PDA

View Full Version : So whatcha' been tying lately??

SteveP
03-24-2010, 06:43 PM
So I ask this on one of the other forums I am on from time to time and get varried answers, all I'm looking for here is what have you been up to at the vise, pics are a plus so here are mine...

I've been on a tying spree as of late just getting started tying for two shops in the area so I have a lot of catching up to do.... not much coming off that gets to go in any of my boxes mostly going into sale bins :( but it's all good and gives me a way to support my habit.

Some bait fish patterns I have been cranking out (all tied with icewing)

Tonight though I am working on a rush order from a guy that called and wanted a dozen and a half 20 and 22 cream midges........ not my favorite since I do not particularly like to tie dries and like even less to tie them under size 18... but the guy was willing to pay so I have the 22 done and the 6 0f the 20's done just thought I would take a quick break for a bit to breath and relax. I'll post pics of the swarm when I get them all wrapped up later tonight.

So now it's your turn let's see it and they don't have to be perfect if it's a new pattern you are trying to learn or you're just getting started maybe we can throw some pointers your way.

Steve

Darian
03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Been tying Mat Rats.... Now, I'm getting ready for La Ventana and the One Fly Surf contest. Soooo, it's on to Sea Habits and some surf patterns (yet to be determined). :D

Like those patterns you tied :nod: but, like you, I don't tie many below size 16. :-s

Jay Murakoshi
03-24-2010, 08:45 PM
I just finished up a bunch of striper/bass flies for a guy and now starting to tie up 25 dozen sea habits (white knights, sardina's, flying fish, green anchovies) for baja. Then if time permits, 10 dozen clousers. Oh yeah, in between those flies, I'll be tying up some for the Kiene Fly Fair (dahlberg's, cb divers, clousers, sea habits and maybe a few hula girls)

I plan on sleeping tonight. I have been up since yesterday morning - tied all night, listened to my iTunes and presto! the sun came up.
The eyes are getting heavy

Gooooood Night

Jay

SteveP
03-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I know the feeling Jay, if it were not for my wife I would tie around the clock for days on end... no sleep, no eat, no pee, just tying. Just finished those midges so off to bed after a bowl of ice cream!!!

Steve

FISHEYE
03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I am going with Jay in May. I have tied about 25 seahabits (25 not dozen) in grey, tan, chart, pink, and olive over white. I still need some browns, and greens. These also make excellent tarpon flies. I have a few with long tails (saddle hackle). I am also tying the Popovics version of Charlies Airhead (my name for it- he calls it the FlexFly). I have about 75 of my kiss-death tarpon flies for Belize in the fall in numerous colors, and I have about 30 black or white articulated leaches for Alaska trout. I need about 50 more of those. I probably have enough flies for the rest of my life, but tying is my relaxation and my art.

SteveP
03-24-2010, 09:23 PM
It sure can be an easy way to lose yourself, I love to tie almost more than I love to fish. As much as I hate to tie dries under 18 I have to say I rather enjoyed these... it was just something different for me.

Yall' wouldn't happen to have a picture of the seahabit would you? I would appreciate it if you could post a pic and a recipe or even just a link to a pic and a recipe. I have requests for salt patterns from time to time so I am always trying to learn more about them, and I like to use a lot of them for bass as well

Steve

FISHEYE
03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
check out Jay's website.

Darian
03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Just in case, Jay's website is:

www.fliesunlimited.com

check out the fly tying button for the White Knight (Sea Habit). recipe and step by step instructions.... :cool:

oldtrout
03-24-2010, 11:58 PM
First try playing with foam; not happy with the fly, but getting close.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/oldtrout/P3130413.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v12/oldtrout/?action=view&current=P3130413.jpg)

Legs are too long on this. I tied some on swimming nymph hooks that look much better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/oldtrout/P2070399-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v12/oldtrout/?action=view&current=P2070399-1.jpg)

Jay Murakoshi
03-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Steve,

The tying instructions for the white knight has changed a little. Instead of epoxy for the head, I'm using the Clear Cure Goo (thick) for the head. I still finish the head with Loon Hard Head.

