PDA

View Full Version : Upper Klamath River timing...........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-15-2010, 11:28 PM
From Iron Gate Dam downstream to Interstate 5 is a stretch of the Klamath River that has become very popular in the past 10 years or so.

It is a like many tail water fisheries and is a Steelhead fishery too that is very close to Sacramento and the Bay Area for fly fishers.

In my recent visit with top Nor Cal guide Craig Nielsen I learned that there is a time when they do not guide that stretch due to green algae that comes from the shallow lakes above which is toxic to all life forms.

Craig says this time is roughly July 4th to mid-October.

http://www.shastatrout.com/

Darian
03-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Kinda makes you wonder what'll happen if the dams are removed and all of that algae flows down river in high volumes.... :confused:

shawn kempkes
03-16-2010, 10:10 AM
That toxic sludge is created by the dams. The algae is the reason they couldn't get the water quality certification for the projects.

Darian
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Soooo Shawn,.... Nice rant. What's your answer to my question or maybe there isn't one :question: :confused: :confused:

huntindog
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Soooo Shawn,.... Nice rant. What's your answer to my question or maybe there isn't one :question: :confused: :confused:
without the dams there will not be any of the algae..the algae grows in the lakes...remove the dams and the algae does not exist...this isn't that complicated

Darian
03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
OK huntindog,.... Let's think about what it takes to start removing a dam for a minute:

Water has to be released over time to prevent downstream flooding.

Controlled releases must be done in dry season to be safe.

Reservoir must be brought to minimum pool or drained before any demolition can be started.

So, the algae in the first lake or reservoir will likely be released into the river downstream from the dam as a part of the release. That takes care of one dam and is completed one time. Now, repeat that 3 more times as there're supposedly 4 dams to be removed. That sounds a bit more complex than the way you characterized it. There will be some amount of toxic algae released into the river and will have some potential but unquantified impact on downstream fish and wildlife, at this point.

So, does anybody have an idea of what if anything is going to be done to deal with this potential problem.... :question: (not an unreasonable question).

Cal
03-17-2010, 05:47 AM
The toxic algae needs warm water to survive. It dies off in the winter, so you have November through June to release water from the dams. The algae will not grow in cold water that will flow year round when the dams are removed.

There are many strategies for removing dams with problems such as this. On the Carmel River they are decommissioning a completely silted in dam by leaving it in place and digging a new river channel to by-pass it completely.

So, don't despair.

Darian
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Well,.... Green algae already gets into the river during parts of the year (mentioned by Bill K.) and I believe I mentioned that release of the water from these dams may not be possible during the rainy season (November thru June). :-| Release of a large volume of water into the river when instream flows are already high could definitely flood downstream activities and/or communities. That leaves a limited window of opportunity to draw down for removal of the dams. :-|

I suppose release could occur late in the rainy period during a dry year.... but that condition isn't necessarily predictable for that area. :confused:

Wonder if there's a chemical treatment available that would have minimal environmental impact :?: I mention this as I recall reading about a chemical treatment of reservoirs in the SoCal area when I was young called "bluestoning". The active chemical was a copper based compound. Now, I'm sure that process isn't acceptable today but maybe there's something out there that could eliminate or reduce the amount of algae for safe release of the water during the summer.... :-k

Well,.... All of this is just speculation. Undoubtedly there's a bunch of people up there who know what they're doing. So, I guess we wait and see what happens.... :)

Craig Nielsen
03-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Bill:
It was great visiting with you, thanks for taking the time, as usual I learned much. You are a wise man. I hope you can make it up for a visit this season. Thanks again.

While catch and release angling on the Klamath cannot be practiced in the summer months due to water temps and health risks due to the algae, fishing the remainder of the year is superb.

We currently still have fresh steelhead willing to grab a fly particularly on the swing! Last season the action lasted through April. Later this spring we will have a remarkable Salmonfly hatch for trout and juvenile steelhead.

Fall and winter have probably the strongest runs of wild Steelhead in the state. The lead article in the current California Fly Fisher is on Klamath Winter run Steelhead, expect to see something about the spring Salmonfly hatch soon! Feel free to drop a line for details.

lynnwhite44
03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey Craig what is the timing of the salmonfly hatch and what stretches of river are best? I realize that the timing probably varies year to year but on average when can we expect to these giant flies on the water. I assume that the salmon fly hatch on the Klamath is similar to other streams in that the hatch progresses upstream.

I've been wanting to fish this hatch fo the last few years but not sure about the timing.

Thanks

Lynn

Craig Nielsen
03-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Lynn:

If you figure out the timing of these bugs do let me know. I have been chasing them around the west for over forty years now :>)

More seriously, the hatch on the Klamath starts sometime in May and progresses up river ending sometime in June. I have had success as far downriver as Happy Camp. On the upper river where I have fished the hatch for decades, we can sometimes have good fishing through the Fourth of July weekend.

Do be aware of water temps on the Klamath and please bring a thermometer. Last season I cancelled the last two weeks in June when water temps moved into the upper sixties. At these high temps it is not safe to catch and release wild rainbows and steelhead, even if they appear to swim away unharmed.

Also note that the dry fly fishing at the beginning of the hatch when the bugs appear to be everywhere tends to be poor (though nymphing can be exceptional) Later when the bugs return to the river to drink, egg lay, or get blown into the river by wind, the fish find them and the feast begins.

I hope this helps you plan your trip. If you'd care for more details or would enjoy guide service, please give a ring.

lynnwhite44
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks Craig.

Looks like the end of May would be a good time to catch the Salmon fly hatch.

Craig Nielsen
03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Lynn:
The end of May on the Upper Klamath can be silly good, but can also be a bust for dry flies if you happen to be too early. June is more reliable but you are also less likely to experience the feast at it's peak.
Weather can also be a factor. Warm weather with wind to blow bugs onto the water is usually the most productive. Wet cold days find the bugs holding tight in cover were they become less vulnerable.
So...Wish for cool drippy weather early this May (great for mayfly hatches on the McCloud & Upper Sac) followed by a sunny & warm windy spell. Hope to see you on the Klamath then!