PDA

View Full Version : Mat Rats

KD
03-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks to those that attended the KDM Rat tying session @ Kiene's.
Also thanks to Andy for taking some pics. Here is the link to the blog with more pics and story. http://captainkd.blogspot.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
KD left us a half-dozen DVDs on tying the KDM Rat at our fly shop if anyone else needs one.

$10.00 each

SteveP
03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Got my video today... trying to find a suitable hook but would prefer to NOT use stainless as I will only be fishing in fresh water, just not willing to take that risk with my fish. Wonderful looking video and dang I love that fly....... gonna try and do some stuff with it in a little bigger size for a lake we have here with muskies in it and I know where a few live in some big nasty stuff!!! Can't wait for it to warm up. Thanks again so much.

Steve

Jay Murakoshi
03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Steve,

I tie my Rat's on a Dai Ichi 2461. It's a big streamer hooks with a wide gape. Super sharp and made for freshwater. The size goes up to 6/0

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
03-26-2010, 11:42 PM
I thought I had a picture on my site but I guess I don't.

Jay

SteveP
03-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Sweet Jay I'll keep a look out for that one

jerry from sac
03-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Was at Kiene's and watched Kevin tie the rat, and first let me thank Kevin for doing such a good job. Took lots of time and very patient.
Driving down El Camino glanced over and saw Michael's Craft store and decided to stop in and see if I could find the airbrush fabric paint Kevin uses. I did not find it and was not sure what the name was. Came home and got out the video I bought at Pleasenton from Jay to see the materials list, name was 'Createx' thined acrylic (pearl). Has anyone found this product? I can't remember Kevin saying he thined it and what was used to thin it.
Any help out there?
-
- thanks
- jerry

Ed Wahl
03-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Jerry, I found it at University Art Supplies, about 50 yards away from Kiene's front door.

That was after burning gas looking at other "craft" stores.

Ed

Darian
03-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for reminding me about this stuff. Not sure whether KD said the Createx he used was thinned or not. :confused: Do recall that he used only 2 drops of the stuff. :cool: I forgot to add it to the epoxy I used on the double hook model I tied up.... :o

One of the points made during KD's presentation was that the Createx softened the texture of the epoxy when dried. :-| Apparently doesn't do much for the fish but tends to protect the epoxy from cracking when cast into rocks, etc. :nod:

Jay Murakoshi
03-27-2010, 01:52 PM
The material is not thinned out. He applied two drops to the epoxy. I'm using the Clear Cure Goo flexible the thick material you can bounce it off a wall or rocks and it won't crack, chip or peel. I've mixed in some of the powder that they use to paint bass lures. Caution:
you don't want to breath that fine particals and I mean fine. I wouldn't even get it on your fingers The good thing is that you can mix and mix and the CCG won't set up like epoxy until you hit it with the light

Jay

john
03-27-2010, 04:55 PM
SteveP: Just curious. What about stainless hooks risks freshwater fish. I tend to buy tying hooks that I can use both ways. John

SteveP
03-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Stainless will never rust out of a fishes mouth, the fish will be stuck with the hook in it's mouth until it's mouth rots out and then the hook will fall out. Where as a bronzed hook will simply rust and fall out in a week or two depending on the size of the wire used to form the hook. Now some may dispute this and that is fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am not upset about that this is a free country but I have seen both effects first hand and just don't want to do that. Where I live in MO we have a fair amount of Missouri River oxbow lakes that I fish on a regular basis. These lakes are open to trot lining (again I have no problem with this as long as you stay within the law) I have come across trot lines that I know have been there for more than a month and not been checked with stainless hooks and catfish on them that have completely wasted away to nothing more than skin and bone. I have also come across the same situation with bronzed hooks and found fish on them that simply broke the bend of the rusty hook when I tried to lift them up to unhook them. I have also caught fish with stainless hooks in them that have obviously been in there for a very long time and have caught one so far out of a farm pond that three days earlier my wife broke off and when I tried to remove the hook it broke where it had began to rust. With a fly this big I could see it making it very difficult for a fish to eat until the fly is removed or it falls out and with standard wire it will rust out in a relatively short amount of time. Thus leaving my resources in relative good health and mostly unharmed. I feel about warm water fishing conservation practices the same as most folks do about tiny delicate trout streams. I grew up fishing these waters with very few if any quality fish due to lack of proper conservation practices and now I am enjoying a good quality fishery thanks to the fact that people have changed their way of thinking and doing. I want my children to be able to do the same things and enjoy it as much as I.

I'll climb down off my soap box now and please don't take this as an attack on your way of doing things but more as a bit of information about the reasons why to do something different to look over and consider the next time you are headed out to your local bass hole.

Steve

SteveP
03-28-2010, 07:09 AM
John, I just saw in your info in the upper right that you live in Menomonie!!!!!! My brother and sister in-law live in Menomonie!!! I may have to send you a PM when I come up for her graduation this spring so we can go wet a line.... it never ceases to amaze me how small of a world it really is.

Steve

Darian
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Steve,.... No need to justify your choice. I try not to use stainless steel hooks in salt water.... Never in freshwater. Tinned hooks or others are better for fish, etc.; all for the same reasons you've mentioned. The problem is that many of the best saltwater hooks are manufactured using stainless.... :nod:

SteveP
03-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Oh so very true, and I'm not trying so much to justify my choice I just don't want to come off sounding high and mighty... just not my style.

Steve