PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for Cub Scout Fishing Derby

Mike O
03-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I have taken on the job of organizing this year's Woodland Cub Scout Pack 499 Fishing Derby on Sunday, April 25th.

I am hoping that some of you can help me come up with a location to take 20-30 youngsters out and catch some fish (species don't matter). This location would have to be within an hour of Woodland, to make it easier on the parents. The past couple of years have been kinda skunky for this group. Last year (my son's first) they went to a private pond (Yolo Sportsman's Club generously donated theirs) and got there a couple of days after the otters had left. No fish.

I realize that this is the day after the trout stream opener, but I don't want to take a bunch of Sub-Teens out along a possibly high water condition stream. I would have taken them to Solano Lake or Putah, but those places have been taken out of the mix through rule changes.

I was thinking of Seco, but haven't fished there, and don't know what late April is like.

I just want these kidlets to have a better-than-average chance of catching something. A pond fulla bluegill would be nice, as would trout, catfish, or any other fish.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

mike owens
maodiver@aol.com

Kyo
03-07-2010, 10:08 AM
1) Check your local scout office if you have not already. We used to have district meetings every month to keep all the packs and dens on track. Somebody at that level has done this before. About five years ago I used to draw info from Pow Wow internet sites. (Not to be confused with Native American Celebrations). These were brain storming sites for activities and special events. A step above the basic BOOK ideas.

2) Check with local fly fishing clubs. Here's a list: http://www.flycaster.com/clubs/alifornia3.html

3) Try your states offices of Fish and Wildlife:
Office of Communications, Education & Outreach
1807 13th Street, Suite 104
Sacramento CA 95811
(916) 322-8911

In Montana the closest "real" outdoor experience was 60 miles away for us. So we had to follow the scout rules for day trips AND travel. Lots of common sense stuff. Then you have to get OTHER parents to go along. In Montana, the parents MUST have a fishing license if they are going to touch the rod. Believe me they will, and you'll need them.

The lakes/pond we hit were mountain stream feed but also stocked by our Fish, Wildlife and Parks. We had to get their early to have a spot. Pinch all barbs on all hooks. Kids that caught up a storm got to help those who had no bites. Had to remember (and remind parents nicely) it wasn't a contest.

Well, that's more than you wanted to know.
But I feel your frustration with the skunk thing.

-k-

Darian
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Always had fun taking out a bunch of youngsters on trips.... :D Sounds like you're already getting some good advice. I'll point at some places to fish.

- Rancho Seco is not an easy April experience for bankies and it's probably more than an hour from Woodland.

- Mather Pond off Keifer Blvd. Sunnies , Catfish, Black Bass, stocked Trout.

- One Mile Pond and others in the Feather River Wildlife Area. Maybe a bit far and too rustic, tho.

- Arden Ponds along the American River at the foot of Arden. Stocked Trout and the usual suspects.

- Markely Cove on Lake Berryessa.

I'll get out a maps and do some leg work and get back to you with some more potential spots. :D

Mike O
03-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys...

Darian...what are the problems with Seco? I am going to go there to check it out next weekent (the derby is there too that weekend) with my kid. Thanks for the tips on the Sacramento ponds..Have only fished the Land Park ponds and was sorely disappointed.

Larry S
03-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Mike:
You might try getting ahold of Ryan Miller. He holds his "Downstream" fishing
event around Marysville. Being from San Diego, I'm not sure if that is close
enough for you. He has a posting under the "EVENTS" thread.
Best of luck,
Larry S

jburge
03-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Mike,

Are the "pay to play" locations out of the mix? If not, I know of some CFFU guys that enjoy going to Big M. Seems like everyone catches something.

http://www.bigmfishery.com/

Just an idea.

John

Darian
03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Mike,.... Rancho Seco is a great place for fishing stocked Trout from a pram, tube or pontoon but in a cool spring, like this one, the water temps may be too cool for good fishing from the bank.... Of course, all of that will change if April becomes very warm. I've fished it several times in April before with mixed results. :nod:

SMUD charges a fee per fisherman or vehicle (can't recall which it is) to fish at Rancho. It has good shoreline access on either side of the dam and if the water's warm enough there's a swimming beach on the east side. The upper end of the lake requires some leg work to fish but there're some trails. In April there won't be any worries about weeds. Later in the spring/summer weeds will become a problem. It has some large Black Bass, large Crappie and Sunnies in addition to the stocked Trout. Gotta locate 'em in April. Later in the spring they're in the shallows.... :nod:

Garfish
03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Hello maodiver,

I would concur with jburge for Big M for your derby. It is close to Woodland (est. 45 min.).
I was there for my son's Cub outing (back when he was a Cub) and with good parent participation, it should be fine. If I remember, the ponds have good sight lines to keep an eye on the boys. You should call them as I'm quite sure they will work with you as a Boy Scout organization or maybe your Pack could possibly kick in some funds to offset the cost.

You can even picnic there to break up the few hours (hour) of fishing and as you already know, the attention span can be.... short. I think this venue would give the boys the best chance of catching something. Pinch down those barbs, though.

garfish (Gary)

Mike O
03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
thanks for the suggestion of Big M...$15 a head is way too much for this group. I am thinking either Gibson Ranch or Mather Pond...any preferences? $5 a car is much better.

Darian
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Kiene's used to have a listing of ponds in the area on a hand out sheet (can't seem to find mine). The list had quite a number of ponds from all around the area on it. You might give the shop a call and see if they could mail it to you.... :nod:

Mike O
03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
thanks Darian,

I went onto the Sac Parks website, I think we are going to go check out Gibson Ranch, and maybe Mather. I just wish they offered some sorta deal where you pay to park at one place and it's good all day at all parks. I just hate to pay to park.