PDA

View Full Version : Feinstein's latest

SFMike
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Did anyone else get the very obvious chain letter from Feinstein today? It's full of the misconstrued facts and statistics that she's been using to try to divert as much delta water as her buddy Resnick wants. And down at the bottom she mentions that the water allocations for the San Juaquin Valley farmers are actually being increased!! Here's the email:

"Thank you for writing to express your support for the biological opinions that govern water flows in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. I appreciate hearing your thoughts about this issue, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I understand your concern that pumping additional water to South of Delta agricultural water users will negatively impact the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta ecosystem, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts about the Endangered Species Act protections currently governing water flows. I share your commitment to finding a long-term solution to improve the reliability and quality of California's water supply that will protect threatened and endangered species that rely on the Delta. In the meantime, however, I cannot sit idly by while the State's agricultural economy is on the verge of collapse.

Three consecutive years of severe drought in California has resulted in more than 400,000 acres of farmland being fallowed and has left thousands of farmworkers unemployed. Many Central Valley agricultural communities face unemployment rates as high as 40 percent. While winter storms have boosted storage capacity at key reservoirs and replenished the Sierra Nevada snowpack to between 90 and 129 percent of average, hundreds of family-owned farms in the Central Valley still may not receive sufficient water allocations to plant, hire and harvest this growing season.

On March 16, 2010, the Department of the Interior announced an updated allocation for Central Valley Project water supplies. Based on a conservative precipitation forecast (with a 90 percent chance that there will be more water available than currently forecasted), farmers on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley will receive 25 percent of their contract water supply, and farmers in the Sacramento Valley will receive 50 percent. Both of these allocations are up from 5 percent. The Department also reaffirmed that they are working to secure the equivalent of an additional allocation of 8 to 10 percent for South-of-Delta agricultural users through administrative measures. Given the important progress made on this issue administratively, I believe that legislation on this subject is not necessary at this time.

Please know that I share your commitment to protecting the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. I will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue working toward a long-term, sustainable solution that balances the needs of environmental, agricultural, and urban uses and ensures that California can meet its current and future water needs.

Again, thank you for your letter. If you have other questions or comments, please contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator"

Larry S
03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Yep! Lots of double-speak. It would make sense to use "stimulus" money to build
desalinization plants down here in SOCAL. We have one on "hold" here in San Diego
County (Carlsbad.) Has even gotten approval by the Coastal Commission; yet is held
up by groups like "Surfrider." Ag businesses should be made to finance a number of these plants. The technology is here. The water is just off shore.
Larry S

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Yep... I got it too... BS!

sgr
03-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Dear Diane,

Please read the following story:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-water-jobs22-2010feb22,0,1862599.story?page=1

""People make a lot of claims, but the data you see is showing growth," said Paul Wessen, an economist with the California Employment Development Department. "We're just not seeing the job loss."

In Fresno County, the state's top-producing agricultural county, the number of farm jobs rose slightly last year.

Department figures show farm employment has increased statewide since 2006 -- a year of bountiful water supplies in the valley -- and dipped only slightly between 2008 and 2009.

Growers of major crops such as rice and processing tomatoes enjoyed a bumper year in 2009. Grape production was down slightly, but still among the highest on record.

And though photographs of farmers bulldozing their almond groves for lack of water were a media favorite, California had more acres of bearing almond trees last year than ever before."

Just sayin', ya know?

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
did some research and found...

"This is what I found (http://www.farmlandinfo.org/california/):

Total farm land in California - 25,364,695 acres
Farms - 81,033
Market value of California Agriculture - $33.9 billion (approx)

From Senator Feinstein's letter:
400,000 acres affected - this represents 1.6% of California's farmland
Other reports (http://www.hcn.org/issues/42.1/breakdown) show 156,000 acres fallowed in Westlands - about 0.7% (7/10 of 1%) of Calif. farm lands.
Hundreds of "family-owned" farms affected. Even if it were 500 farms (numbers vary due to secrecy by Westlands) that is only 0.6% (6/10 of 1%) of total farms in California.

It is reported that Weslands produces about $1 billion in products in an average year, or approx. 3% of all of California. However, if they fallowed an average of 230,000 acres (an average of the two statistics of 400,000 and 156,000 acres), that represents about 1/3 of their total 605,000 acres. This means their production in 2009 was approx $670 Million, and a loss of $330,000 million, which is 1% of total California production.

Given that we are looking 1.6% of state farmland out of production, 0.6% of total farms affected, resulting in 1% of total farm output of California, I don't see the losses to protect fish as dramatic as Senator Feinstein presents. This does not factor in what part the drought played in these statistics, which we can take from the BOR paper, Reality Check on Calif Water Crisis, http://www.doi.gov/documents/CA_Water_Reality_Check.pdf. It says only 25% of the reduced water deliveries is caused by fishery protections. Hence, we could make a good case that of the numbers above, small as they are, 75% is drought related, 25% due to protections for fish. Seems a small price to pay to keep important fisheries from going extinct."

:confused:

I am so disappointed/disgusted with this woman! She makes me sick! :puke:

Phil Synhorst
03-25-2010, 09:53 PM
SFMike, that sounds like the same general response I have gotten from our beloved Senator after writing her about various issues the last few years.

It's basically, "Thank you little piss ant voter for writing me on this issue. I understand your concerns, however I will do what is best for my political and financial future".:puke:

Mike O
04-01-2010, 08:52 AM
yes, and did you try to respond to the email? Got bounced back.

SFMike
04-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah, it's really frustrating when you feel like your elected official doesn't represent any of your views. I feel like Feinstein used to be a good politician, but as she's gotten older, more powerful and richer and richer, she's lost touch with the public. Now she's just helping out her other rich friends. I mean how much money do you need?

On another note, the Save the Salmon rally today at Fort Mason in San Francisco had so many people attending that you couldn't get inside. They had a speaker system set up outside so you could hear what was being said. I was on the outside, but I heard a few politicians and lots of other folks talking about saving the future of the salmon. Good to see a lot of people there concerned and angry about our dwindling salmon runs.

mike