PDA

View Full Version : Best time to start spring fishing lakes?

DFrink
03-22-2010, 08:22 AM
This year I have decided to tackle some local lakes with my fly rod. I fished a few last summer (Fuller, etc.) with success but I', hoping to put something bigger than a 12" rubber trout on the end of my line (although sometimes a confidence booster helps the ego:-D). My question is when is the best time to start fishing sierra lakes (around 4000 to 5000 feet)? I have an intermediate line and a floating line. Most the lakes I have in mind are currently snowed in, but once the roads clear should I charge in, or wait for a certain water temperature? I am used to fishing lakes early morning and late evening, is it the same when using fly gear? Unfortunately many sierra lakes are quite windy early morning and evening so it would be dificult to cast at these times. Just looking for some experienced lake guys to throw in some knowledge that may put me a little higher up on the learning curve.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I would say that May is a good month to start for mid-elevation lakes with June being good as well.

You can fish lakes all day as long as the wind does not get too bad.

Usually the wind is low in the AM and PM with afternoons windy.

ted1
03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Try to hit the ice outs within the first week. Don't trust reports; last spring I heard one that said "lake just iced out today", I went the next day and water temp was 55. Still caught alot of fish, but ice out is really good.

DFrink
03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
When fishing a lake just after it thaws, is there one technique that can be more effective than another (i.e. stripping streamers vs using midges under an indicator) or is it like any other situation where you just have to learn the area to see what works? I'm interested in fishing shallows for fish that come up when the lake "turns". I am familiar with the concept, but have never really went out with it as a game plan. I know some lakes that hold some nice browns and would love to hook into one with a fly rod!

gene goss
03-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Here's a web. site that could help you to findout about Davis Lake iceout. flyfishwithdon.com .....the time is now.

gene goss
03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey Colfaxtroutman....i just got a email from Jay (littletruckee) that Davis Lake has 14 inches of ice still on the lake.....sooooooo you might need to check this out a little more before you run up there......ice out time is getting very close.....Frenchman Lake will ice out before Davis Lake does.

DFrink
03-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Hey Colfaxtroutman....i just got a email from Jay (littletruckee) that Davis Lake has 14 inches of ice still on the lake.....sooooooo you might need to check this out a little more before you run up there......ice out time is getting very close.....Frenchman Lake will ice out before Davis Lake does.

Thanks for the heads up Gene. I will definately make sure the lake is clear before making any trips out. The web site you posted has some really good information on it.