PDA

View Full Version : Sage 99 Review

easymends
04-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Finally got my Sage 699 in the mail. Was looking for a rod that handled all the type of fishing I do here in Northern California and Oregon. The 99 are built on the same blank as the ZAxis and the design and finish is really beautiful.

The over sized rod guides really do help in stack mending and feeding line when nymphing. This rod will handle three fly rigs with the largest thingamambobber with ease. Its simply a great rod for these setups. Even swinging heavy tips are nice with the way the moderate action is, a versitip line and type 6 with a moal leech is easy to cast with simple spey casts and a quick haul.

I imagine the rod will be great for sitting in a tube as well. I can't wait for trout opener on the Deschutes and then for June tossing big foam during the Stonefly hatch. Limited back casting room and tossing big dries.

I paired the 6 with the SA Sharkskin Magnum taper and also been using a RIO Nymph taper in 6. Both are great lines with the rod.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-01-2010, 09:40 PM
That is a new series for Sage this year. all are 9'9" in 4 pieces.

I believe they come in line sizes 4 through 8.

They will a void between the 9'6" and the 10 foot rods.

I have always liked and use 9'6" rods for wading for Steelhead, lakes and nymphing.

Cal
04-02-2010, 04:23 AM
I really like these rods. Since they have a strong tip but flex deep into the butt of the blank they are very good for single hand spey casting in addition to being great indicator rods. I think people will find that they are great for swinging flies for half pounders or steelhead.

I cast this series extensively at the last couple of fly fishing shows and tested the 8 wt with a wide variety of lines that I like to use including a WF8F Sci Angler Steelhead Taper, a 300 grain Airflo Compact Scandi w Ridge running line, and a WF8F Rio Outbound Short that I like to use for bass. I can cast all of these lines quite comfortably on the 99, so I dumped my XP 8100, which in my hands was really best for shooting heads.

Can't wait to receive my new 899-4 blank, I am going to doll it up with oversized TiCr guides and a lazer etched steelhead image reel seat. I also gotta have the 699 for trout nymphing and half pounder swinging. I think the 699 will be a great rod for the Pit River, upper Sac etc., for fishing big stone fly dries with a heavy stone nymph dropper.

As far as the 9'9" length, I think that is somewhat of a gimmick. I have a pretty beat up rotator cuff on my casting arm and I can still cast a med-fast 10 ft-er all day. I would have been just as happy with a 10 ft rod as the 9'9" with this action, I think it is the casting action which makes this rod series so special.

golfish
04-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I received my 599 from Gary Anderson a few weeks ago. Took it to the Merced last weekend but I ended up throwing mostly dries with a different rod. I'm still experimenting with lines for it and I will probably overline it a bit for heavier setups. Love the action though for nymphing. Gary makes fantastic rods, cant recommend enough.

I had mine built with a "fighting butt" (telescopic butt which turns it into a little switch rod) and larger top grip. This is a sweet setup...here is the pic that Gary originally sent me.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nSoEX-7_srU/S7YTw3EQaHI/AAAAAAAAAHg/Tsx5Zg3vNCg/s576/IMG_0143.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nSoEX-7_srU/S7YQuHtlcKI/AAAAAAAAAGk/VU1H2e9O4_o/s576/IMG_0145.JPG

bigfly
04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Been testin' a Sage 599-4 with sweet little Reddington reel, lined with a RIO 6wt steel head taper.
Wow!
Throws a dry fly a mile (75+ ft anyway) accurately, waterloads all the head (w/bobber lrg fly, and shot, and shoots line to boot), roll casts, snap T's, snake mends, ect...
Stiff enough to swing a streamer. Perfect for deep wading/tubing. Where a switch rod is tough fishing close, this rod doesn't seem that long. Sort of reminds me of my XP, got some real snap to it.
So far, I haven't managed to find any short comings.
Most testing has been done on the Truckee river, and it feels perfectly suited to it at both lrg and small levels.
This rod will be included in my client rod quiver!

Jim