PDA

View Full Version : Frank Bertaina had a wonderful life......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
From the San Francisco Chronicle:

Frank Bertaina

Frank Louis Bertaina Died from a heart attack on March 3, 2010. Born to Louis and Evelyn Bertaina on April 14, 1944 in San Francisco, California. He leaves his son Frank Jr., granddaughter Amanda, great granddaughter Alyssa Grace, sister Jackie, an aunt, cousins, countless friends, and fishing buddies; predeceased by his long time companion Ann Joergenson and beloved canine pal Jake.

Frank was a major league pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles where he was on the roster in the 1966 World Series. He also pitched for the Washington Senators, and St. Louis Cardinals.

Frank co-owned and founded Fishing International in Santa Rosa, CA and was a co-owner of Lava Creek Lodge in Fall River Mills, CA.

To write his obituary is a most difficult task. To sum up in limited words a life full of adventure, accomplishment, and passion is nearly impossible. To write an ending to a life teaming with anticipation of more things to do, more fishing, wherever in the world the fishing was good, is an exercise in futility, but one that must be done. Where to begin. Simply - it is about doing, not about material things or accomplishments. "Embrace life", he would say. "Find your passion". "Seize the day". For Frank it was all about the fishing; being on the water, anticipating being on the water; finding the fish; making the cast, and sharing these experiences with his friends. He made a final cast on March 3, 2010. A cast made for a far different purpose than all the others. Still the line was skillfully drawn back with fluid perfection, then hesitating just long enough to change direction at the exact right moment, allowing the line to effortlessly unfold and stretch out to meet a welcoming target; a target that would draw him in, hook him gently and guide him on to new waters. Now he has arrived. Finally he is home. In Frank's own words found in a letter written to a dear friend over 25 years ago he expressed his thoughts about fishing that day and just being there: "... Fishing good; loving every second of it. There's something here that freshens up my reason for being alive. My senses are so tuned, every sight, scent, and sound. There's a music, a song, a love that's wonderful. My heart soars like a hawk..." To end I leave you with one of Frank's favorite sayings, one he expressed often, "Get your casts in while you can fore tomorrow is promised to no one."

Private services were held.

A gathering to celebrate his life will be held on April 18th at 1:00 pm at the Odd Fellows Lodge, 545 Pacific Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95404.

Donations in Frank's name may be made to the Russian River Wild Steelhead Society, mailing address: 16129 Main Street, Unit B, Guerneville, CA 95446, e-mail address; rrwildsteelheadsociety@gmail.com

Terry Imai
03-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I had the wonderful opportunity to spend several days at Lava Creek Lodge several years ago when I had the opportunity to meet the owner, Frank. I don't know how we got on the topic of baseball but once I found out that he had played on the World Series Baltimore Orioles and with all of the great players that were on that team. Frank's stories of these players made great evening conversation over drinks after a good day of fishing. Since I'm a huge Ted Williams fan, it was a treat to hear his stories playing for Williams when he managed the Senators. Since Williams was a former Marine pilot and could also cuss as a Marine, Frank could do his best Williams' impression with the proper phrasing befitting a Marine. I only got to spend a few days with Frank but had a ton of stories that would always bring a grin to my face.
I know he will be missed….he was one of a kind…

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks Terry

We had Ted Williams in our shop some years back.

He was here on a baseball memorabilia tour and had some time off and looked in the yellow pages to find us.

It was on a Sunday and I was off, dang, but Chuck Campana was there working.

Chuck said they took some new rods outside and cast them.

He said is was really wonderful to meet Ted and have some 'one on one' with him.

I wish I would have been there.

flyfish707
04-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi All,

Frank's memorial is Sunday and the Russian River Wild Steelhead Society event is on Saturday at the Russian River Sportsman's Club in Duncans Mills. Tickets are only in advance, so please call and reserve at King's in Guerneville. (707) 869-2156.

Thanks,

Chris Aff
RRWSS Board