PDA

View Full Version : Redington CPX rods.... any reviews out there?

slimfishin's
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Just curious if anyone has been fishing the 9' 5wt Redington CPX rods? They seem to be coming out with some decent stuff lately and just wondered if anyone out there had some experience with them?
Thanks

FISHEYE
03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I have an older CPS in a 10 wt and that is a great rod. I have fish a buddies 10wt CPX and it was also an excellent rod for tarpon. I have not fished a 5wt, but for the money, I don't think you will be dissatisfied.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-24-2010, 10:23 AM
I tried a 6 wt out at the shop.... It was niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice and was good for distance casting. It's a fast one, which is what I need for my casting style. The Targus and Scott rods were too soft for me...

I highly recommend trying out different rods at the shop of the same weight to truly get a feel for the differences... Jason was very patient and great to do this with!

I never would have realized the difference otherwise.[-(

andanb
03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Redington realized how good a rod this is and bumped the price and changed the s to an x. This is a great rod I frequently use it for stripers, pyramid and steelies (if I'm in a boat). It is a fast rod for throwing weighted lines with a strong backbone for fighting big fish (much bigger than the 6 wt. would suggest). I often use it instead of my 8's just because it casts so sweet and is so much easier to throw. One of my favorite rods!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-24-2010, 10:59 AM
There are so many good mid-priced rods now that are running anywhere from around $150 to just over $300.

Redington, Sage, Echo, Scott , Ross, Winston, GLoomis all have rods in this price range.

You can come in and cast them all outside the shop.

gilligan
03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I have a few of 'em. I fish them in a 9'6" 5wt, the extra 6" seems to soften them up a little bit as they are pretty fast. Great rods, poor mans Z-Axis.

www.gilligansguideservice.com

fishinjohnny
03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
I purchased and used the cps 7wt for a year and loved it. I now own the cpx 5wt and just received the cpx 6wt in the mail. I feel I have found the best rods on the market for the price.

slimfishin's
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
I purchased and used the cps 7wt for a year and loved it. I now own the cpx 5wt and just received the cpx 6wt in the mail. I feel I have found the best rods on the market for the price.

I've got the 8'6" 5wt RS4, which is turning into my new favorite rod. But, the time has come to replace my 9' 5wt with something more contemporary. I like the Streamdance GLX and the ZAxis, but those things aren't free! I just wish the reel seat on the CPX was a little nicer... even the one from the RS4 looks better.

Good to hear that these rods seem to be performing beyond their price tag. Maybe the purchase of Redington by Sage has done some good for their rod designs. They certainly seem to offer a competitive product.

FISHEYE
03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
One more thing on the CPS and the CPX. It is my understanding that the blank taper and materials are exactly the same as some of the higher priced Sage rods. Only difference is the color and the the hardware.

DFrink
03-25-2010, 06:59 AM
I have an RS2 7'6" 4 wt that I use for stream fishing, great rod. My first rod was a Crosswater, for a beginning rod it was great for the price. I really like Reddington rods, and thier prices.8)

Hairstacker
03-25-2010, 08:14 AM
I see there are Redington fans out there. I can't comment on the CPX but my Redington RS3 9' 7 wt. has been my go-to topwater Delta bass rod for several seasons now. I love that rod. When you compare price points across rod brands, I think Redington makes an extremely competitive product -- very nice blanks, decent components, and excellent fit and finish.