PDA

View Full Version : Wading staff

SHigSpeed
03-21-2010, 02:38 PM
After wade fishing on and off for thirty years, I finally used a wading staff (sort of) for the first time this weekend. I've taken spills in the American and Yuba in the past, and what a difference! Very helpful in wading upstream out of holes you waded down into. Also, it makes moving much faster and safer. I'm sold.

The felt and studs help, but to have the third leg to lean on is awesome! Also it rocks for scrabbling up hillsides getting to and from the water. Now granted, my single ski pole with the disc removed wasn't designed for wading, it works fine, and the pair was 16 bits at a garage sale.

Question: What length do you all use? Also, to keep track of it, I attached a bungee to it and a magnetic net release so I can snap it to the back of my vest out of the way and within easy reach.

_SHig

SLOwag
03-21-2010, 03:25 PM
my single ski pole with the disc removed wasn't designed for wading, it works fine, and the pair was 16 bits at a garage sale.

Question: What length do you all use? Also, to keep track of it, I attached a bungee to it and a magnetic net release so I can snap it to the back of my vest out of the way and within easy reach.

I think you nailed it. I don't use one YET but the best I've seen is a "walking stick" cut down to about 4' in length and attached to this persons hip. I think I would avoid a bungee especially when moving up and downstream through the willows, I would hate to have that bungee snag on the brush then load up and release back at me :eek:. I would hope the magnet would release first....

joshfish
03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
i did the same thing. a friend gave me a pair of old ski poles and then i found an old snowboard leash that i use for my lanyard. when im fishing i just let go of my staff and let it float in the water. sometimes i wish it was a little longer or would break down like the wading staffs but not enough to spend that kind of money on one yet.

Mike O
03-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I bought a cheap one from Wally World..Can't afford the Folstaff, that's sure. It is about sternum high, and collapses. One day I am going to make myself a nice hick'ry stick, turn it or sand it into somthing cool.

SHigSpeed
03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I tried floating the staff at my side but it kept getting fouled in my strip loops so I had to move it out back.

One thing I wish is if the thing didn't float. It'd be nice if I didn't have to push it down into the water. Maybe I'll drill some holes to vent it? Except that it'd probably ruin it structurally.

_SHig

joshfish
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
shig, thats funny i just realized that every time ive been fishing with my wading staff its always been down stream from my stripping hand so ive never had an issue with it tangling in my loops.

Victor Yee
03-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I've seen one of my "cheap" fishing buddy with a old ski pole that, to him was perfectly functional, but when he used it, he looked too off balance. I always thought it was too short, causing him to lean downward, rather than being able to really lean into it upright and helping keep his balance. He never understood the reason I'm more aggressive of a wader... hence, allowing me to wade deeper,- with something as simple as a staff that is, like what the fella said, about sternum length.

SHigSpeed
03-21-2010, 09:16 PM
I've seen one of my "cheap" fishing buddy with a old ski pole that, to him was perfectly functional, but when he used it, he looked too off balance. I always thought it was too short, causing him to lean downward, rather than being able to really lean into it upright and helping keep his balance. He never understood the reason I'm more aggressive of a wader... hence, allowing me to wade deeper,- with something as simple as a staff that is, like what the fella said, about sternum length.

I agree that a short staff would hinder deep wading. My ski pole is exactly sternum height. Only thing is that it's a "righty" made with the hand grip molded and slalom knuckle guards. This is actually quite comfy in my right hand, but for the special cases when I need to use my left, it's not ideal.

I'd considered putting a nice full wells cork grip on it, but I do like the knuckle guards in that I can put weight on them without having to use grip strength to support myself (if that makes sense).

I think these poles are quite old though. I think there's been some ski pole evolution since they were new (no, I don't ski - too many hobbies already!) so they may be somewhat unique to what's out there now.

I'll attach a pic. (It's made in Italy - it's gotta be good!)

_SHig

Mike O
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I agree that a short staff would hinder deep wading. My ski pole is exactly sternum height. Only thing is that it's a "righty" made with the hand grip molded and slalom knuckle guards. This is actually quite comfy in my right hand, but for the special cases when I need to use my left, it's not ideal.

