PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Thread about Killing Stripers?

Loren E
03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I was in the middle of reading the thread regarding the practice of keeping striped bass when it suddenly disappeared. I realize that there were personal issues involved, but wasn't much of the debate regarding rationale behind killing stripers or not valuable information? I for one was a bit shocked at the defensive reaction of many towards Charlie's post.

One common sentiment seems to be that "if it is legal then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it". This is really startling to hear from the fly fishing community, and I'd like to challenge this mentality. What is legal is decided each year by CA Department of Fish and Game, an agency that is infamous for its mishandling of species protection and debaucheries around the state for many years. Just because it is legal to kill striped bass, that does not necessarily mean that it is a sound practice. I bet that many of you would have been quite upset in seeing a wild smith river steelhead killed and that was legal until earlier this month. As not only anglers but also stewards of our natural resources, I think it is our responsibility to go past "well if DFG says so". DFG didn't stop the killing of salmon in our rivers and now look where we are after multiple seasons of poor returns....there are no salmon so finally we get our fishing bans seeing as there are no salmon to catch anyways. My point is as conservations as well as anglers we shouldn't dumb down to the point of following blindly what is and isn't allowed by the DFG. If a species that was thriving decades ago is almost gone, isn't it time to let them all go?

Also, it was mentioned that these stripers are "just a non-native anyways". This mentality completely invalidates striped bass as a valued species of sport fish that has been reproducing in these waters for over a hundred years. That mentality goes hand in hand with Marty's report that "they should be treated like weeds"...if they're "non-natives anyways" then why not just kill every single one seeing as they've only been co-existing successfully for over a hundred years in CA waters?

Additionally, the idea that "it is just one more, what is the harm in that" is very flawed in a state with thousands upon thousands of anglers fishing for striped bass from the ocean to the bay to the delta to the rivers. That is thousands of fish we are talking about being killed each season if each striper angler "just takes home one for dinner". Sure, the party boats take truly greedy bag-limits each day in the bay and outside the gate, and a many stripers are killed by sport fishermen higher up in the system plus many are poached as well.....so essentially many fish are being killed in an already decimated and seriously struggling population....why is this a solid rationale for saying that "if i just kill one more what is the harm in that, its just one when EVERYBODY ELSE is killing so many"? Sure, they are all helping decimate our stripers along with the overriding issue of water diversion, but that should not be an excuse to kill fish just because it is less than everybody else is killing. Change starts with you. If a species is thriving like many runs of salmon in Alaska, it doesn't matter if commercial fishermen are killing thousands or if it is an untouched run of fish....if the population is thriving that should be the rationale for taking one home for dinner....if the population is struggling greatly but you're only killing a minute percentage of what others might kill that is no excuse at all..

Someone also brought up the idea of the fish not being wasted because it would be dinner, and used that as a justification for taking fish. This mentality has always been the one that bothered me the MOST. Whether or not a fish is wasted might weigh on a person's conscience, BUT whether or not it is wasted has ZERO effect on the impact of taking the fish. What I mean: commercial fishermen in Baja come in and net up entire schools of fish, usually tuna, and the results have been felt in the past as taking such huge amounts of fish decimates population. I can assure you that none of that fish "went to waste", it was all canned and sold and eaten but just because it was not wasted not not affect the impact that was had on the population. Going to somewhere like Mexico as a sport fishermen and killing every fish you catch that day because "it won't be wasted" because you will give all of the fish to the people of the town to eat is not a justification for killing these fish. IF the species you are killing is a healthy one that can support the practice of catch and kill fishing, then great...keep some fish if you like...but whether or not at the end of the day you throw these fish on the beach to rot in the sun and be wasted or whether you eat them won't play a part in the sustainability of killing those fish, it will only affect the feelings of morality felt by the angler, and so the idea that killing any fish in any amount is ok "because it didn't go to waste" is a very human construct that is a completely lame justification of killing fish. The health of a population of fish should determine whether you are going to take some home to eat, not the fact that you are sure it will be eaten. Would you feel ok about killing any other endangered or threatened species just because you were going to make sure to eat it and not let it get freezer-burned? Eating an endangered or threatened species does not negate killing it.

