PDA

View Full Version : Yuba reports?

Randy B
03-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Anyone have a recent Yuba report?

medfly
03-27-2010, 06:34 PM
posted somewhere else i think, but was out about 4 days ago, went below the bridge to the side channel. fished a few hrs in the afternoon, crazy march brown hatch, no caddis, no skwalas, no risers. caught a few on a PT nymph. yuba has been bumming me out this season, not because of the lack of fish, but because despite the insects this year (tons) i have not seen any of the epic days in the past where the fish wont look anywhere but up. must just not bein the right place at the right time. good luck

Mike Churchill
03-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Hit the Yuba Friday afternoon for a couple of relaxing hours from the bank (I was in the area for meetings that ended in time to run over to the river). First visit in over a year.

Fished well below the bridge. Bright sunny day with some bugs coming off--first small tan or cream mayflies (PMD's or March Brown's?), then small tan caddis. Neither hatch was prolific and only the occasional rise. No strikes on dries; one bump swinging a wet fly.

Did see two small groups of fish chasing each other around. My guess is males competing over females, but I have not seen that kind of activity before. (Every five or ten minutes or so, a series of wakes would travel around the shallow run I was fishing. From the top of the bank, I could see the fish in the two small groups and watch one group at a time turn and angle off.)

Mike

Xnjb707X
03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
What you were seeing were spawners. This is the time of year when the rainbows start spawning up on the Yuba. Keep an eye out for redds and wade cautiously.

- Nic

Charlie Gonzales
03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Good advice Nic.

amoeba
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
I was there 3/28 late aft u/s SR 20 and hooked 8 in 2 hr (landed 5, up to 21"+) on #18 dries and nymphs. Lots of action for me this time.

DonCooksey
03-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Fished the Yuba this afternoon above the bridge and caught one (19") on a Fox Poopah. Have a photo but can't download it in while traveling right now. Fought a couple of other pretty nice ones that shook me off. A little windy at first but nice weather with only a few light showers and only two other fishermen.