PDA

View Full Version : No water for fish but Westlands gets a water windfall..

Mike McKenzie
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Check this out:
http://aguanomics.com/2010/03/water-is-money-is-politics.html

From one of their own....
The bump in water exports from the Delta nets $140 million dollars for Westlands Irrigation District! Meanwhile, Salmon fishermen and their families are being starved out. Recreational fishers find their game fish under attack on several fronts, having their rivers and the Delta dewatered, Proposed legislation to get rid of non-native game fish and a lawsuit to get rid of striped bass and for what?? This from Restore the Delta "Cotton and almonds for export trump native salmon fisheries and Delta family farmers".

So Coporate Ag. wins again and can milk the taxpayers even more! It's enough to make a person sick!
Mike

huntindog
03-18-2010, 07:23 PM
hey but at least we can still pay westlands $7K and go fish the McCloud..cuz they are such good people and all

wjorg
03-29-2010, 03:52 PM
I really hope you all read this piece. It's a little wierd in format, but what I got out of it is someone made a $140 MILLION DOLLAR phone call to get the water they need for farms?

I think coastal fishing communities should lobby for stimulus money to be retrained as desalination plant techs and workers, and ask for the money to have the plants built and a plan to deal with the toxic sludge......at least that might get another hamster spinning on the wheel in the politicians numbskulls.

Farmers need water to make money for Westland. Don't buy pistachios! Dammit I love them though...

sgr
03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
hey but at least we can still pay westlands $7K and go fish the McCloud..cuz they are such good people and all

Didn't this get us in trouble the last time?
Iksnay the BollocksBocksay.
\\:D/

Charlie Gonzales
03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Mike the key word that really gets me is EXPORT. I had read its close to 80% of their harvest is for export. Its not like there is any shortage of almonds, pistachios, or cotton in the world.