In regards to the comment "even Blanton advocated for a slot limit for stripers" as to suggest that Dan Blanton is even in favor of the occasional killing of striped bass is a COMPLETE misinterpretation. Dan Blanton and many other passionate striped bass activists have been advocating for a slot limit because it is a step in the right direction, and it would mean that less stripers would be getting killed than are right now, NOT because he believes that anglers should take stripers home from time to time. I am not Dan Blanton and so I cannot truly speak for him, but I would challenge any one of you to ask him and I can assure you that he would explain to you that that a slot limit is just a step in the right direction and an improvement, as we are not going to have an over-night change to catch and release only fishing for stripers. If catch and release was a realistic regulation change right now I think he would be advocating for that, but he is simply working towards the most realistic change at the moment.

The idea that killing a smaller striper is a justification as well seems very flawed in that sure, the effect won't be felt next season because it was not this 18 inch fish that was full of eggs to be spawned for the next season of stripers, but isn't it this 18 inch striper that will grow into a spawner in a few years? Isn't this not really a justification, as it just means that the effects of killing the fish won't be felt for longer? Sure, killing a big spawner sucks because those fish won't be back as the new generation, but who will be the big spawner in a few years?? If a virus or some freak thing was wiping out pre-pubescent 8-12 year olds we wouldn't see our human populations fall now but they sure would in 15-30 years.

I realize that my response is very long winded, but it is an issue that I feel very strongly about, like Charlie. Although I do not agree with the decision to keep stripers, please let me be clear: my response to the thread is not intended to be an attack on either Tony Buzolich or Mike Bosworth and so I hope that is too is not deleted, as it is about the health and associated practice of catch and kill versus catch and release of a game fish that I hope is loved by many of us, and not about Tony or Mike. I am trying to speak to the larger issues that this thread brings up in regards to the practice of killing endangered or threatened species as sportsmen, because of how surprised I was by the many justifications of keeping a striper that I strongly disagree with.

Tight lines -Loren Elliott

Cal
03-17-2010, 11:53 PM
I agree with the sentiment of not killing off great gamefish just because it is legal.

In addition, there is a practical reason not to eat stripers and LMB. They are among the fish species in CA most loaded with toxic mercury. If you start feeling all tingly in your fingers and toes, consult your neurologist, pronto. They may be able to give you an IV of a chelating agent to clear the stuff out of your blood stream, then you won't end up all twitchy and bitchy.

I am a toxicologist, I won't eat them.

Tracy Chimenti
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
The guy releases 99.9% of all his fish. A paying client kept a schoolie to eat. He IS licensed. He does not need a six-pack charter lic to take people to Boyd's Pump for shad.

Get a life and go bother somone else.

David Lee
03-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Since we're all venting our opinions on the subject .........

I would be suprised if my harvest record over the past 15 years was more than 5 Stripes total . The flaw to the total C&R concept is the partyboats that have raped the Bay for the past several years - if Striped Bass were going to be fished-out , I believe it would have happened by now . The whole 'I have the right to keep a fish/you're an ass because you kept a fish' is just another thing to keep us ALL divided .

Do you REALLY want to change things ??

Quit expecting lawyers that you have thrown money at to cure the issue - get off your ass , get a burning torch and a few dozen Friends (bait , gear , fly , whatever ...) , and go to the Capitol and show the powers-that-be just how pissed-off you really are . Because THAT is the real issue - not keeping a few fish , but destroying the Delta where they breed . Without water ..... you can release every single fish and the population will still tank in the end , because fish don't breath air .

While writing letters/funding whatever cause/peaceful protesting isn't a bad idea . I honestly believe that an ANGRY MOB is a better idea .

Think about it -

David

EDIT - my email is sculpin65@sbcglobal.net , in case you really want to vent .

mark
03-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I agree with the sentiment of not killing off great gamefish just because it is legal.

In addition, there is a practical reason not to eat stripers and LMB. They are among the fish species in CA most loaded with toxic mercury. If you start feeling all tingly in your fingers and toes, consult your neurologist, pronto. They may be able to give you an IV of a chelating agent to clear the stuff out of your blood stream, then you won't end up all twitchy and bitchy.

I am a toxicologist, I won't eat them.

Yes but they are so delicious. Plus I am considering starting a second career as a human thermometer......

Darian
03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I was gonna ignore this but.... Loren, you mentioned the point about Dan's advocacy of a slot limit for Striped Bass. That he did so on his own BB is fact and, yes, a step in the right direction. However, you're splitting hairs here. I would argue that advocating for what may be accomplished at the moment is the same thing. :nod: Semantics!!! ;)

It's one thing to hold strong convictions. Quite another to be self destructive while running a business (guiding). If a guide has to make a choice between strongly held convictions and risking loss of clients, making money to support a particular lifestyle may become very difficult. In other words, most guides don't dictate to their clients or they won't have many. :nod:

Your post is civil/thoughtful in nature and as such is worthy of respectful response. What was written in the thread that was deleted was not necessarily civil or accurate. It became personal and put a person I know well (and count as a personal friend) in the position of having to defend his reputation, unjustifiably. That was/is unacceptable.

