PDA

View Full Version : New cell phones for outdoorsy people

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Was looking at new cell phone yesterday at AT&T and saw a couple of cool ones:

One was by Garmin for AT&T that was a standard cell phone with a full functioning GPS. I think it might come in handy.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Nuvifone(TM)+G60&q_sku=sku4000279&WT.srch=1

The other was a Sony/Ericsson for AT&T that had a full functioning 8 MP digital camera. Now that one excited me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19_rqa7xSzc

Others I have heard of are water resistant or maybe even water proof?

What have you seen?

SLOwag
04-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I think these need to be armored up with rubber, my phones always die a slow death due to repeated contact with the ground and definately need to be waterproof, my last one enjoyed a lovely swim in the Upper Sac on a warm September day...it's now dead.

Rockman
04-03-2010, 07:49 AM
I purchased a Casio cell phone last year at the Verizon store that is waterproof, dust proof and shock resistant. Its Orange & Black in color. The sales people said it was milatary grade, but I did not see anything written in the owners manual that said the same. I keep it in my vest whenever I am wading. I have taken two "swims" with it, and it worked just fine.
I figure if I fall in, I can call 911 and say" Help,I'v fallen and I can't swim out". I also used the camera last year to post some nice stripers I caught wading on the A.R.. Not a great cell phone camera, but it will do in a pinch when your forget your other camera. No keyboard, but thats OK since I don't do texting.
Rockman

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-03-2010, 08:14 AM
http://www.casiogzone.com/

They have two WP phones now...........this might be the answer for fly fishers?

Grampa Spey
04-03-2010, 08:26 AM
The Rock sounds like it would be good for our needs.

However, Verizon is probably the most expensive carrier out there.

JohnS
04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
If you're not worried about a WP cell phone, the new Motorola Droid from Verizon has some very nice features:
5 Megapixal camera
video capabilities
several apps designed for fishing: Fishing Buddy and CreelCard which mark where you catch your fish and weather info , remind you to take pics, etc
GPS capability with free Google maps

down side is to use GPS and some of the other features you must be in their 3G network area. You might be OK in the valley but not on the T in Lewiston

PS if you're a golfer, it has several nice programs w/ GPS. It marks your shot and tells how far you hit the ball then how far to middle of green

Mr. Striper
04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
My friend has the 8mp camera phone and it takes outstanding photos.

DFrink
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
The Rock sounds like it would be good for our needs.

However, Verizon is probably the most expensive carrier out there.

Verizon is expensive, but they also have great coverage for areas that are off the beaten path. They are the only carrier that works in some / many of the areas that I fish.

1flyfisher
04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I am going to grab an IPhone when they go to Verizon this summer. Then I'll put it in a dry bag when necessary. AT&T coverage is weak and doesn't cover the lakes and areas I fish. Verizon is the answer.

inclinejj
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
The dry bags for cell phones work pretty good..

dry cell makes a good one

Bill, you should look into carrying them..