PDA

View Full Version : Mat Rat....

Darian
03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I kinda got carried away (being inspired by watching KD at the vice) and tied a variation using a double hook. Check it out:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture-1.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture.jpg

These things are really heavy and may sink thru the mat. :eek: Also, will be difficult to cast. Maybe a lob cast :?: At any rate, can't wait to test it out.... :nod:

SteveP
03-22-2010, 02:36 PM
That is sssssssswwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet I love it and if it doesn't sink through I can't imagine it wouldn't be a killer in the weeds. so how tough is it to tie a mat rat if you are fairly proficient at spinning hair?? I ordered the video this weekend since I couldn't justify the drive out from MO and am chomping at the bit to get it in my hands!!

Steve

Ed Wahl
03-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Darian, watch out, there's some dude right behind your fly.:eek:

Stevep, it's pretty simple hair spinning, you'll laugh when you see just how simple.

Ed

SteveP
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I think that dude behind the fly is about to explode on it like a monster bass would!!! I sure hope they are pretty easy I am way to excited to see the video. What else is on the DVD, anything or is just the mat rat???? I could really care less I NEEEEEEEEED that pattern in my box so bad..

Steve

Ed Wahl
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
It's tying instructions with no BS at all. Just what I was looking for. Soon as I find those hooks I'll get started on a batch of my own.

Steve, our pond topwater is already starting up here in the Sacramento Valley, what's the status of the ponds in Mo?

Ed

Darian
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
The fly kinda looks like it would grab a Bass and throw 'im out on the bank, don't it. :nod: Any way, I'm a bit too heavy for it. So, the dude behind the fly took it and ended up releasing himself for another day.... :lol:

As I mentioned, this fly is heavy. KD's weigh around 48 grains and I have a feel for that weight after picking one up. This one has to be twice that weight. The hook is a 4/0, double, Gamakatsu. The type used for those bait casting frogs. :eek: If I have any problems with it while casting, I'll probably use it on my spinning rod. :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
03-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Darian, that's a helluva good looking fly. It has big bass written all over it. Can't wait to hear how your test results go. :D

SteveP
03-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Bassin here in MO is low and slow for now but the crappie are getting fired up and the gills are there just sluggish, 4 weeks ago though we had an ice fishing tourney (the only conventional tackle fishing I do).

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi SteveP

Send us some pictures this spring of your bass water.

SteveP
03-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Sure will do. Planning on a short trip out with the boat on Sunday if the rain holds off..... not looking too good for that though the closer it gets the higher the % gets!!

Steve