I will have a video on the market later this year for the sea habit, CB Diver, Dahlberg's, Floating Minnows, Hula Girl and the new fly that I will be using for my top water bass fishing a floating minnow with a blade in front. This fly creates a big "V" wake when strippded two handed

jay

SteveP
03-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Oldtrout, the flies look good to me, the legs look a touch long on the nymph but it would surely fish and that little foam guy looks really nice.

Jay, I like the flies on your site and will try and play with the seahabit tonight. I can see them being really great whitebass flies... I'll find out soon enough.

Steve

Hairstacker
03-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Great thread with some very nice flies posted! Thought I'd add one of my own to the mix -- here's the 2nd diver I've tied so far for the upcoming season. Decided to play around with different colors. The trimming could use a little touch-up but it should fish fine as is: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1202.jpg

Darian
03-27-2010, 12:04 PM
mike,.... Regardless of the trim, I'm constantly amazed at your skills at spinning/stacking deer hair. Another GREAT bug!!!!

k.hanley
03-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Say hey Mike,
What trimming? I love the look of that bug! Go fish it -- N-O-W!!!!
Cheers, Ken

Hairstacker
03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Darian and Ken, I really appreciate the very nice comments, thank you!

jbird
03-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Mike, I really like the red nose on this one. It should be a killer...a real "instinct tickler" :-)

Its amazing how uniform the different colors are.

Would you ever consider a step by step picture tutorial for us? I apoligize if you already have and I missed it.

Thanks

john
03-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I spent early March trying to learn to tye little snot nymphs and midges for the Bighorn. Done with that, back, and happy about it. Now it's YELLOW clousers for Baja(Jay's shakin' his head). Oldtrout, I'm likin' that fly for Hex Camp. Maybe a couple less segments, and narrower wings?

Hairstacker
03-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Mike, I really like the red nose on this one. It should be a killer...a real "instinct tickler" :-)

Its amazing how uniform the different colors are.

Would you ever consider a step by step picture tutorial for us? I apoligize if you already have and I missed it.

Thanks

Jay, I've never done a picture tutorial before and wouldn't mind doing this one, but getting uniform colors remains easily the most challenging part of the whole process for me as well. I've always tied my flies for fishing and to this day have never thought it necessary to add color wedges and spots. Thus, I haven't spent a lot of time doing 'em in the past, and I only did the last two flies that way for my own entertainment and because I got the impression that's what folks like to see (that and eyeballs :lol:). I've never actually sat down in front of anyone else to see how they do it and thus I would like to continue playing with it some more before I suggest to others how it should be done. I'm being honest here and am not trying to elicit an, "Are you kidding me?!?" type of response from anyone.

Motofish
03-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Ok this is what I've been tying, getting ready for an up coming trip. Vic

Darian
03-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey, Hey!!!! Good looking Blue Crab pattern. With slight modification, think I might be able to make one that matches our crabs out here. :nod:

SteveP
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
That is a sweet looking crab and the spoon is pretty awesome too.

All that deer hair makes me want to get back at that stuff, I used to tie tons of hair but got a bit burnt out, those are some great divers.

Steve

Ed Wahl
03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
With slight modification, think I might be able to make one that matches our crabs out here. :nod:

What?....

Nobody?

:lol:

Ed

SHigSpeed
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
What?....

Nobody?

:lol:

Ed

Still looking for a source for #36 hooks. Maybe on Stockton Blvd somewhere? :)

_SHig

Hairstacker
03-30-2010, 10:16 PM
You tie yours on a #36? I was thinking more like a #52. . . .

Cool-looking fly -- I like the creative use of the pheasant feathers.

SteveP
03-31-2010, 05:53 AM
52 for sure if I'm tying those crabs!!

Steve

SHigSpeed
03-31-2010, 06:26 AM
52 for sure if I'm tying those crabs!!

Steve

I prefer more of an "attractor" pattern so I tie 'em bigger. :P

_SHig

Motofish
03-31-2010, 09:45 AM
You guy's crack me up..!!! I guess you could use a bigger hook and tie a cluster of crabs?
Victor

Darian
03-31-2010, 09:51 AM
I'd respond appropriately to all of this humor but I gotta really bad itch I gotta go scratch..... :p :p

SteveP
03-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I'll see if I can post a pic later of my experimental "crab" cluster fly!!! LOL

Steve