PDA

View Full Version : One Surf Fly

PaulC
03-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey Guys,

Here's a nice outing that happens to be in my neck of the woods this spring.
The location is a short drive from Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu, and Los Angeles.
This will be the third event.
It usually draws a nice crowd of anglers and proceeds go to a local cause, in this case steelhead restoration.

It is a fun way to experience Southern California salt fly fishing, and there is usually a good amount of prizes in the raffle.
Quite a few of us tie a box of surf bugs each, and folks from the industry kick in prizes as well.

Here is a couple links with more information.
http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4696
http://onesurffly.com/

Timing for the event should be good for some potential wet wading, and possibly some corbina showing up.
I would still bring waders as it is the turning point in the spring, but this year is looking warmer earlier.
Here's hoping for toes in the sand....
Perch should be around in numbers assuming we have some nice structure to hold them.
Other species that could be out there in this stretch are halibut, leopard sharks, smooth-hound sharks, shovel nose guitarfish, bat rays, and yellow fin croaker.
Like with all surf fly fishing down here, you never know what will end up on the end of the line and the structure moves constantly.

Feel free to PM me if you need more information like restaurants, things to do non-flyfishing, etc. in the area.

-Paul

Darian
03-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Paul,.... This really sounds like fun and a good opportunity for me to fish while taking care of some personal business down there.... Is it customary to provide/tie a box of flies for the raffle :question: If so, count me in. Seeya down there. :D

PaulC
03-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey Darian,
If you would like to donate a box of flies, that would definitely be cool.
However, it is not a requirement by any means.
All you really have to bring is a fly to throw into the box for blind drawing.

Drop me a line if you are thinking of making it down.
I'd be more than happy to show you around.
Lots to see and plenty of good food to sample.
-Paul

Jay Murakoshi
03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Darian,

I know that you'll have a good time. I have fished that area a number of times but still no corbina to the hand :-(

you will definitely see a difference in the beach terrain from Southern to Northern Cal beaches. Actually, since you've grown up in Southern Cal i'm sure that you have seen the beaches many times.

I wish that I could participate but I will be fishing the beaches of Bahia de La Ventana on May 1st for Pez Gallo.

Good luck

Jay

Darian
03-08-2010, 02:43 PM
OK!!! Rub it in Jay.... :p By the time I get down there all of the Roosterzzzzz will have sore mouth from your flies.... :-P :-P

Darian
03-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Paul,.... In reading the one Surf Fly website, I noticed mention of a "checkerboard" fly pattern. Never heard of it before. :confused: Is there a pattern description somewhere :question:

Found some good mole crab patterns on Fliflicker.... :unibrow:

PaulC
03-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi Darian,

The checkerboard pattern is a variation of a surf rat.
A local guy Lee B. ties these and uses them with his clients.
I'd be surprised if he wasn't there at the event.
He's a real nice guy, and I'd be sure he'd tell you the details if you make it down.
I believe it uses a chenille in place of cactus chenille as its checkerboard feature.
I am not sure if Lee is using verigated chenille or using sharpies to color it in.
I've never seen him tie one, but have fished with him plenty of times and checked it out in the field.

I have been using the more typical surf rat pattern you can find on Gary's fly pattern section for years.
http://www.garybulla.com/surf_rat.htm
It is a great general attractor and extremely simple to tie.
When blind fishing in our surf, this style of fly works very well, is durable, and seems to work with just about everything.
I usually use all orange, red, or black in #6 with 5/32 dumbell eyes, large cactus chenille and a good amount of flash in the tail.

Hope that helps a bit.
-Paul