_SHig

Sand it down round. usually The grips come off with a screw. You could also take it off, and get a cheap bike handlebar grip for a kids bike.

I didn't like using my (bamboo) ski pole...it vibrated like crazy in the current when I gave it pressure.

Darian
03-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Personally, I don't like ski poles for wading staffs. A good wading staff should be strong enough to rely on when in trouble mid-stream or river but light enough to carry (wooden shaft). Also, the tip (bottom) of a wading staff should readily sink to contact a rocky bottom and stick on it without sliding (metal). The grip section should be closely/tightly wrapped with twine and varnished. A lanyard may be attached, also. The length of the staff is your choice but I'd go with the sternum length recommended earlier in this thread.

The metal tip should be malleable and not subject to rapid corrosion or rust. That means something like brass or copper. The tip must be thick to provide weight and be fastened to the end with a metal pin thru the shaft (like metal). This construction should allow a lost staff to sink bottom first and the handle section to float for potential retrieval.

If you look closely at photo's of ol' timers (Ted Fay and others) using a staff, it usually was made this way. A bit old fashioned but effective and reliable.

So, IMHO, a wooden staff with a metal tipped end is better than a hollow, light weight ski pole not meant for wading. :nod:

EricO
03-22-2010, 10:16 AM
I've had one of Ron Hart's staffs for a number of years, and
it's still going strong. Comes in 44" and 54" tall. I use it primarily on the
Pit where a staff is a must. I believe it is made of hickory. It also has
a plastic sleeve on the end to prevent splitting.

IHMO, I think the wood sound is much more natural than the "tink tink tink"
of a metal staff or ski pool.

I like that it floats, is sturdy as hell and has saved my butt more times
than I can count. And it's quite a bit cheaper than the collapsible folding
staffs. $40-$50 bucks and worth every penny. I would not use a folding staff
for difficult wading conditions. They just won't give you the support you
need in a tough jam, versus a one-piece wooden staff.

As a inexpensive alternative, my buddy just uses an old wooden mop, attached
a foam grip to the handle, and put a cord and caribiner on the end to attach
to his D-ring on the back of his vest. Works just fine, although wears down
faster without a protective tip.

My .02 pennies

EO

obfg
03-22-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.no-floatstix.com/index.html

sgr
03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I've had one of Ron Hart's staffs for a number of years, and
it's still going strong.

I agree, Ron thought these out after years of guiding the Sacramento.

I've tried the hiking/ski poles (which had a tendency to collapse at the most unfortunate time), and the sinking staff (which hangs up on every rock and branch) and I keep coming back to the Hart model.

A wading staff is a nuisance, but a dysfunctional wading staff is worse than a nuisance.

Frank R. Pisciotta
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
shall comfort thee.

When I started my guide service...centries ago, Thy Rod & Staff became my offical DBA (doing business as). Also, for those familiar with my ads in California Fly Fisher and Sierra Fisherman my logio is a rod and staff.

Obviously this thread has piqued my interest. I've been following the commerical and personal development of wading staffs for 40 years now. I've used the ski-poles, commerical ones, wooden ones and after all these years I am currently using a Black Diamond wading staff. It has the best locking device ever. I've avoided the collapsable ones (either they seperate at the most unoppurtune times OR do not seperate!).

darian provides some good advice...most especailly relative to wooden staffs & weights in shaft and his mention of Ted Fay.

Here are a couple of suggestions I have that have not been mentioned:

1----Best to use a 360 degree loop and put it diagonally across your non-casting shoulder...Forgetabout a straight lanyard because you'll never know where your staff is. With a 360 loop the staff is always at a very specific location at your side...there when you need it; no searching.

2----Blunt the bottom metallic tips...I use rubber a cane bottom/secured with strong tape with black electrical tape or the silver one (forget it's name) with If not; sonar will carry the clicking sounds and possibly alert fish to your presence.