Incidentally, I'm in the school of thought that says taking a fish for the table now and then is not a bad thing....

lee s.
03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
There is only ONE thing that will save or prolong any of our fisheries, anadromous or otherwise. As far as I know, not being a lawyer and all, that one thing is absolutely forbidden and illegal for any of us as individuals. It is only legal for governments. That one thing is the elimination of a bazillion people from our envrioment. This elimination should start right at the top (more now-so than ever) and effect right on down to the lowest peon such as myself. ;-)
.....lee s.

Tracy Chimenti
03-18-2010, 04:48 PM
You must be talking about retro-active birth control!

I think we should get tax breaks for not having so many kids. And I think we need to go to the ocean for our water in SoCal, but we need the power to do this, and the only place we can get that base load is from nuclear power. It's a long uphill battle that my kid will end up fighting.

SFMike
03-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey Loren,
Very thoughtful and well-written post. Nice to see that on the board! I agree with a lot of what you said, and I also agree with David that the most important thing we can do to secure the striper (and salmon and steelhead) population is to stop the water being pumped out of the delta. I think that's going to be the key to the striper population going forward. If we can keep water in the delta, the populations will at least have a chance to recover and hopefully there will be enough fish for everyone to keep one now and then if they want to.

Also, if the population is hurting, why is the limit still 2 fish? A one fish limit might be a step in the right direction too. It would sure cut down the party boat numbers.

I'm friends with and have fished with Loren and Mike Bosworth. They're both great guys, excellent fishermen, and people that care about the fishery. It sucks to see people taking cheap shots at your friends. We all want the same thing here - lots of fish to try to catch. So why make enemies amongst ourselves?

mike

joshfish
03-18-2010, 08:06 PM
loren you made an excellant point about my comment of its not going to waste. i didnt look at that big of a picture. on another note i read a thread about stripers being fought too long or being handled incorrectly and they die shortly after release. i know this is not nearly at the rate of catch and kill but still an issue.

RDR
03-18-2010, 08:25 PM
The guy releases 99.9% of all his fish. A paying client kept a schoolie to eat. He IS licensed. He does not need a six-pack charter lic to take people to Boyd's Pump for shad.

Get a life and go bother somone else.

If I am following you correctly, you are saying that Tony does not have a 6pak license.

Thank you for clarifying this as Tony would not seem to address the 6-pak issue directly.

The problem is that Tony guides waters, (other than Boyd’s pump) where a 6pak license is required. It is these actions, which will continue to have his guiding/business questioned.

Tracy Chimenti
03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
"...you are saying that Tony does not have a 6pak license."

I said he doesn't need one to fish Boyd's with a client.

windwalker
03-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Well I don't know much about the legality of guiding, but what I do know is that as a customer I would take an unlicensed guide who will put me on some fish over a douschebag any day.

Scott V
03-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Well I don't know much about the legality of guiding, but what I do know is that as a customer I would take an unlicensed guide who will put me on some fish over a douschebag any day.

Statements like this are why threads get closed. Out of common courtesy to Bill Kiene can we stop this, it accomplishes nothing.

huntindog
03-19-2010, 07:43 AM
oK, an honest question here...what is a six pack license and when is one required.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Most threads are deleted because some people get out of control with their opinions and are attacking people.

I would not allow it in my store either.

I don't want people to think that I condone this behavior so I have to just delete it all, sadly in some cases.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Also, comfortably 90% of the legal Stripers caught by most non-fly fishers are killed, legally.

I doubt if 1% of the Stripers caught by fly fishers are killed.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

I am always for a slot limit to keep the bigger fish in the system for spawning.

This will never happen because of the commercial salmon lobbyists.

Scott V
03-19-2010, 09:28 AM
oK, an honest question here...what is a six pack license and when is one required.

