PDA

View Full Version : Upper Rogue today

Langenbeck
04-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Neighbor and I hooked 6 and landed 2 fish today in a very tough spot to wade. Here is my 28" wild fish taken on a bead head nymph. Saw a pine martin along the shore.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/DSCN0002.jpg

DonCooksey
04-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Beautiful fish! Do pine martins eat fish? I watched a mink or weasel of some sort dive and come up munching on a crawfish once.

Steelie-Stalker
04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Awesome! Gives me hope because i'll be up there for my spring break, this sat, sun, mon, and tuesday!

Langenbeck
04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Don: Here is some info on pine martens:

American Marten: The American Marten has a long slender body covered in glossy brownish fur with a lighter coloured throat, a long bushy tail and a pointed snout. Like those of cats, its claws are semi-retractable, and aid it in climbing trees. It also has very large foot pads in relation to body weight allowing it to walk on hard snow. This provides the marten with a distinct advantage in areas that receive heavy snows.

The animal is omnivorous, preferring to catch and eat small mammals, especially the American Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus), but readily consuming fish, frogs, insects, carrion, and fruit and other vegetation when available

Blueracer
04-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reports Langenbeck!