I've been using staffs so long that when I don't...giving to a client, forgetting to bring spares...it is like missing a leg. I'm amazed at how many fly anglers do not use them....maybe too MACHO?...I've been using them since I was 24 years old and I was really macho.....then.

Talking wading staffs...you're in my wheelhouse.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
03-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Relative to sgr and EO's posts....

I've used Ron Hart's; is a good wooden one.

I've also used Ron Rabun's; also a functional wooden staff. I lost it last year and it has been replaced by the Black Diamond adjustable staff I mentioned in my previous post. Rabun's staff has a better rubber handle. I believe it is a ribbed bike handle.

What I personally dislike about both is that neither is easily set-up for the 360 degree loop (IMO...highly desireable*) I spoke about previously. Any suggestions on doing such, I am receptive. Both Rons' staffs are less costly than the Black Diamond.

Frank R. Pisciotta

* except for one highly unlikelyscenario

Darian
03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Frank,.... The suggestion about the loop around the shoulder is a very good one. I've found myself floppin' around trying to retrieve a staff in mid-stream before (probably because I haven't used one regularly :confused: ).

Covering the metal tip is something I hadn't thought of as using a soft metal like brass means it doesn't make as much of a click (more of a dull thud). However, it still will make some noise. Sooo,.... Would you think that dipping the tip in some type of liquid latex rubber or vinyl to make a thin coating would work :?: :?: I'm not a big fan of tape. It always seems to rub off when I need it to be there.... :nod:

SHigSpeed
03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Lead tip would solve the floating issue, the tink tink issue, though the environmental effects are questionable... :)

_SHig

Frank R. Pisciotta
03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Frank,.... The suggestion about the loop around the shoulder is a very good one.

If my recollection is accurate; I got the 360 degree loop from Ted Fay...via my bro-in-law from Weed who fished with Ted...before Ted practiced C&R.

I've found myself floppin' around trying to retrieve a staff in mid-stream before...

it will always be at the same side...not between your legs, which can happen. There is no searching.

(probably because I haven't used one regularly :confused: ).

Covering the metal tip is something I hadn't thought of as using a soft metal like brass means it doesn't make as much of a click (more of a dull thud). However, it still will make some noise.

admittedly muted instead a louder metal

Sooo,.... Would you think that dipping the tip in some type of liquid latex rubber or vinyl to make a thin coating would work :?: :?: I'm not a big fan of tape. It always seems to rub off when I need it to be there....

I've used the liquid latex; it, like rubber cane cap with tape will eventually wear-off. I prefer the rubber-cap/tape.:nod:

Frank R Pisciotta

jblack
03-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Scott --Here is my advice. Skip the wading staff. Eat 3 or 4 of those cakes your wife bakes (or some of those pastries) and your good to go. The real issue is you don't weigh enough. You need to be about 6'6' 250 then you can wade wherever you want and not worry about the current moving you down stream. :p

sgr
03-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Scott --Here is my advice. Skip the wading staff. Eat 3 or 4 of those cakes your wife bakes (or some of those pastries) and your good to go. The real issue is you don't weigh enough. You need to be about 6'6' 250 then you can wade wherever you want and not worry about the current moving you down stream. :p

This message has been brought to you by the American Heart Association and the Insurance Council. :-$

sgr
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Frank,

Thanks for the tip on the 360 degree tether.

I think the best way to impliment that on one of Ron's sticks would be to visit R.E.I. and find both a loop clamp, two small caribiners and the climbing cord sufficient to size. One could cut off the stick's tether and form a loop. This loop could then be the anchor for both a 360 or a leash tether as desired.
Probably cost maybe 8 bucks for the whole set up.

Or wait until Fishpond makes one and sells it for $50.00.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Armpit to ground is a good length.

We have the Simms folding wading staff that is $129.00 that is hard to keep in stock.

They come 52" and 56" long.

You can make one out of a willow branch or a piece of oak too.

Ed Wahl
03-22-2010, 09:34 PM
You can make one out of a willow branch or a piece of oak too.

Of course, after making one of your own out of said materials, please remit 129.75 to Ed Wahl, for my convience fee.

