PDA

View Full Version : local surf question

junebug
03-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Planning to spend the weekend in monterey and figured I'd try my luck in the sudz. I've fished once near sand city but got my but kicked by the crazy current there. Is there a location nearby that would be better to try? Any advice for location or flies would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Jay Murakoshi
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
What area of monterey are you staying at. I would try between the hotel on the beach and the sewer plant. That's where I started my surf zone fishing. I was in the area today but didn't have a chance to check the water

My favorite patterns are the rusty squirrel with a llama hair sand crab fly for the dropper. Another great fly is the Orange Ruffy.

Good luck and stay safe

Jay

T&K
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I live in La Selva Beach and fish the surf a lot. The wind and swell will determine your success. Google magicseaweed for the upcoming conditions. As a general rule the morning is the best time to fly fish before the onshore winds pick up. Look for the holes between the sand bars. I like the lower tides so that i can get out onto a sand bar to cast with the onshore wind instead of into it.

The southern beaches have been producing a few stripers. Moss Landing, Salinas River mouth, Fort Ord. If you want to target stripers, clousers work well although stripers can surprise you and take a fly intended for surf perch.
The perch fishing has been slow. But this could change any day now.

Good Luck

T&K

junebug
03-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey there Jay! Thanks for the info. From my previous experience in that area I need all the help I can get. I know I've told you my troubles in the surf. (Should've taken the Hanley class!!). T&K, good stuff and much appriciated! Wasn't sure if the stripers were around this time of year. I plan to target perch while learning the surf, but the stripers are my goal for the beach. The incidental striper would be cool. I'll bring some clouser with me with that info.
Thanks guys,
Dave