PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish this Thur in the rain?

speyfool
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
My fishing days have been extremely limited for the last couple of months. However, I hope to get out this Thursday for a little fishing in the rain.

What do you guys think my best bet is right now? Not necessarily looking for big fish. I just want to catch a few, whatever size they may be. I'm narrowing it down to the American, Feather, and Yuba.

Any rainy day suggestions?

Thanks!

DFrink
03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
The Yuba has been ridiculously crowded this winter, and the fishing hasn't been great... although that could just be me:lol:

speyfool
03-29-2010, 02:18 PM
The Yuba has been ridiculously crowded this winter, and the fishing hasn't been great... although that could just be me:lol:

Thanks for the warning. I haven't been to the Yuba in a while. However, the last time it was empty in the morning, but like you experienced, people started filing in after 10am. Got pretty crowded above hwy20. I moved below the bridge to get away from them. :o

Thanks!

Charlie Gonzales
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
The American is fishing pretty good right now for spring run half pounders. A small switch rod, floating line, and a handful of nymphs is about all you need. Wading is very easy right now too with the low flows. Although I wouldnt count on any great hatches in the rain, I saw some really nice fish taking caddis last night.

amoeba
03-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the warning. I haven't been to the Yuba in a while. However, the last time it was empty in the morning, but like you experienced, people started filing in after 10am. Got pretty crowded above hwy20. I moved below the bridge to get away from them. :o

Thanks!

I was there on Saturday and got a whole bunch of fish upstream of 20 (up to 21"++), and very few people. Crowds were gone before ~4 pm, when the bite started. Didn't see a single driftboat either.

I'd say don't even show up there till 2 pm, get at least a mile upstream, and all those people who either can't bushwhack more than 1/4 mile, or those who think it's a noontime hatch will be bored and leave.

Then you'll have the river to yourself - - - well, not all to yourself - - - I may be there.