PDA

View Full Version : Dry Russian Saved Eel

wjorg
03-01-2010, 07:41 PM
No its not a drink...

http://m.pressdemocrat.com/pd/db_33266/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4nETIYkU&src=cat

Dustin Revel
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
No its not a drink...

http://m.pressdemocrat.com/pd/db_33266/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4nETIYkU&src=cat

its definately not a wine..

bait fisherman
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
This would be a great stride towards bringing the Eel back from the abyss, the problem obviously isn't this time of year, it is in summer when the river puddles up and they still divert water. But money talks, drinking water and irrigation for the wine industry have a lot of pull.

wjorg
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
FRiends dont let friends drink Sonoma County wines.

Fats
03-03-2010, 08:30 PM
FRiends dont let friends drink Sonoma County wines.

Hey now... let's not be rash!

wjorg
03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Im serious, boycott that crap.

They pull water to keep grapes from freezing, drying the creeks and killing salmon/steelhead and silver smolt.

Fertilizer and topsoil runoff...

It goes on and on.

lee s.
03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Agreed wjorg. But if they don't use it on the grape, they will surely use it in a new toilet. See ALL the NEW roofs locally?
.....lee s.
PS - Makes a lot of sense to rob the REAL native king salmon of the Eel's water to water the historically dry Russian river's fake "native" king salmon......yes?

Steelhead Guide
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
It seems like in just the last few years people have started caring more about water and fish than they used to. It's nice to see. Before it was how many dams can we put in and how much water can we divert now while people and farms still need water there seems to be more care in dam placement, water usage and care of water resources.
Its a battle that I hope our children and the wild steelhead win. Removing dams and restoring water flows and river beds, careful extractions, stoping the over planting of hatchery fish, creating barbless only and no wild fish kept regs and planting crops that are sutable to the natural areas that don't require such large water useage are all things that Wild Steelhead and us need to battle.

Covelo
03-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Sometimes what appears as obvious does not meet expectations. Wendy Jones, retired DFG biologist who did most of his work in the Eel watershed, questioned whether more water was the correct course as he thought that the main stem likely went subsurface during the summer historically and that extra flows were not natural.

One year I heard from Wendy that there was a small group of summer run adults sitting below Dos Rios on the Main Eel. I snorkeled from the confluence of the Middle Fork down stream probably 2-3 miles. In the Middle Fork the water temp was likely near 70 degrees and quickly went to 80 in the main stem. There were fry and squawfish in the Middle Fork but once I entered the main stem there was nothing, and nothing for the entire way down stream. One pool was nearly 20 ft deep with great structure but had no temp striation. Temp was the same at the bottom as the top. I later learned that the fish were much further downstream siting in 80-82 degree water. Hard to believe as this stretch was bath water and looked nearly sterile. It would take a lot of water out of Pillsbury to change the water temp in this reach enough to make a difference. The likely difference is that there would be a hell of a lot more squawfish.