PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin Tuna -

David Lee
03-18-2010, 07:54 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100318/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_un_saving_species

The first one of you bright boys that names the reason that Bluefin populations are hosed gets a pat on the head .

Perhaps we can sell them our prison population for sushi ?? Nahhhh .....

D.~

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
In our lifetime I bet that most fisheries are down 90% in the worlds oceans.

I guess we still have too many people?

Most of the Sushi we get here in the USA is Yellowfin.

I think Bluefin is too expensive for the average sushi bar. Most Bluefin must be going to Japan.

David Lee
03-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Anytime someone is getting $$$$$ for a single fish .... there's going to be a problem .

According to several reports I have read over the past few years , Yellowfin are headed down the exact same path as Bluefin are currently . Most pelagic populations are down , some more than 75% from historic levels . I'll hunt for and post some links later today ....

David

Darian
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Every spring for the last 3-4 years when fishing in June at La Ventana I've seen a number of commercial purse seiners in the area picking up Black Skipjack and Yellowfin Tuna. Of course, along the way a load of Dorado is among the incidental catch. At one point, it was rumored that the Japanse commercials had contracted with the Mexican government to fish in the gulf. Of course, they were supposed to stay within specified boundaries but rarely did unless being observed by the Mexican Navy (The F&G enforcement arm).

It's not only happening in the gulf but in Magdelena Bay and all the way up and down the Central and South American coasts as well. World demand for fish flesh is at an all time high when ocean fish stocks are in decline....

I used to think that this sort of situation wouldn't happen within my lifetime but here it is.... :| :|

dpentoney
03-19-2010, 05:59 AM
In our lifetime I bet that most fisheries are down 90% in the worlds oceans.

I think Bluefin is too expensive for the average sushi bar. Most Bluefin must be going to Japan.

Depending on how they are caught and taken care of determines if they are sushi grade or not. Large quantities of bluefin are netted off Santa Cruz and turned into cat food.