PDA

View Full Version : Having problems sealing the deal...

SHigSpeed
03-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Part of the challenge right? I've been out seven times to the AR from the hatchery down to Arden, and I've managed a couple dozen trout-head to hand, but only have hooked 3 adults (two this morning for an adrenalin overload) but so far managed none to hand.

I've been primarily swinging the whole time so I'm wondering if my trout habits are hindering me? I've read and heard over and over how you're supposed to let the fish pull you grab loop and even take drag before lifting. Nerves of steel so to speak. I don't specifically recall how I've reacted to these three fish, though on the last one (and the one that stayed buttoned the longest) I recall getting a bump, holding firm, the fly finishing the swing and hanging a moment, then it was on.

Anyway, just venting. Grabbed some SPBL hooks today and will try, try again!

Stupid fish...

_SHig

jbird
03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
All I can say is try not to lift the rod. When I swing for trout or steelhead I never raise the rod until the fish has finished its first run. It takes a lot of nerve to not come up on it but it really pays. Your flyline has plenty of stretch to protect your tippet during the grab and run.

Other than that, some stay hooked and some dont, keep tryin and youll get slimed eventually :-)

aaron
03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
When you set, do so towards the bank.

pit
03-30-2010, 11:15 PM
I was having the same problem last year for a bit. Try not to set the hook at all. A ten+ pound fish will set the hook itself. Keep the rod tip angled slightly up while swinging and when you get a good strike insted of dropping a loop to the fish just lower the rod tip about a foot and reach out your arms a bit toward the fish. This will give the fish a couple of seconds to take the fly and turn with it. When you feel it pull again just put preasure on the line, but don't jerk it up. Keep your movements slow and steady do not bounce the line or let it go slack unless your fish jumps then lower the rod tip to the water. This is not trout fish'n and it took me a couple of years to retrane myself.-Pit:thumbsup:

Kevin Goding
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Where on your swing are you getting the most grabs that come unbuttoned? If it's at the very end of your swing, my best advice is to actually lower your rod tip just a bit, then do a gentle sideways hookset, perpendicular to the water flow (aka side to side). I usually rotate my rod 90 degrees as well to get the guides lined up to whichever direction im setting (left or right) as I lower that rod tip.

It takes some practice, but once your reflexes are down for those dead end drift grabs you'll hook em and land em easy.