PDA

View Full Version : Gotta say this one time to get it out of my system

Mike O
03-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I think it is truly asinine that Solano Lake was lumped with Putah Creek for single, barbless, C&R year 'round. I had no problem with the people who wanted to turn the creek section into restricted water, but to take out the water the kids fish in out of the campground? What a crock. The group(s) responsible should be ashamed. [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

Not planting the river because of some EIR? Solano is the byproduct of a tailwater being held up by a diversion dam. There are 2 DAMS!! I think your EIR is kinda SOL. [-X

Plant fish, put an age limit on the lake, and let it go. Where do you think those 20"ers came from in the first place? :\\ :angry:

Know how hard it is to find a place with fish in the summer to take kid(s) fishing now?

Sorry, you can all feel free to castigate me now.

mao

Jay
03-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Have they cited any reasoning? To protect the broodstock for the creek? Or just out of asininity?

Mike O
03-20-2010, 11:06 PM
I am sure there is a "reason", but what it boils down to is that the FFers were at the meeting, and the rest of us (myself included) were not. I let my kid down on that one...never saw it coming.

bonish
03-21-2010, 01:11 AM
I've heard that Lake Solano was included in the Putah reg changes, but I don't see that reflected in the recently released reg booklet. It does not mention Lake Solano in the special restricted waters section (unless I didn't see it) which would mean it would fall under the general Valley Division lake regs. As for Putah, it states "from Lake Solano to Monticello Dam", which I interpret as addressing only the creek and not the reservoir, unless the definition is that the lake is actually Putah Creek. But if one followed that reasoning, wouldn't say, for example, Lake Shasta also be considered an extension of the Upper Sac?

Mike O
03-21-2010, 09:18 AM
people have chimed in on this from this and other boards. After speaking to DFG people, they have been told that "from Lake Solano" means from the diversion dam to where the creek begins at the first fast water.

SHigSpeed
03-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Have they cited any reasoning? To protect the broodstock for the creek? Or just out of asininity?

Asininity! Love it... Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

_SHig

Hairstacker
03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Not to completely derail this thread but since this did come up . . . :D

Copy-Paste from Merriam-Webster's:

asininity

Main Entry: as·i·nine
Pronunciation: \ˈa-sə-ˌnīn\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin asininus, from asinus ass
Date: 15th century
1 : extremely or utterly foolish <an asinine excuse>
2 : of, relating to, or resembling an ass

synonyms see simple

— as·i·nine·ly adverb

— as·i·nin·i·ty \ˌa-sə-ˈni-nə-tē\ noun

Anyway, back to the subject: there is a fairly vocal group of fly fishers who fish Putah . . . I believe they have been pushing for special regs on Putah but don't know if they specifically pushed for Lake Solano as well. I know a couple frequent this board -- if they know the rationale, perhaps one of 'em will pipe in.

SHigSpeed
03-21-2010, 12:44 PM
— as·i·nin·i·ty \ˌa-sə-ˈni-nə-tē\ noun

Though not in the dictionary, another favorite of mine is jackassery. Should be in the MW...

_SHig

huntindog
03-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Though not in the dictionary, another favorite of mine is jackassery. Should be in the MW...

_SHig

i am a big fan of douchebagery

leicafish
03-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Mao,

I don't mind people getting pissed off but please get your facts straight before spewing a rant and going off on others in public.

First, the regs on Lake Solano have not changed. You can take your kids and throw worms, Pautzkes, powerbait and stringer 5 fish. How do I know this? I wrote the regs change that was submitted to the Fish and Game Commission. Go look at our website putahcreektrout.org and you will see that we requested that Solano be excluded from the zero limit regs. It was exactly for people like you that we did this even though DFG Wild Trout biologists thought that the system ought to be managed as a single unit.

Second, if you do go to Solano and put 5 fish on the stringer, you will be killing all wild trout at this point. The big pigs in the creek are wild--born and raised in the creek. They are not catchable sized planters that have held over as some think. How do I know this? We electrofished the creek with DFG last fall and found all age classes of wild trout.

Third, they aren't planting Solano anymore. That had nothing to do with us. That was a result of a lawsuit from the Center for Biologic Diversity and others. It was our expectation that they would resume planting Solano and that is why we submitted the regs change as we did. If I knew they weren't going to plant Solano, I would have included it.

Having said that, we all all losing fishing spots for one reason or another, mostly loss of water and access. Direct your anger at the folks taking water and posting access to our rivers. My kids grew up around here too and I have found of places to take them other than Solano. PM me and I'll tell you a few.

Mike O
03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
I had what little facts which were out there from reputable, unbiased? sources lined up...so I vented

From Bono's Board

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...picID=32805693

And Kiene's

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...ht=solano+lake

And CalSport:
http://www.calsport.org/12-11-09b.htm

Fish and Game commission notes (See response to Putah Creek Trout):
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/ne...tocomments.pdf

Napa Valley Register:
http://www.napavalleyregister.com/sp...cc4c03286.html

I hope my confusion was understandable.