PDA

View Full Version : Lots of twisting up in your running line?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
This post could go under the "Striper", "Bass & Panfish" or "Saltwater" categories.

Maybe it could be in the "Steelhead" and "Stillwater" categories too?

Any time you are casting and stripping all day long this can be an issue.

We had it to some degree in our recent trip to the Amazon for Peacock Bass.

People have been complaining of their running line getting all twisted up thinking it is something to do with the fly line they are using.

Actually it is either your casting style, the flies you are using or the fact that you have too much extra running line laying in the boat.

We had a customer show us a trick recently of how to back spin this twist out of your line after it starts to happen.

99% of the time lines do not come with twist in them from the factory..........

Come into the shop if you want to talk more about this and see what I am trying to explain here with mere words.

Tracy Chimenti
03-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey Bill-- Before my first cast, i usually get out on the shore, hook the fly to the bow or stump, and giver her a real good stretch. Last week I paid out about 100-feet of head and running line and trolled it at marlin speed. it helped. But I would like to see how this works, so i will come down and check it out.

Tracy

Charlie Gonzales
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I use John Quigley's twisted leaders with the tippet swivel to help minimize this.

lee s.
03-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Bill,
Sooo right. MOST usually twisting comes from what you say. And very occasionally from the fly....though the fly USUALLY twists my leader mostly.
I do have ONE clear intermediate shooting head that twists every running line I use, from amnesia to Rio. In less than 30 minutes I'll be cussing that head and usually only clear the running line once before removing the head. Of course being EYEtalian and all, we can never remember which one until...... And maybe THIS time....... And anybody wanna CHEEP used head when we find it yet again! :-)
.....lee s.

B Kane
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM
To untwist running line, make your cast then place the butt of the rod in the palm of one hand and encircle the rod with your thumb and forefinger just below the first stripping guide with the other hand. Now swing the reel and rod toward or away from your body in the appropriate direction to counteract the twist in the line. This had worked for me for the last 25 years. Good luck

Mike McKenzie
03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Aside from stripping off the reel only what running line you're usin' (as mentioned above) Don't roll cast the head up to the surface...Strip in a little bit of the head then make a false cast and send it out back fishin' again. End of twisted running line problems.

Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I use John Quigley's twisted leaders with the tippet swivel to help minimize this.

Charlie,

Adding a small swivel can be a very good idea.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2010, 10:02 PM
To untwist running line, make your cast then place the butt of the rod in the palm of one hand and encircle the rod with your thumb and forefinger just below the first stripping guide with the other hand. Now swing the reel and rod toward or away from your body in the appropriate direction to counteract the twist in the line. This had worked for me for the last 25 years. Good luck

That is what someone recently showed one of our staff......thanks.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-28-2010, 08:21 AM

That is what someone recently showed one of our staff......thanks.

Yep... had a favorite fishin' buddy show us this one as well a couple years ago, fishin' for stripes in the delta... Works every time!

Maybe we have the same friends? LOL. :lol: