PDA

View Full Version : Sushi rolls?

ted1
03-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Has anyone ever tried making sushi rolls? I've heard of alot of serviche coming from guys in baja, but anybody experiment with rolls? Tuna? Trout? Striper? (I may be heading out to new hogan soon, and plan to catch some 10 lber's)

Tony Buzolich
03-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Man do I love sushi but I don't know if I'd ever make my own using fresh fish. I have actually made California rolls with avacado and shrimp and wrapped them in the sea-weed stuff.

What you have to be careful of is parasites in the flesh of any fish and without cooking it the best way is to freeze it before preparing anything.

Now, open water yellowfin I have no hesitation about and the La Concha does a fine job of preparing it for next to nothing

Jay Murakoshi
03-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I make sushi rolls all the time. Some are spicy tuna, big maki rolls, a few tuna rolls.
Being an asian, I use to make all the traditional dishes and sushi for new years. Then it got to be too much work, cooking at least three days a head of time and then making sushi rolls the night before. We had open house on New Year's day, even sent out invitations. We usually had 100+ people stop by to visit and have a bite to eat.
My wife had the bright idea that we should do it again... Yeah right

Sushi is the easiest thing to make.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Tony, I don't want to wreck your party but....... yeah, I have seen a few in the fillets. If I plan on eating raw fish, especially tuna I want it frozen first. When I use to salmon fish in the Monterey bay, I would steak and fillet salmon. One day as a few fillets laid there, my wife said "what the heck is that". When i picked up this white thing, it was a parasite around 18". Heck, I froze the fish and ate it the next day, my wife - well she didn't eat salmon for a couple years. My neighbors loved me..

I don't know if they will hurt you but I don't like the thought of this parasite crawling and growing inside me

Jay

ted1
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I think I'll freeze and inspect it beforehand.

mems
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Aloha, we have sushi dinners about once a month. I have raw ahi, mahi and ono all the time. I hate frozen ahi. We get some fish, and nori and have at it. We make all kinds of rolls and nagiri. I make a big bowl of poke and some sashimi and get some cold sake and have a blast. I would not eat raw trout or salmon, tape worms are pretty nasty. I don't like raw reef fish like barracuda, papio, and amberjack. We have cigutera toxin and that is pretty nasty stuff as well. Next time we have a sushi nite I will take some pictures and post them. It is way cheaper than going out for sushi, even though we do have some places here that are very reasonable.
And Tony you are correct you can't beat the dinners at the hotel La Concha, Luke and I invited the entire staff to eat with us each nite, it was awesome. I hope I can get back down there soon. If you guys stop by out here I will have you all over for dinner, Mems.

Jay Murakoshi
03-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Mems,

The last time I had poke... back in the early 60's or late 50's. With the salmon, I use to make the paste and let it set for 6 days with the rock on top. When cured, wash off the paste, broil - just a little and eat it with hot rice.
Since my rice eating days are limited or through, it's tough eating fish with out rice. I think wahoo is the best eating fish that swims out there. My main meals are fresh grilled dorado tacos on maise tortilla's.

You and Luke have to make a return trip and I will schedule my time so we can fish together
I've got a bunch of good groups coming this year. The dorado are still hanging around and the yellow tails have started showing up.. Small ones, in the 30lb range

jay

Ming M
03-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Hey Jay you gotta show me how to make some.....Raw fish and rice YUM.....Ming

Scott V
03-10-2010, 08:35 AM
If I could afford it, I would eat sushi every day. I love sushi, especially albacore. Octopus is really good as well.