pelican Beach and the rocks. South Beach and Wino also get crowded. If you join a crowd, expect more to follow. If you're catching fish with the crowd be happy your rod is bent! If you can't be happy then go find your own beach. Pyramid is a great place to explore and the fish are spread throughout the lake. Go check out the eastshore. I don't think I've ever seen more than a dozen vehicles on a given day on that side since camping was discontinued on eastshore a few years ago.

Now I could start in on some of the grumpy oldtimers that fish Pyramid, but I subscribe to the old saying "let sleeping dogs lay" and go about fishing.

mar
04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Nice report Chris. That was indeed a very nice fish! Awesome specimen. What a beautiful day it was too. Nothing like standing in frigid water in the middle of a snowfall. Funny how hooking and fighting some nice cutts can keep you warm :-)

Good job on guiding your clients. You definitely put them into fish. It looked like they had a blast.

It was very nice meeting you. Feel free to give me a buzz when you're in this neck of the woods and we'll chase some stripes.

Mar

ARichcrook
04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Hey Chris, check your PM's :D

Rich