Charter Boat Captain - OUPV - "SIX-PACK"
Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels

This 62-hour course prepares students for their OUPV license - commonly called a six-pack or charter captain's license. The license is required by those operating vessels that carry no more than six passengers for hire. USCG requirements for the OUPV license include: U.S. citizenship; age - at least 19 years old; and one year of documented time on the water.

huntindog
03-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Charter Boat Captain - OUPV - "SIX-PACK"
Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels

This 62-hour course prepares students for their OUPV license - commonly called a six-pack or charter captain's license. The license is required by those operating vessels that carry no more than six passengers for hire. USCG requirements for the OUPV license include: U.S. citizenship; age - at least 19 years old; and one year of documented time on the water.

is this only in certain waters? Is this only for boats under power...does every guide rowing a drift boat need this? still confused

Mike McKenzie
03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
is this only in certain waters? Is this only for boats under power...does every guide rowing a drift boat need this? still confused

First, Drift boaters don't need a C.G. license.The facts are that anyone taking passengers for hire in any powered vessel on any navagable rivers, (like the Sac., The Feather, the American or any of the mainstem rivers) bays or near coastal waters, in the U.S. is required by federal law to have a Coast Guard License. Period. No exceptions. For the most part what one needs is an "Operator of an Uninspected Passenger Vessel" license commonly referred to as a "6-pack" License, this license is good for all inland waters in the US with the exception on the Great Lakes, for that you need a Great Lakes license.

The Coast Guard does make provisions for a special "Limited O.U.P.V." license for the the Rivers like I mentioned above. The limited license is restricted to certain waters such as the Sacramento above the city of Sacramento, the American Below Nimbus, the Feather, etc. For more information check with the U.S.C.G. here:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/RECs/oak.asp
Phone them here: 510-637-1124

Personally I could care less if someone is licensed or not. I was fully licensed when I was guiding on the Bay and the Delta because of the risks involved with not being licensed. If a person is guiding without the proper C.G. license they risk everything they own and some serious prison time, if they are involved in any accident and someone is injured or worse, killed, regardless of fault while taking any passenger for hire in their vessel. Believe me when I say that Maritime Law is a whole other world that you don't want to mess with! One other thing is that anyone guiding without the proper license, in case of an accident, might suddenly find out the insurance is void!

Mike

KD
03-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Mike has it right. There is no "grey" area about it. double period.

One thing is certain, when the USCG boards your vessel they won't be asking for a Ca. guides license!

mikel
03-19-2010, 01:19 PM
So...the growing number of drift boat guides running small OB motors on the L Sac (Redding to Red Bluff) need a 6 pack license, or is that part of the river exempt?

Thanks! -Mike

Mike McKenzie
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Mike,

I'm not sure about whether or not there is a lower limit on Horsepower or not. Knowing the federal government I doubt it. It might be possible that the regs don't apply above the Red bluff Diversion Dam, again, I'm not sure. It would be best to call the Coast Guard and find out for sure... 510-637-1124....or.....get those arms in shape and start rowing again! :D:D

Bob Laskodi
03-19-2010, 02:22 PM
There is no horsepower requirement. If your vessel is powered by a motor, you need a USCG license on ANY declared US navigable waterway, if you are a guide for hire using a powered boat. But, the loophole is that USCG has enforcement authority only on tidal influenced rivers, so in actual practice on rivers in CA, it only affects inland waters such as the Delta.

Mike McKenzie
03-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Bob,

Where did you get that info?? I have never heard anything but what I stated above from the Coast Guard. The CFR's say nothing about a "tidal waters" deliniation, in fact they speak specifically about "inland waters"...
Mike

Bob Laskodi
03-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Mike, I'm not sure I understand your question, but here it goes. When I contacted a USCG person about licensing requirements for fishing guides I was told, "fishing guides operating a powered boat are required to have an appropriate USCG license on US navigable waters". I further inquired specifically about drift boats/small boats on rivers operating a small auxiliary motor on occasion, and was told "if it's a navigable river (I assumed he meant listed on the Corps of Engineers list) that includes drift boats with a small motor used occasionally no matter what the horsepower rating". Amongst other discussions, I also asked why so few fishing guides have USCG licenses and he replied "it's not a very well known rule" and also stated that the USCG is the only authority he knows of that enforces USCG licensing and that the USCG has no enforcement presence on CA rivers except those that are under tidal influence. I can only add that over my past 50 years, I have only seen USCG enforcement vessels on ocean or tidal waters (including rivers in the Delta), and have never seen one on any other navigable river in this state. In addition, I have never been asked by any law enforcement personnel (of any type) for a USCG license, but I have been asked a few times by law enforcement personnel for a CA DFG guides license. YMMV, as usual.

malbers
03-19-2010, 11:29 PM
A buddy and I were out fishing, and having a lively discussion about the entire banter that took place before it was gone off the message board. What we decided is that if you are really against killing a striper, trout, sailfish, etc. then you should really change you fishing tactics altogether.

