PDA

View Full Version : yuba

medfly
03-16-2010, 09:00 PM
hit the lower yuba today, both above and below the bridge. 10am to 4pm. weather was great, fishing not so much. alot of PMDs on the water 12-2, saw a few risers, not much surface activity. saw very few skwalas and no caddis. action pretty much died around 3. i broke a cardinal rule of mine and left the water before sundown. no fish.

the yuba has kicked my ass this year, usually its my go to place. its been frustrating.

i have a question for all, this year i am having some weird tippet issues. sometimes they are getting all wound up on themself. its not a wind knot, cause i can just pull it apart, it is becoming spun around itself, the best way to explain it is that if you hold two ends of the tippet and give it slack, then it winds up and forms a braid. this is happening on some of my casts and i can see it sitting on the water like that. not sure if its a tippet issue (cant be, these tippets are brand new) or casting issue (seems weird cause its not a wind knot), anyone have this problem in the past?

DV8
03-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I was below the bridge, up from Hamond from 10:30 to 7. Saw two rises the entire day. Not many bugs, a few caddis, some Skwala's (didn't see any on the water) Pmds.Skunk. Yeah, major ass kicking so far.
I've caught more chrome on the American than trout on the Yuba in the last 5 mo. Hell of a nice day though.

Charlie Gonzales
03-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey Medfly, you wouldnt happen to be throwing a Skwalla dry when your getting your twist would you? Ther are a couple patterns out this year that have put major twist in the leaders. Im not sure if its the palmered hackle or something about the wing but they are horrible. I will be up there thursday and friday so I hope things pick up.

medfly
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
no, the twist seems to be happening on a number of different patterns, some big stimulators today and nymphs as well. just not sure whats causing it, i'd rather have knots, these twists kill me cause it leaves a memory in the tippet

flycast
03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Was out there also, exploring the Hammon Grove area....good wading opportunities at these flows (1200 cfs) and was able to cross in a couple of locations. There were fish rising below Hammon till 3:00 PM. Bugs were mostly brown duns, only saw a couple of Skwalas. Had two hookups on a Skwala imitation, didn't land either. The rises stopped abruptly around 3:00 PM, and it was dead the rest of the day. The Yuba kicks my butt more often than not, but the good days make it worth while, especially when those big 'bows fly out of the water.

Medfly, that's an interesting tippet twist issue...had twists throwing an indicator set-up with larger flies, and occasionally with a larger dry. What size tippet are you using?

medfly
03-17-2010, 07:52 AM
tippet was 5x. i am pretty sure i only had this issue with big dries and my dry dropper rig. strange, cause i have never really had this issue prior. seems to be my thing this year, no fish, poor casting, knots, twists, slips, wader leaks.

1flyfisher
03-17-2010, 10:35 AM
It's the fly doing that line twist. big dries do that if you are doing a lot of false casting. a sub surface line gets straightened out. a floater doesn't

stop casting and straighten out your leader from time to time.

tippet was 5x. i am pretty sure i only had this issue with big dries and my dry dropper rig. strange, cause i have never really had this issue prior. seems to be my thing this year, no fish, poor casting, knots, twists, slips, wader leaks.

flycast
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
That's good advice...the fly is "windmilling" as it's going through the air. A leader straightener like this should help with the tippet memory issues.

rhehr
03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm from Kansas and going to fish the Lower Yuba the end next week and plan to wade close to the hwy 20 bridge.

Any suggestions or advise?

thekid
03-19-2010, 07:37 AM
probably should try what everyone else does and throw the bigest ball of yarn you got to rising fish. ballons work to it looks like.

the kid

loganmike
03-19-2010, 08:09 AM
probably should try what everyone else does and throw the bigest ball of yarn you got to rising fish. ballons work to it looks like.

the kid

troll. go dig a hole and bury yourself.

rhehr
03-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks - if I fall in or catch something I'll let you know!

I'm sure it will be much nicer there than it been on the White River in Ark this winter

medfly
03-19-2010, 08:57 AM
ha, damn, say what you want but thekid has some balls. i enjoy it when things are stirred up a bit, of course, on this forum that usually means the thread being deleted. anyways, cocky or not, thekid is passionate about fishing. if you ever want to go out, let me know

Jgoding
03-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey Med,

That does sound like the fly is spinning at some point. Palmered hackle creates a windmill effect if you just palmer it one direction. If you palmer the hackle down the fly then back up that solves the problem but you have to adjust your spacing to not over dress the fly.

medfly
03-20-2010, 12:57 AM
back on the yuba today, brought the two dogs, so only a bit of fishing. soooo many big march browns out, super frustrated that the top water wasnt boiling. still waiting for the yuba fish to look up this year, just havent seen the epic rises that i have seen in the past (didnt see a single one today during a great hatch). anyways, one hook up on a flashback PT, LDR for about 2 hrs of fishing. beautiful day. have never seen that many boats on the yuba, counted 12 including drift boats and pontoons.

thekid
03-20-2010, 08:04 AM
thats a few too many boats for me. Take a day without waders and walk for an hour above the 20 bridge. You wont see 1 boat. I dont wear waders because of how hot it is right now. water feels great. The water aroung the UC davis area is great water if that drake hatch gets going. doesnt happen to often though. When the skwala hatch was going this water was tuff to beat. Let the indicator guys have the lower section. It seems that the fish down their have really wised up if u want to catch them on top. better luck next time.

thekid

Randy B
03-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Anyone have a recent report for the Yuba?