PDA

View Full Version : Crab evolution

Lee Haskin
03-31-2010, 09:22 AM
About 8 years ago I starting tinkering with crab fly designs.....

....... and learned something from a guide in the Yucatan, that stuck with me. It is proving to be true, and I have been attempting to apply his insight ever since.

This guide claimed that not all permit caught with a fly were caught because the fish ate the fly. His idea was that a permit tastes the fly with his lips before sucking the fly into the crushers, and the fish will ONLY suck the fly into the crushers if it is a "good fly". In other words, just because a permit is hooked or even caught, does not mean it actually ate the fly. He believed that if the permit was hooked by the lip, it may have been hooked accidently, before the fish could reject the fly. He claimed that only a permit hooked deep down in the crushers, would indicate a "good permit fly".

Soooo I started to keep track of how my permit were hooked and have been tying crab flies with different "feel" to see if there was a pattern. I found that crab flies with a hard, custy shell were clearly more acceptable, using the theory above. When I took standard raghead designs, and coated them, solid hookups increased.

Now my next puzzle piece:
My mentor and legendary permit fishermen, Del Brown, claimed the 60 deg. jig hook improved his hook up ration, so I started using an EC 413 hook, with good results.

My goal was to produce a crab pattern that incorporates the following:

1. Develop a hard crusty shell that did not impact the gape of the hook.
2. Use the new Tar 9413 jig hook, which is superior to the EC 413 in strength.
3. Weight the fly so that it always sank head first, and landed hook-point up (always). Test it in a pool.
4. Arrange the weight so it would swim hook-point up (always) and look natural. Test it in a pool.
5. Find a way to add claw legs that look, natural, like the shell, and hold their shape.
6. Find an easy way to add legs and eyes.
7. Use materials that has give me many different color options, and combinations.
8. Generally, make the fly as easy to tie as possible.
9. Make it durable.
10. Above all, fool and hook permit deep in the crushers!!!!

This final version will finally get rolled out this summer in the Yucatan and Belize. We'll see if it works! The permit are the final judge!

Sorry for the long post, but we fly tyers can get very obsessive. Grin!!

Cheers,
Lee

Darian
03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Great looking Crab pattern!! Your design requirements made me curious. The photo's of the shell don't look crusty or hard. What material did you use to make them :?: Second, when you refer to sinking head first, are you referring to the eye of the hook or where the eyes are stationed :?:

I've found some very small crabs in the sand on the beach at the hotel in La Paz that are tan colored. They're about 1/2" in width at that point. I've seen small Humboldt Squid searching for them in very skinny water. Thought it might be interesting to try crab pattern around reefy areas.... :nod:

ptychocheilus
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Lee, that's one beautiful crab tie! Can't wait to hear how they fish!

k.hanley
03-31-2010, 11:48 AM
I like your design process there bud. Nice job. As you know, it usually takes years to get a fly pattern zeroed in. Of course there are those acceptions to the long calendar (unfortunately none of my stuff has ever worked that way yet!). Good luck in the next field phase Lee.
Cheers, Ken

Bob Laskodi
03-31-2010, 12:06 PM
The Crusty Crab????? Isn't that where SpongeBob works????? ;>}

Lee Haskin
03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey Kenny, thanks for the feedback. I hope that it all comes together....finally!
I've been tinkering with this for a while, and it is the "tinkering" that makes it so much fun. If it catches some permit along the way, it would be a nice reward for my effort. I just wish Del were here to test it for me in the Keys!!

To answer a few questions:
Great looking Crab pattern!! Your design requirements made me curious. The photo's of the shell don't look crusty or hard. What material did you use to make them?

Creating a hard shell that looks soft, is a big part of the design. Of course, it would be easier to simply coat yarn with epoxy, but this is a completely different way to create the body AND them treat the shell. The process is somewhat involved, and would be best demonstrated, although I will probably have instructions/illustrations for this pattern soon, which should answer your question.

Second, when you refer to sinking head first, are you referring to the eye of the hook or where the eyes are stationed

Yes, I am referring to the fly sinking 'hook eye first', since the crab swims sideways.

I've found some very small crabs in the sand on the beach at the hotel in La Paz that are tan colored. They're about 1/2" in width at that point. I've seen small Humboldt Squid searching for them in very skinny water. Thought it might be interesting to try crab pattern around reefy areas....

Very interesting fishing situation! That would be a lot of fun, and I'm sure this pattern would work, especially if the hook needs to ride hook point up. This pattern can be tied almost any size and any color, given the material (not yet available)!!

Note: I will be tying flies at Bill Kiene's Expo, April 17th, and would be glad to demonstrate this pattern, if there is some interest. I realize this is a niche application, and wasn't sure how many board members would find it of interest.

Cheers,
Lee

Lee Haskin
03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes, Bob.....under the sea!!! Grin!
I hope to make Mr. Crab proud.

Bob Laskodi
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Not a Crabby Patty, but that crab fly sure looks yummy!!!!! I would certainly like to see instructions (and the secret material!) for this. Fortunately/unfortunately I'll be at Isla Holbox on April 17. So I will miss the demo :>{

Loren E
04-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Good looking fly Lee! Are you planning on selling them in the future? I am VERY interested in learning how to tie this pattern as I am hoping to do some permit fishing this summer and love chasing those sickle-tailed buggers. Thanks for this post, really great stuff.

-Loren

Lee Haskin
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Loren,

This pattern needs to be tested and proved effective before I would even consider selling it. However, if it is a winner, you can be assured the instructions/illustrations will be available, as well as finished flies.
Targus Fly & Feather is very excited about this pattern too, and if it is successful, they want to produce it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Lee

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Great posts Lee

You got me thinking about our great trips to Isla Blanca with those nice schools of small/medium Permit that would eat these new crabs like popcorn.

With summer coming up these crabs would be perfect for that destination for Permit and Bonefish.

Marco and Keith say there are more bonefish in there now than there were a few years ago.

I guess one of those hurricanes changed things enough to get more Bones in there now?

http://www.anglingonthefly.com/IslaBlanca.html

Lee Haskin
04-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Bill,

Yes, I am grateful that you invited me along for that trip. What a great time we had there in Cancun.

The last time I fished Isla Blanca there were a few good schools of bonefish around, and I will be there again, the first of August. Finding and catching a bonefish was always the hardest part of the Super Slam, in Isla Blanca.
Keith has me set up for a great trip!

This year I'm hoping to find some bigger permit, fishing slightly deeper water. This crab pattern might be the ticket. I sure like how it looks in the water! We'll see.

I'm hoping to try the new Tar 9413 jig hook on tarpon, as well.

Looking forward to seeing you, Marilyn, and your staff, on the 17th!

Best,
Lee