PDA

View Full Version : 3 Years of Waiting

Chris Laskodi
03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I've fished the San Lorenzo River in the Santa Cruz Mountains off and on the past three years. I finally landed my first adult on the river Saturday night. I probably averaged at least 5 trips/year during steelhead season, although this season I only managed to get out there three times.

I decided to make a run Saturday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowds. The water was the highest I had ever fished it ~350 cfs. Water color was perfect with about 2-2.5 feet of visibility. I think the high water levels scared off a bunch of people but it actually made fly fishing easier since the traditional holes were more like runs. I walked about a mile in from where I parked my car at a popular hole. It looked great but no one was home.

With these high water levels, swinging flies is quite possible, the normal holes that were usually 50 feet long were now runs that were 50 yards long, perfect for swinging. Unfortunately didn't have any of my versileaders or a line that could turn over a big fly so I stuck with the indicator.

I made my way downstream noting the areas that I normally fish were ripping with flow 3 times what I normally fish. I made my way to one of the most popular holes on the river, if not the most popular. I started my way at the top and worked my way down. I got down to where the rocks dumped into a deep hole and this would have been the end of the line. I fished this hard since I knew if there was a fish in the river it would be here.

I finally got a good drift along the far seam and my indicator slowly dipped about 50 feet below me. I set the hook and a there was a huge swoosh in the water. After being skunked so many times on the river I was sort of in denial of an actual adult fish hitting my offering. I knew what it was but I still didn't believe it. I kept on saying it was a smolt but my 7 wt was bent way too much for that.

The fish didn't really fight much at first. It acted like it didn't even know it was hooked. I got it almost to the leader when all hell broke loose. The fish saw me and made a run downstream almost into the rapids below. I put the brakes on figuring I'd either break it off or stop it. Well in case you were wondering, I stopped it. But once I did that it zoomed upstream jumping into an overhanging tree upstream of me. I thought for sure that I had lost the fish due to the huge belly in the line from the fish. It was awesome seeing my line and rod bent 45 degrees downstream and the fish jumping 45 degrees upstream of me.

That was the biggest scare of the fight. The fight then turned into a tug of war with the fish making a few more runs towards the rapids but I stopped it each time. I slowly brought the fish in eventually it turned on its side, meaning it was done. I now had another problem. The rock I was standing on where I hooked, fought, and then had to land the fish was on the edge of a huge hole with nowhere to go. It probably took me 5 or 6 tries to slide the fish into an area where I could tail it.

I finally put my hand around its tail and saw my rig firmly embedded in the top jaw of the fish. It looked to be in the bony part of the mouth, that fish wasn't going anywhere with that hookset. After taking a few pictures I let the chrome wild hen go. She was right around 27" and about 7 or 8 pounds. A perfect fish to end my 3 year drought.

Apologies for the pictures again, taken with my cell phone.

davkrat
03-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Awesome! That's a toad. Sounds like you earned it too.

k.hanley
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Congrats Chris! Your dedication was rewarded with a beautiful catch. Sweet.
Cheers, Ken

marcshaw
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I live on the river and this last weekend was the best of the season. You were lucky you went Sat. as there were big crowds on Sunday.

robdog
03-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Great story. I am glad that your persistence paid off. BTW, which type of fly did you use???

jturner
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
:eek:Nice Fish,,,,It is worth the wait, I was out sunday morning and saw one guy hook 4 fish in one slot...I like the higher water too....To bad we don't have a couple more weeks of the season..

mikel
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Well done! You are now 1 fish ahead of most guys who fish the SLR.=D>=D>=D> Good going...-mike

Chris Laskodi
03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wish I could have fished both days since it looked like it was going to be epic. Sent a buddy on Sunday to the same spot and he hooked a fish about the same size within 20 feet of mine.

Fish was caught on an egg pattern. More specifically a steelhead-sized bead.

wjorg
03-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Bobber and bead?

Awww : (

....only kidding. Ernie uses luers...

OceanSunfish
03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Bobber and bead?

Awww : (

....only kidding. Ernie uses luers...

Remembering back 30 years..... The effectual outfit on the SLR was a Fenwick Glass fly rod and a Plueger Medalist filled with mono while swinging a silver spin/glo or plunking a flat fish.

I'm talking about fishing the "gorge" of course. Oh, and nobody made clothing warm and dry enough 30 years ago for me to be comfortable standing in that gorge. <grin> Today, there are all kinds of neat lightweight cold weather outfits that would do the trick.

Beautiful steelhead, by the way. Congratulations. That is a classic SLR fresh run steelhead.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
If and when I retire I would like to spend a some time there in the winter to try to catch a wild fish like that.

I spent lots of my summers as a youngster in Santa Cruz because we have relatives there.

Only fished the river once for Silver Salmon in ~1975 at maybe Thanksgiving? too may people and too few fish. I think it was the end of the Silver Salmon fishing that I saw.

50 years ago there were Steelhead in many small coastal rivers all the way to southern Cal.

I met people years ago who migrated to Sacramento from places to the south of us and they talked about doing that fishing on small brushy coastal creeks back in the day.

Cruzin4Metalheads
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Chris,

Congrats on the first chromer out of the San Lorenzo! Spent many a years chasing chrome in that river and know how difficult the first one is. Only went a few times this year and still managed some pretty good success. Have to pay your dues and learn the river, but it pays off when you get into a hot fish like that! Nice Fish!!!

Now you just need to get into one on the Big Sur and Carmel and the Big Three Hat Trick will be complete!

Ned Morris
03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Nice fish! The SLR is a tough one so you should be proud. Managed only 4 fish in my lifetime out of there with many years put in.

bclem81
03-10-2010, 05:54 PM
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.........Absolutely Beautiful

inclinejj
03-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Brings back good memories of my youth fishing a small stream just like this!!!

Good job!!!

Cal
03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Congrats Chris. Much tougher fishing than when I was your age. Actually caught my first steelhead ever on the SLR in 1966. They used to dredge the estuary down by the mouth and there would always be a line-up of guys throwing shooting heads. Got my first on type 2 shooting head, flat mono running line, Fenwick fiberglass rod with a Pflueger Medalist reel and a Silver Hilton. Yeah, and you could always see them rolling on the surface.

Have a high school buddy who lives on the river now. Seems the bulk of the steelhead run that passes through his property arrives after the season closes. Maybe that is the key to maintaining a remnant population. Fun to watch them snatch Balls of Fire or red wigglers out of the current.