PDA

View Full Version : Little water = little fish

Scott V
04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Been trying to get something out of this little pond I drive by everyday, I have seen little gills and thought I saw a small bass. I tried subsurface flies and got nothing. Then I started think, why are you going subsurface when you prefer to go top water. So I tied on a little popper and low and behold that was the magic ticket. My first fish out of a piece of water that appeared all of a sudden a few years ago. Amazing how water can contain fish when that water was not there until a few years ago. And this water is right on the side of the road.

Can someone identify these two fish, I am not good with gill identification.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP2510.jpg

Look at the blue lines on this fish, it was gorgeous.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP2511.jpg

Hairstacker
04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
What the heck, I'll venture a guess: the first one is a redear sunfish and the second one is a green sunfish or hybrid green sunfish?

Darian
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm with Mike on the bottom fish but the top looks like 'Gill not yet ready for spawning.... A Red Ear usually has a reddish orange outline around the black "ear".... Where's David Lee when we need 'im :?: :?:

Hairstacker
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I was guessing redear based on the shape of the head, the shape of the three visible fins, the two points on the anal fin, and the fact they sometimes don't present with a red or orange outline on the black "ear" . . . but you're right, where's David?!? :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-01-2010, 11:14 PM
We use to call that second one a "warm mouth"......they are really cool fish with a bigger mouth than a blue gill.

Cool photos Scott...........cell phone camera or digital camera?

Jay
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
First one is a Bluegill, second one is a Green Sunfish.

Scott V
04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Digital camera Bill, a Pentax Optio waterproof.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I sure do love those green sunfish. Very aggresive little guys.