Otherwise, you're just using a stick, and how embarrassing would that be?

Ed

Bill Markwood
03-23-2010, 09:06 AM
I agree with Frank. Hart's river stalker is a very good staff. It comes with it's own bungee cord and is almost indistructable. I never leave home without it.

andanb
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I use the Ron Hart's wading staff have for years...but I just recently saw a magnetic holder much like the ones for nets that hold the staff. I usually attach my net to my wading belt behind me, but the staff can be attached to the neck loop at the top of a vest or a chest pack. The staff hangs down and rests between your sholder blades out of the way. It looked great to me as my staff usually floats downstream and I must always be sure to clear my stripped line...what a pain.

SHigSpeed
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I use the Ron Hart's wading staff have for years...but I just recently saw a magnetic holder much like the ones for nets that hold the staff. I usually attach my net to my wading belt behind me, but the staff can be attached to the neck loop at the top of a vest or a chest pack. The staff hangs down and rests between your sholder blades out of the way. It looked great to me as my staff usually floats downstream and I must always be sure to clear my stripped line...what a pain.

Here's where I have a possible issue. Though I did mention that I too used the magnetic release on the vest center loop, I found that with my 48" staff, I would kick it with my heel while walking on land. Now that I've extended the staff to 52" I'm sure it'll be worse.

I'll have to try the net to the belt trick, though I don't think the hiking would work well with that setup.

_SHig

Bruce Slightom
03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
I was first introduced to the use of a staff by Ted Fay. Ted was about 75 and I was 20 something. I had won a two day trip with Ted in a Cal Trout drawing. I was impressed to say the least when I fished with Ted and he could out wade me. It made me a believer.

Like Frank mentioned he used a bungee cord that went over the shoulder with a brass ring on it that would slide. He attached a hard wood broom handle to it The length was about mid point from the waist to the arm pit. This method allows you to place the staff over either shoulder to keep it out of the way of the line.

This method also is helpful when climbing up embankments.

I do not like a staff that sinks, I think that if it goes and gets caught between rocks there is a chance of tripping over it. I do not like metal one because of the noise.

Craig Nielsen
03-24-2010, 01:44 AM
ShigSpeed:
I have used most wading staffs mentioned by others and have settled on two. The new Simms foldable staff is my favorite along with the old standby, Hart's Riverstalker. I have found the shorter ones are preferred by anglers under about six feet tall, the longer ones for taller folks. There is a short piece on the ShastaTrout blog (http://www.shastatrout.com/wading-staffs-a-northern-california-fly-fishing-guides-review) that may interest you.

lmunneke
03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
The best wading staff I've used over the last 7-8 years was a closet rod from the hardware store. I bought approximatley 8'-10' rod and cut it in two pieces. I held my hand out at my side at 90 degrees and trimmed the staff a little above. Drilled a hole just below the top and used nylon cord for a lanyard and bought a brass retractable connect, with a D-loop on the other side to attach the lanyard. Srewed in a rubber cup like the ones that go on the bottom of canes. Used some left over deck paint to coat the staff and shazam the best rod for cheap.

Floats and easy to fix plus extra piece for back up. Good strong support and can be used to hack at berry bushes.

lynnwhite44
03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
I used the Hart Riverstalker for a few years but then I broke it, I tripped and the staff got wedged between some rocks and it snapped. Now I use a home made jobber, an old ski pole handle with an Oak pole that I bought at Home Depot. Only cost a few bucks. I attached it to my belt with some elastic cord.

Leo that closet pole sounds a little thick. Leo is about 6'5" though.

I also don't like metal because of the noise they make clanking on the rocks.

I think I posted this story before but once at band camp......... er...a.. once when I was fishing the upper sac I was backing down off a boulder and the bottom of my staff dug into the ground and the top of my staff found it's way between my cheeks. I was suspended in mid air on top of my staff for what seem like five seconds and then I crashed to the ground. Unfortunately nobody saw, it must have looked hilarious

Also sometimes the staff gets stuck in branches and then brakes free and nails me.

When I fish with studded boots I find that I usaully don't need a staff.