There is always the chance that you will hook a fish in a way that makes it un-releaseable, (deep in the gills, deep eyeball, you get the idea). We came up with this: Tie or buy you favorite fly at Kiene's and grap your plyers (My favorite is the A.s.s. fly) an not just pinch the barb, but clip the hook off just past the shank. This way there is no chance that you will inadvertantely injure or mame a fish that may not survive. This is much more sporting don't you think? You will get the nice grab and you will know, "I had that fish" isn't that what it is all about anyway? Every now and again you might get a little more action, but that fish will swim away healthy every time.

I will listen to all opinions, but don't force it down anybody's throat or be petty. Its not necessary.

ENJOY NATURE!!!!!

Darian
03-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Interesting point. For those who really are into "the grab", your idea makes a lot of sense. :nod:

In fact, many times I've done something similar while fishing for Bluegill when they're on the spawning beds and I don't want to relocate 'em. Unfortunately, if you drag a bunch of vulnerable Bluegill off their nest, they may not be able to get back in time to protect it. 8-) I don't often fish for black Bass during the spawn (....and don't condemn anyone who does) but I suppose the same would apply to them. Stripers being broadcast spawners don't have the same problem. :smile:

I really like to feel the pull of a strong fish during the fight. I haven't had the misfortune of killing too many fish by injuring one. Those fish that have been fatally injured and legal to take are kept for the table. :D

Mike McKenzie
03-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Mike, I'm not sure I understand your question, but here it goes. When I contacted a USCG person about licensing requirements for fishing guides I was told, "fishing guides operating a powered boat are required to have an appropriate USCG license on US navigable waters".
I further inquired specifically about drift boats/small boats on rivers operating a small auxiliary motor on occasion, and was told "if it's a navigable river (I assumed he meant listed on the Corps of Engineers list) that includes drift boats with a small motor used occasionally no matter what the horsepower rating". Amongst other discussions, I also asked why so few fishing guides have USCG licenses and he replied "it's not a very well known rule" and also stated that the USCG is the only authority he knows of that enforces USCG licensing and that the USCG has no enforcement presence on CA rivers except those that are under tidal influence.

Bob,
You basically confirmed what I stated above. Regardless of whether or not there is an "enforcement presence" the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR'S) has to be obeyed just like any other law. It's like sayin' because there's no Cop around, it's OK to run a red light or a stop sign. If you're operating a vessel outside of the law and have an accident as I said previously, you are in serious trouble. Can anyone guarantee they won't be involved an accident on any given day? Absolutely not. To me it's easier to comply with the law than assume the risk and that is all I was saying.

As far as other law enforcement agencies go, I have personal experience with that....Up until 2002 you used to have to register ($200.00 a year for 6-pack boats) and display DFG "Guide Boat numbers" on your vessel. Those numbers on your boat would draw attention. I have had San Joaquin and Contra Costa County Sheriffs ask me if I had a USCG license. That requirement went away in 2002 as part of the negotiations with DFG to institute the Bay Delta Stamp

Mike

Bob Laskodi
03-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Mike, just to be clear, I am in no way, shape, or form, sticking up for, or justifying for, fishing guides using powered boats that are not USCG licensed. If you are a fishing guide taking clients out for pay, and operating a powered boat on any US navigable waterway, you need the appropriate USCG license, period. I am just reporting my conversations and experiences. I do NOT ever hire any guide operating a powered boat that does not have the appropriate licenses, period.

Charlie Bisharat
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Bob,

You make a good point and I am totally amazed that others don't subscribe to the same code of ethics.

I would have a tough time launching my boat with clients jumping aboard knowing that I was in violation of the law every single morning. Perhaps I am strange, but the guilt would eat me alive.

I want to share something with all of you. I am uneasy with the maner in which these last few threads have gone. I think it is easy for internet folks to have their written words overreacted to , misinterpreted etc. without the use of body language and facial expressions to gauge the "temperature" of someones statement.I feel differently about a one on one PM.

Having said that, I would hope that all of us might reread the post several times to be certain it does not have hidden teeth. I gage my own posts by this method. Would I say what I have written if I were staring the other person in the face.If I can answer yes to that question, the "submit reply" button gets hit.

Additionally, I think Mr Kiene desrves a lot more respect than he has gotten for providing us a FREE forum on which to share our thoughts and experiences.

Cheers , and good fishing to all.