PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid

mark
03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Anyone been up to Pyramid recently? Thinking about a quick trip up there this weekend. Seeing if anyone has any recent reports. Trying to avoid crowds so will probably avoid Pelican like the plague.

What should I start tying for the weekend?

Feel free to PM me.

jayclarkflyfishing
03-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Tie up some snow cone and zebra midges.Maholo's as well.For stripping black buggers,black and purple buggers and white /chartruese foam beetles,black/chartruese beetles and black/purple beetles.

Fishing is better on the windy days and has been mostly slow on the flat calm days.I haven't fished Pelican lately but I've been informed that a lack of etiquette has shown its ugly head and crowding issues are present.For people interested in fishing Pelican please try not to crowd into a space that has no room.

Enjoy!
Jay

mark
03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks Jay,

Some good ones to start on there, last night I did tie some short tailed buggers in white with chartreuse hackle.

I will definitely be avoiding pelican now. Had some better luck at beaches last year where we were the only ones around for near 7-800 yards. I love it when you have a beach to yourself and the fish are plentiful. Nothing quite like it.

Willisbrow
03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
what kinda of lines are you guys using for stripping buggers and bettles? ive only been there once and i only had my stripper set up which was an 8wt with 28ft of t14. I caught a fish on a leach but i think i was dragging in the sand with that tip. I think i remember hearing people using type 4-6 sink rate lines. I have a deer creek 12 1/2 5-6 spey rod that i would like to use for casting my leeches and bettles (over hand casting) but im unsure of what kind of line i should be using.
Any help would be appreciated
THanks
Will

ifsteve
03-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Will

Great if your line is dragging on the bottom. Use a beetle/tadpole and perhaps with a leech/wooly worm and you are just where you want to be. Jay will have better insight here than I do by a mile but when I was there last year when I could feel resistance in the sand was when I felt most in the zone.

Leaving tonight and its how I plan to fish this year too...except when I am using a bobber.:D

mark
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
dragging the bottom is usually a good thing. This is why I like to use the foam beetles. The line is at or near the bottom but the foam beetle will float the leader and flies up a few feet into the strike zone.

I use a pretty thick foam strip for my beetles to get them to float up there in the water column.

I use a T-8 head for reference. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get down but I think it has more feel.

Willisbrow
03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
thanks for the info. I will be using my 8wt for midges under a bobber. and my spey rod for casting the leeches and beetles on a sink tip.
Thanks again!

jayclarkflyfishing
03-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Will-
Throw your striper rig it will suit the lake well. I use 25' of t-11 on my 9'6" 8# and it is all I need for throwing buggers and beetles. I use a 10' 6# for midging.Good luck!

Jay

ifsteve
03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Got home last night from three days at the P. Wish I could say I came home with some whopper stories but what I came home with was an bruised ego. Still fun and cool to meet some faces to go with the names.

Jay keep us posted on the chairs, nice to meet you.

Oh I did catch one decent fish of about 7#.

Worst part of the whole deal is now I have to wait another year before I get back.:(

Digger38
04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Just a quick note. I went to Pyramid for 1/2 day on this past Thursday. I headed to the far side of the lake to Pelican and I could not believe how many people were out there on a Thurs. morning. I decided not to fish that area and drive to the other side of the lake and give it a try. I know the reports from the Pelican area have been getting better and better but I just did not want to jump in line.

I did not even bring my sink line I decided I was going to go with nymphing under an indicator the whole time. It was a nice morning but for the first 3 hours I had 0 bites then the wind kicked up just a bit and I had 2 bites but could not keep them on the hook. Then I saw my indicator slowly pull down below the surface. I set the hook and what do you know I felt something pull back. It did not fight that much but it sure was a nice fish. I measured it and it was 26" and had a nice orange color to it. (Beautifull Fish). I dont know if I would have caught more at Pelican but it sure was nice having the whole beach to myself.

mark
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
thanks for the report Digger. It sure is nice to have a beach all to yourself, nice work on the big fish.

Scott V
04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Good going Digger.

Digger38
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks Guys....Scott I caught that fish on a nice 7wt LLBean Rod.

Scott V
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
I think I know which rod you are talking about.:D I bet it was bent in half.