PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hair Diver

Hairstacker
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
After owning my camera for over a year and not seeing a macro selection on the menu, I assumed it didn't have one. Finally got around to opening the manual and it turns out it is a big, fat silver button right next to the zoom. :oops:

Well anyway, recent talk of spinning/stacking deer hair on another board prompted me to start my annual spring ritual of getting ready for the Delta topwater season. Usually takes a few to get the touch back after a year layoff but I thought this 1st one didn't turn out half bad so, with my newly discovered macro capability, I thought I'd share: :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF1187.jpg

Darian
03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
"....Half Bad." :?: :?: That's about as good as it gets!!! Potter would be happy with that one.... :nod: :nod:

k.hanley
03-07-2010, 01:54 PM
"...it turns out it is a big, fat silver button right next to the zoom."

Mike that is hilarious. You know better than to post that kind of comment on a public board. We got you now buddy!!!!!!!!

The fly looks like a beauty. You didn't lose any touch from a season off. That darn thing will fish for sure! Well done.
Cheers, Ken

jburge
03-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Mike,

Like Ken said, you're pretty much hosed by letting us in on the "big fat silver button." Who knows, you may even have a "super macro" setting by holding the button down an extra two seconds :-D

And holy cow! What a fly! An absolutely gorgeous tie :-D

John

jbird
03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Mike you are such a fly tying artist. If I ever make it down that way, Im gonna look you up and were gonna sit down together at your vise!

If you can tie like that, you can miss all the big silver buttons on earth and it dont matter. :-)

PaulC
03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Mike,
That is a beautiful bug.
I've always been stoked to see folks that can really spin tight bugs like that.
Like Jay, I'd love to sit down with you sometime at the vise.
-Paul

Jgoding
03-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Nice pic and a beautiful tie.... I wish I could find that touch sometime. I always chalk it up to the quality of the hair.... hahaha. I love the pattern you created on that fly, you need to do a step by step in my opinion on how that effect is created.

Hairstacker
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate all the kind and warm comments. :)

Steve Potter
03-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Hairstacker-

That will do the job on the water, nice work with the hair and the camera!!!

Steve

Fats
03-14-2010, 09:59 AM
That's a very nice bug! Hair bugs have a special place in my heart. I like how you backed the face of the collar up when you trimmed it.

All I'd change is to add some rubber legs to it!

Mike McKenzie
03-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Nice hairstackin' Hairstacker.....

Hey Fats,
Rubber legs add a lot of life to them bugs for sure...But they are a "pain in the you know what" to tie in...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/stripermike/Album%201/IMG_0002A.jpg

Mike

Fats
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Ahhh... the sweet frustration. I have a Dave Whitlock VHS tape where he shows a technique of taking a largish needle and using it to "Thread" the legs through the body of a hair bug. I've done it on a couple of flies and it has worked out ok.

Jimmy Nix was good at trimming up bugs without cutting off the rubber legs as well.

My wife swears by bugs with rubber legs. She things they pack "mojo" which bass find endearing!

Mike McKenzie
03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Ahhh... the sweet frustration. I have a Dave Whitlock VHS tape where he shows a technique of taking a largish needle and using it to "Thread" the legs through the body of a hair bug. I've done it on a couple of flies and it has worked out ok.

I never could do the needle thing....
I just tie 'em in with an overhand knot on the hook shank...When trimmin' the hair I'll pull 'em out of the way and hold 'em in place with a small alligator clip. Nothin' I hate worse than one little slip-up and a leg or two (or all) are gone!

Steve Potter
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Mike

You like this diver? I tie them the same way with a overhand knot. Have not lost much rubber to the fish but the razor has a few!!!!

See you on the delta
Steve

Mike McKenzie
03-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Steve,

Is that a "deep throat" diver? This year we've gotta' get together..You know where!!

Mike

EricO
03-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Hairstacker, your name fits to a tea. That is one nice tie. I'll take on
most difficult flies, but that one looks tough. And the tutorials I have
found are quite long, thus my apprehension.

What size hook did you use for that fly?

EO

Hairstacker
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Steve P., Fats, Mike M., EO, thanks, really appreciate the very kind comments!

Mike M. -- Outstanding fly you tied there! The eyes definitely give it a more complete appearance and now you've got me looking into my rubber legs collection. :lol: Although I can't see Steve's fly tucked in the back of that bass, I have no doubt it's world-class, as Steve's reputation always precedes him.

EO -- The fly I pictured is tied on a size 2/0 Gamakatsu B10S hook. It is exactly the same size and configuration as a size 2 Tiemco TMC8089 hook, although the Gamakatsu's wire is slighly thicker and stiffer. I use both interchangeably for these flies.

For me, the most challenging part of tying these flies is getting the different colors to line up well and clean and have them appear where I intended them to. But aside from colors, tying basic deer hair divers is not that difficult -- if you know basic fly tying and can hold a bunch of hair against the hook with one hand while you toss a few thread wraps around it and cinch it down tight without letting the hair move, well then you've already got what it takes. I say, give it a go!