PDA

View Full Version : First fish destination suggestions?

A Matthews
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
I want to take a buddy of mine fishing on Friday who has never been fishing before. I'd like to take him somewhere reasonably close to Sacramento where he's likely to catch his first fish. Although I'm not set on the idea, I was thinking that lake fishing may be best since learning to cast is easier when there's no stream current to contend with. (But after a couple of days worth of rain, cloudy lake water may not be the best option). Anyway, I was thinking Lake Solano but have never fished it myself, don't know if there's boat rentals this time of year, and I'm not sure what flies to use besides wooly buggers. Your suggestions/advice is much appreciated!

andanb
03-30-2010, 03:26 PM
This used to be a great place to catch spring stockers...but since they did not stock last year the pickins are pretty slim. At this time of year the olive bugger on a sink tip line swung and slowly stripped can work.

For more of a sure thing I might wander elsewhere this year.

huntindog
03-30-2010, 03:41 PM
if he has never fished before i would recomend not introducing him to fly fishing just yet...go throw some tube baits on jig heads with a spinning rod at any pond or lake right now and you have a pretty good chance of catching some bass. Go drift some minnows and the odds go up further.

Darian
03-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Lake Solano is a good choice and huntindog is right. Do some bait or lures with spinning outfits. Another choice might be Rancho Seco. Windy but clear even after rains....

A Matthews
04-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out my buddy cancelled on me tomorrow. It happens. Anyway, I'll take him to Rancho Seco and Lake Solano later on. But I'll be out for half pounders tomorrow!