PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Reports?

lynnwhite44
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Anyone fish the Lower Sac lately? I'm headin up this weekend and the river looks like it is in good shape all the way down to Bend. What flies have been hot. I always tie on a large brown or black rubber legs. Works great as a weight(never have to use split shot) and they catch fish too. What else should I use, green caddis pupae, anything else?

Thanks

Notch
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
I think the water is too dirty coming out of Shasta. My buddy works on the river and said the vis. was about 1ft. last week in Redding. Maybe things have changed over the weekend? I'd call the fly shop just to make sure.

I fished the lower river below Red Bluff yesterday and the water was definitely off color, only about 6" of visibility. I was fishing where a trib. came in that was running clear, giving me a small piece of clean water to work with. I only fished for 15 minutes before I was pummeled by a hail storm, but I did land one 14"er on a rubber-leg stone. Hope this helps.

Seamus
03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Just came from the river at the posse grounds it is clearing up 3 feet + of visibility as of 9am this morning. As long as no major storms hit it should be good this weekend. I was out on the upper river on Saturday and conditions were poor less than 1 foot visibility, but there was a great caddis hatch between 2pm and 4pm. I am out tomorrow I will try to post a report when I get home.

As for bugs try the usual suspects for this time of year- yellow micro spawn, prince nymph, birds nest, micro may's and olive pupa.

see you on the river

lynnwhite44
03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey Seamus hows the water up there? I just looked at CDEC and saw that the water coming out of Keswick and the water all the way down at Bend have the same turbity, right around 5.00. It looks like the storm tomorrow may blow out the river again by saturday. May have to go float the trinity.

Seamus
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
The lower Sac was in great shape yesterday. The storm tomorrow may dirty it back up it all depends on how much rain falls in the foothills above Keswick. The upper Klamath may be a better bet for steelhead. Check your PM .

Good luck wherever you end up