PDA

View Full Version : April on the Lower Sacramento River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2010, 08:04 AM
I think this is one of the biggest months on the Lower Sac although people fish it year round now in almost any flow.

April is when the big caddis hatch is in full swing.

It is pretty hot in mid-summer and most go up to higher elevations at this time but fall, winter and spring is a very popular timing.

With relatively low flows this spring the river should be real good.

Lots of 15 to 20 inch wild Rainbow trout are caught in this river.

What is your favorite month on the Lower Sac?

RJSFLYTRIP
03-16-2010, 08:47 AM
My absolute favorite month is March. Lots of caddis and grabby fish. But the best part is the crowds aren't there yet.

esummers
03-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey RJ,

Just wondering if you had any more deals going in March on the lower Sac?

Thanks

Eric

RJSFLYTRIP
03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Eric I have sent a PM to you.

Craig Nielsen
03-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Bill:
Spring may be the best season to enjoy the Lower Sac for trophy 'bows. I was on the Lower Sac again yesterday on a group trip and it was magical. Fished very good, some wind midday to contend with that slowed the bite a bit. Before and afterward was superb. Some mayflies, BWO's early and late along with some PMD's and March Browns with the spring caddis midday. A few fish on rubberlegs also. Enjoyed seeing a Bald Eagle dive and catch a fish, take it back to the nest and share, along with Herons, Egrets, Ducks, Geese, Beaver and a Big Foot. Did I mention that other than a little wind the weather was perfect!
(OK I admit it, we didn't see one of those things :>)

Seamus
03-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Craig's report is right on. I was out yesterday and today and the lower sac fished great.The wind kicked up this afternoon from the south making down river progess difficult as well as your nymph presentation. Some other lower sac news- the ACID canal dam is being put in so expext the flows to increase soon, also the hiway 44 bridge work is done. cal trans is taking out the last construction deck so passage under hiway 44 this summer will be no problem. cal-trans dropped an excavator in the river this afternnon it was wild watching them try and pull it out. I have some great pictures of it if I can figure out how to post them I will.

Fish on,
Shannon

ktrout
03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Any suggestions on the best stretch to float this time of year? For a full day, with some spots to get out and wade? Cant wait to get out there. Thanks!

Craig Nielsen
03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
ktrout:

I have always preferred the upper drifts on the river, mostly because there is overall a greater concentration of productive water and a greater number of trophy fish. This time of year however I fish more frequently downstream.

There are fewer spawning areas for Rainbows in the lower drifts (below Anderson Park) which occurs this time of year. Please avoid fishing over trout that are concentrated in gravel areas, particularly obvious shallow spawning areas. Best to stick to the deeper runs and feeding areas to preserve and protect this incredible trophy Rainbow fishery.

Also at these low flows, particularly if you plan to wade (which I don't recommend if you have a boat) short drifts are best advised. Six to eight miles is plenty. Most fish are concentrated in small pods and when your find them you will want to row back up and drift through again.

Finally BEWARE! The Cypress Street bridge passage is pretty dicey at these exceptionally low flows, enough so that several guides who are very experienced and know it well are avoiding it. Much more peace of mind and safer to start at Bonneview and fish downstream, particularly if you are less experienced in technical water.

I hope this helps. Of course, feel free to ring me for more details or guide service. Happy to try to point you in a direction you might most enjoy in either case.

ktrout
03-26-2010, 08:54 AM
I appreciate the help.

Craig Nielsen
03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Wishing you tight lines and a singing reel. I hope to see you soon. Do let us know how your trip goes!

ktrout
03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Would you suggest Bonnyview or Anderson Park to Balls Ferry for a full day float? Just not sure how long it takes. No motor, just oaring it. Thanks again!

wjorg
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I have had some of the greatest fun on the LSac on June evenings.

Ever see a trout jump on a fly? Literally jump on it!

Craig Nielsen
03-30-2010, 10:31 PM
ktrout:

Bonnieview to Anderson has fished exceptionally well for me this week. I hope to post some pics and a report in the next day or two. It should continue to fish well provided storms do not muddy the river too much. Drifting from Bonnie to Balls is possible but will make for a very long day.

If you do a shorter drift plan on rowing back upstream for a couple passes where & when you find a pod of feeders. Try to avoid leaving fish to find fish. I also found that bugs would change from run to run. Caddis in one run, more mayflies in the following run, next run down back to caddis.

I hope this helps. Again, do let us know how it goes! Hope you find lots of fish and big 'uns too!

JJ
04-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I made it out on the Lower Sac with Darrin Deel last Friday between the bad weather days.
We had a great day on the river with perfect weather and cooperative fish. We started off drifting in the Red Bluff area and finished the day up above the Sundial Bridge. We only saw one other boat on the lower part of the river and Darrin put us on fish in both sections.

ktrout
04-02-2010, 09:53 AM
We floated Bonnie to Anderson and had a nice day. We saw a few fish on the rubber legs, and lots of risers. Good hatches in the afternoon too, whenever the sun peaked out. Thanks for all the help!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
A thing to remember about the this great Lower Sac fisheries is this is all wild trout that can run very large too.

Plus it is almost a year round fishery.

And it's pretty close for most that live in Nor Cal.

I would get a day with a good drift boat guide the first time you go to get some good ideas about the river.